Guidewire Consultant at Kimputing, Inc.
- Co-Chair at Williamson County Democratic Socialists of America
- Precinct 160 Chair at Williamson County Democrats
The debate over Republican plans to overhaul the nation’s health care system hit the streets of Austin on Thursday afternoon as some three dozen protesters rallied outside of Sen. John Cornyn’s downtown office.
People gather to protest changes to the Affordable Care Act outside Senator John Cornyn's office on Thursday, July 6, 2017.
Demonstrators waved signs, led chants and blocked the sidewalk in opposition to the Senate GOP plan to overhaul the Affordable Care Act, which would slash coverage for many and the taxes that help pay for it.
Austin police arrested seven protesters who were blocking the sidewalk. Derrick Crowe, a Democrat running for Texas’ 21st Congressional District, was among those taken into custody, his campaign confirmed on Thursday afternoon.
Crowe wrote about the incident;
- Health care bills don’t kill people. The Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA, the Senate version of the GOP’s Affordable Care Act repeal) isn’t a health care bill. It’s a tax cut for very rich people, financed by letting tens of thousands of people in my congressional district get sick, go bankrupt, and die.
- These folks deserve someone that will stand up for them when politicians and corporations abuse them this way. That’s why I just participated in a nonviolent act of civil disobedience outside Senator John Cornyn’s office, for which I was just arrested.
- Stand with us: Join our campaign to help us fight for health care for everyone in this country.
- I joined a several local groups (ADAPT, Central Austin People Power, the Austin Democratic Socialists of America chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, Indivisible Austin, Left Up To US, Our Revolution - Central Texas, Our Revolution - North Austin, Texas Alliance for Retired Americans-Austin, Texas Drought Project, and others) at a rally at noon today in front of Cornyn’s office to say no — no to the attack on the sickest, most vulnerable people in our community, and no to the politics of extreme greed that brought this legislative atrocity to life.
- And then, at about 12:20 p.m., a handful of us blocked the sidewalk, drawing a line in the sand against the attack on our families represented by this bill. Blocking pedestrian traffic resulted in our arrest. No one arrested the senator, though, whose office 15 floors above us has been dedicated recently to passing a bill to let thousands and thousands of us die each year.
- Republicans want to kick 22 million people off of health care and let almost 100,000 people die per year due to lack of care. That’s a horrific attack on the sick and injured.
- In moments like this, we are called to accept new risks to save our families and neighbors. Every person of conscience, from working-class folks out here in the district to Capitol Hill Democrats, must escalate their resistance to Trump and the GOP.
- We’re running a different type of campaign here in Texas, one that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with working people in Texas 21. We’re not taking corporate PAC money, and you can expect us to keep finding ways to fight not just from behind a microphone, but also in the streets. 
- on the Election of Danny Fetonte, August 2017
- Austin police arrest 7 protesters, including congressional candidate, at Sen. John Cornyn’s office Nolan Hicks 1:35 p.m Thursday, July 6, 2017
- Daily Kos, Democratic candidate for Congress arrested while protesting health repeal By dcrowe Thursday Jul 06, 2017
- The RagBlog By Alice Embree | The Rag Blog | July 12, 2017