Steven Teles is Associate Professor of Political Science at Johns Hopkins University.
His books include, The Rise of the Conservative Legal Movement: The Battle for Control of the Law and Whose Welfare: AFDC and Elite Politics. He is the co-editor of two books: Conservatism and American Political Development and Ethnicity, Social Mobility and Public Policy: Comparing the US and UK. Teles is also the editor of Oxford University Press' book series on Contemporary American Political Development.
Teles' writings have been published in the New Statesman, American Prospect, Public Interest and Boston Review. He received his PhD in Government and Foreign Affairs from the University of Virginia in 1995, and his BA in Political Science from George Washington University in 1989.
Steven Teles, of Yale University, was an identified member of JournoList - an email group of approximately 400 "progressive" and socialist journalists, academics and "new media" activists.
JournoList members reportedly coordinated their messages in favor of Barack Obama and the Democrats, and against Sarah Palin and the Republican Party. JournoList was founded in 2007 and was closed down in early 2010.
Bernard L. Schwartz Fellow
New America Foundation
As at May 4, 2010, Steven Teles served as a Schwartz Fellow for the New America Foundation. Founded in 1999 by Ted Halstead, the Foundation is a leftist public policy institute which claims to be nonpartisan, and seeks pragmatic solutions to "the next generation of challenges facing the United States".
- Teles' profile with the fellowship
- Free Republic: JournoList: 151 Names Confirmed (with News Organizations), July 30, 2010 (accessed August 2, 2010)
- New America Foundation website: Current Fellows (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- New America Foundation website: About (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- New America Foundation website: Statement on Nonpartisanship and Political Activity (accessed on May 4, 2010)