Thom Hartmann is an award-winning writer, best-selling author, and the host of a daily radio show syndicated nationally. On talk radio, he is known as a voice of reason and not rant. His books include Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class, We the People: A Call To Take Back America, and What Would Jefferson Do? A Return to Democracy. His prophetic 1998 book on global environmental issues, The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight, inspired Leonardo DiCaprio's web movie Global Warming.
Hartmann reportedly traveled to the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe in the 1980s.
Hartmann admits to being a one-time member of Students for a Democratic Society.
Mike: Hi Chris and Thom, this is for both of you. Remember when we had a real movement in the late ‘60s, the radical left, they despised the liberals. And I wanted to ask you something, Thom, when you were with SDS were you one of the guys who spelled America with a K or were you less radical?
Thom Hartmann: Yes, I did. And we’ll leave the reminisces from the ‘60s at that. But Chris, I’m guessing you’re old enough to remember that era.
- ...we have assembled 100 notable Americans and 40 family members of those who died to sign this 9/11 Statement, which calls for immediate public attention to unanswered questions that suggest that people within the current administration may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war.
Progressive Democrats of America
The Russia Today Moscow-funded propaganda channel, aired a special program on Tuesday February 22, 2012, on how progressives in the U.S. can “Take Back the American Dream” by defeating Republicans. The propaganda effort was broadcast throughout the United States and produced in collaboration with major liberal groups such as the Campaign for America's Future, MoveOn.org and Demos, all of them George Soros funded.
The host was Thom Hartmann, who regards himself as the nation’s “number one” progressive radio talk-show host.
The “National Teach-In to Take Back the American Dream” featured Robert Reich, former U.S. Secretary of Labor; Heather McGhee of Demos; Leo Hindrey, a businessman and self-styled “Patriotic Millionaire;” Natalie Foster, the co-founder of Rebuild the Dream; and Robert Borosage of the Campaign for America's Future.
Nobody on the program, which also aired on DISH Network, DirectTV and the Free Speech TV Network, demonstrated any concern about appearing on a Moscow-funded channel to promote the “American dream.”
The Peoples' Inauguration
Progressive Central The Peoples' Inauguration was held Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the UDC David A. Clarke School of Law 5th Floor Moot Court Room, 4340 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
The event was sponsored by Progressive Democrats of America, The Nation, National Nurses United, Democrats.com and Busboys and Poets. The event was advertised and promoted by the Institute for Policy Studies.
The 1:00 pm-‐2:10 pm session "Organizing the Progressive Movement Inside and Outside the Democratic Party" was moderated by John Nichols, and featured Rep. Raul Grijalva -‐ Rep. Mark Pocan -‐ Thom Hartmann, PDA National Board/Radio/TV Host and Author -‐ Lori Wallach , Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch .
On May 15th, 2013 a national call-in was convened to promote Rep. John Conyers' bill H.R. 676, that would establish a non-profit, universal, single-payer health care program, an improved "Medicare for All" act.
- Quentin Young, M.D. - Single Payer Activist
- Thom Hartmann - National TV and Radio Host / Best-Selling Author
- Jean Ross - National Nurses United (NNU)
- Mark Dudzic - Labor Campaign For Single Payer
- Robert Score - IATSE-Local 1
- Willie Adams - International Longshore and Warehouse Union
- Kay Tillow - All Unions Committee for Single Payer Health Care--HR 676
- Tim Carpenter - Progressive Democrats of America
- Mimi Kennedy, Chair, Progressive Democrats of America
- Donna Smith - Chair, Healthcare not Warfare Campaign
- Benjamin Day - Healthcare NOW!
- Ture Turnbull - MassCare
- Maria Svart - Democratic Socialists of America
Another View of Hartmann From a British Conservative Writer
The PDA (footnote 1) introduction to Hartmann at the start of this page portrays Hartmann as a nice, sane, stable radio talk show host, but a very interesting commentary article about another side of him appeared on the internet website www.freerepublic.com on September 30, 2015.
Author James Delingpole, the British answer to Mark Steyn re his cutting humor and educational manner, has specialized in writing on "climate change", "global warming" and related science subjects.
Commenting on how Hartmann appeared to him when he appeared on his show, Delingpole summed it up as "Well I've been on Hartmann's show myself and I know that gibbering hysteria is how he rolls".
Delingpole's article "Shock Jock Thom Hartmann: Climate Change Deniers Should Be In Prison", 9/30/15, dealt with comments Hartmann made to noted science writer Paul Driessen when he was on Hartmann's show. (Delingpole did not put the date of the appearance but it apparently was recent so KW readers should Google "Hartmann and Driessen and Climate Deniers" to find the exact date.
Hartmann was reported as saying to Driessen, the following:
"You are paid to lie to people," he told skeptic Paul Driessen on his radio show.
"I am talking about racketeering, organized crime. I am calling you a criminal" said Hartmann, warming to his theme.
"You are killing people...You have five million climate refugees...Dead children, your responsibility...It's all the consequence of climate change."
Delingpole, in his column, presents his refutation of Hartmann's claims and issues a challenge for him to prove his statements.
KW suggests that interested readers read what both men have to say on climate change, etc. and see who sounds like "a voice of reason" and who doesn't.
- [http://m.thomhartmann.com/blog/2010/12/transcript-thom-hartmann-asks-chris-hedges-have-we-witnessed-death-liberal-class-9-nov-, Transcript: Thom Hartmann asks Chris Hedges, have we witnessed the 'Death of the Liberal Class'? 9 Nov '10 SueN's picture Submitted by SueN on 9. December 2010 - 6:19]
- 911 Truth statement
- FBF Speakers page, accessed Dec. 28, 2012
- Full Show 2/21/12: The "National Teach-in to Take Back the American Dream" Special, Submitted by Thom Hartmann A... on 22. February 2012 - 8:32
- PDA website, accessed Jan 15, 2013
- PDA, Healthcare not Warfare
- http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3343152/posts?page=21, "Shock Jock Thom Hartmann: Climate Change Deniers Should Be In Prison", James Delingpole, Big Journalism source