- 1 Early life
- 2 Education
- 3 Political Affairs
- 4 Communist "Manifestivity"
- 5 Founders
- 6 Dedication to the striking "workers at Yale-New Haven Hospital"
- 7 2001, Solidarity with the Charleston 5
- 8 Open letter to Andy Stern
- 9 "Support Bill Ayers"
- 10 Critical Resistance event
- 11 April 4 Cambridge MA Teach-In on NATO
- 12 People's Congress of Resistance endorsers
- 13 References
Vijay Prashad is the George and Martha Kellner Chair of South Asian History and Director of International Studies at Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut. His most recent book is "The Darker Nations: A People's History of the Third World," New York: The New Press, 2007.
Vijay Prasad was born and raised in Calcutta.
Pomona College '89, History/Mathematics.
University of Chicago '94, History/Anthropology.
In September 1997, Vijay Prasad Boma, raised in Calcutta, wrote an article entitled "Mother Teresa: A Communist View".
Political Affairs is the online magazine of the Communist Party USA network and has also appeared as a monthly journal since at least the 1940's under an earlier name. The network includes the Communist Party USA, the Young Communist League and Political Affairs.
One of the many workshops at the Manifestivity was;
Dedication to the striking "workers at Yale-New Haven Hospital"
The May Day Supplement, page H, to the People's Weekly World May 20 2000, carried a dedication to the striking "workers at Yale-New Haven Hospital"
Signers included Vijay Prashad.
2001, Solidarity with the Charleston 5
The May Day Supplement, page C, to the People's Weekly World May 12 2001, carried a dedication from "Connecticut labor and community activists standing in solidarity with the Charleston 5"
Signers included Vijay Prashad.
Open letter to Andy Stern
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Critical Resistance event
Friday, May, 20, 2011 Riverside Church, South Hall Admission: $50-$250. (includes admission to main event -"The World We Want is the World We Need". Riverside Church, Nave 490 Riverside Drive. Admission: $20-$30
Host Committee: Rashidah Ismaili AbuBakr, Malaika Adero, Seth Adler, Shana Agid, Sam Anderson, Kai Barrow, Andrea Bible, Jean Carey Bond, Dorothy Burnham, Melanie Bush, Rod Bush, Angela Cali, Susie Day, Jesse Ehrensaft-Hawley, Joan Gibbs, Elspeth Gilmore, Farah Jasmine Griffin, Lennox Hinds, Esther Cooper Jackson, Peter Marcuse, Jerry Meyer, Charlene Mitchell, Mary Morgan, Mary Lou Patterson, Beth E. Richie, Shreya Shah, Alvin Starks, Farrah Tanis, Laura Whitehorn.
April 4 Cambridge MA Teach-In on NATO
"The 1% – What’s NATO Got to Do with It? Afghanistan, Libya, Russia, Iran, China & Economic Injustice" , A teach-in with Vijay Prashad, Ellen Frank & Joseph Gerson, was held April 4, 2012 Cambridge Friends Meeting, 5 Longfellow Park (off Brattle Street, near Harvard Square), Massachusetts.
- Peace and justice organizations, community based groups and Occupy are preparing to challenge militarism and austerity when the leaders of the NATO and G-8 nations meet in Chicago this May. Join us to learn what NATO and the G-8 have to do with the world’s wars, economic crises, and making the world safe for the 1%.
Vijay Prashad "is Professor and Director of International Studies at Trinity College, Hartford, CT. He is the author of Arab Spring, Libyan Winter. He will be speaking at the Counter-Summit for Peace and Economic Justice in Chicago, May 18".
People's Congress of Resistance endorsers
Party for Socialism and Liberation - PSL, August 9, 2017;
Conveners, and Endorsers (organizations and individuals) of the People's Congress of Resistance as of August 9, 2017 included Vijay Prashad .
- Political Affairs, December 1996, page 26
- Liberal Education website: Bill Ayers supporters
- Google groups Cardozo NLG › This Friday-Angela Davis|Ruth Gilmore|Vijay Prashad|Laura Flanders Amy Cross
- April 4 Cambridge MA Teach-In on NATO with Vijay Prashad, Ellen Frank, and Joseph Gerson, By swolman on February 24, 2012