- 1 New American Movement 10th convention
- 2 Supporter of the New American Movement
- 3 SEIU
- 4 DSA member
- 5 Center for Public Accountability
- 6 Democratic Left supporter
- 7 DSA Long Beach Facebook group
- 8 DSA Facebook group
- 9 SoCal Bernie supporters
- 10 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 11 Standing for AD 70
- 12 References
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Josephine Butler, Chair, Baltimore NAM and Steve Askin, DC NAM led a workshop entitled Race and Class in Urban Electoral Politics at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Supporter of the New American Movement
Center for Public Accountability
In June 2008 , SEIU Local 721 created a new Center for Public Accountability (CPA) to support external organizing by doing in-depth, action-oriented investigations and analysis on the quality, cost effectiveness and integrity of public services. The Center "will have an especially strong focus on privatized public services. It will provide support for campaigns to ensure that public funds are not used to fund substandard jobs; identify opportunities to partner with responsible public service providers and oppose abuses by irresponsible contractors. The Center will be linked to External Organizing and will work closely with other Local 721 Departments."
Center Director Steve Askin holds an MBA from Columbia University School of Business. During his 14 years with the International, he led strategic research that contributed to SEIU’s success in obtaining election agreements from such multibillion companies as Tenet Health Care and Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA). He is former investigative journalist who wrote for Business Week, the Christian Science Monitor, the National Catholic Reporter and many other publications.
Democratic Left supporter
- We join in celebrating Democratic Left’s 36 years of continuous publication.
Steve Askin was listed as a DL supporter.
DSA Long Beach Facebook group
Members of the Democratic Socialists of America - Long Beach Facebook group, as of January 26, 2017 included Steve Askin.
DSA Facebook group
Members of the California Democratic Socialists of America, statewide Facebook group, as of March 16, 2017 included Steve Askin.
SoCal Bernie supporters
Katrina Bergstrom September 27 2019·
We are canvassing for Bernie this weekend from 10am-2pm in East Hollywood, North Hollywood and West LA, anybody who canvasses gets a free limited edition Bernie pin! RSVP HERE: https://www.dsa-la.org/bernie2020
Which one is your favorite? — with Erika Alvarez, Megan Svoboda, Jessica Ann Bourque, Amarnath Ravva, Erika Feresten, Paul Song, Jeanine Rohn, Paul Krehbiel, Jane Demian, Karlenea Brown, Betty Doumas, Nicky Martin, Charles Du, Eric Wimer, Daniela Urso, Hsingii Tseng Bird, Max Goldberg, Jenni Chang, Maikiko James, Jeanna Harris, Will Shattuc, Michael Stenovec, Kyle Gaan, Brandon Rey Ramirez, Brenda Gutierrez, Steve Askin, Mason Mineo, Olivia Gamboa, Shawnee Badger, Wendy Fagioli Ruiz, Sergio Davila, Marlin Medrano, Mark Masaoka, Ben Hauck, Alex Wolinetz, Carrie Scoville, Joshua Smith, Henry Huerta, Tim Johnson, Staci O'Neal-Robinson, Steve Couch and Phillip Kim.
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Steve Askin.
Standing for AD 70
In 2019 Steve Askin stood from AD 70 for the California Democratic Party Central Committee.
As a Service Employees Union (SEIU) Research Coordinator, recently retired, I developed strategies used by tens of thousands of workers to build strong unions. And I led research for the California Fight for $15 in its successful drive to raise our states minimum wage.
For more than a quarter century, I have used my professional training as an accounting MBA to serve the public interest working with labor and social justice advocates to investigate and expose abusive nursing homes, slumlords, gun manufacturers, global arms traders, antiabortion movement funders and contractors that steal public jobs. I live with my wife and four children in Long Beach’s Rose Park neighborhood. I am secretary of the Long Beach Special Education Advisory Committee and a former LB Homeless Services Advisory Committee member. Long Beach has been my home since 2002.
I’ve been an anti-racist activist since my teen years, when I volunteered in the campaign for civilian review of police violence in New York City. I later worked in Chicago progressive politics, serving as Congressional press secretary for the late Harold Washington . I am an active member of the Democratic Socialists of America. I’m a proud member of the Blue Revolution slate of progressive grassroots delegates and I ask for your vote for me and the entire slate.
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- 10th Anniversary Booklet for the New American Movement, 1981
- Dem. Left, March/April 1995, page 22