Shane C. Brinton has been a grassroots community organizer ever since he was a teenager in Arcata, Northern California. He has been involved with The Placebo, Democracy Unlimited, the Tenants Union of Humboldt County, the Redwood Peace & Justice Center, Food Not Bombs, and a number of other organizations and causes. He has also managed the campaigns of local progressive candidates.
Dynamic Collective 2005
In 2005, the Collective running the Young Communist League magazine Dynamic, consisted of Shane Brinton, Cesar Casamayor, Melissa Chadburn, Julia Donahue, Maya Funaro, Cristina Gallo, Abdul-Aziz Hassan, Molly Kelley, Tony Pecinovsky, Kristy Ringor, Brandon Slattery, Mike Tyner, Keren Wheeler.
Supporting John Bowman
- I spent last summer in Missouri with the CP and YCL working on electoral politics. We knocked on hundreds of doors and got a black socialist progressive (John L. Bowman) elected as a state rep. He ran as a progressive Democrat against a white right-wing anti-choice Democrat that was backed by the Republicans.
- I would argue that the split has roots back in the earlier Browder Vs. Foster controversy. Browder wanted to dissolve the party and create an organization that would give permanent support to Democrats, whereas Foster, despite his flaws, was a genuine working-class organizer that saw the need for an independent Communist Party.
- The COC people took a similar line, while Gus Hall held that the party had an important roll to play in the struggle for Socialism USA.
- I see the same thing happening today. While the CPUSA has a basically correct strategy, it is being pushed to the right by people who want to see an alliance with the Democrats as a permanent part of the path to Socialism, while others (like myself) see it as a temporary strategic necessity designed to combat the rise of the ultra-right.
In 2008, Humboldt County Communist Alliance leader Michael Langdon mentioned Shane Brinton's name wistfully to me when asked how many young people are members of the Party. The 21-year-old is the youngest person ever to sit on the Northern Humboldt Union High School District (NHUHSD) School Board. He was also once a member of the Young Communist League USA . Not anymore.
Langdon showed a 2004 copy of Dynamic,the magazine of the Young Communist League. At the time, Brinton still served on the editorial committee and a fiery anti-war speech he'd delivered at a peace demonstration in Eureka earlier that year is featured in the issue. Except for in one paragraph when he rails against corporate America, urging workers to rise up against their bosses saying, "It is [the CEO's] employees, the rank and file workers, who actually produce the products and provide services that the CEO profits from," the speech seems to fall more into one of Meyer's categories of radically anti-war rather than radically communist.
Perhaps that explains why Brinton has since moved on to the Democratic Party. Still, Langdon spoke of the young man with hope. Regardless of his change of party affiliation, Langdon seemed to imply that Brinton's strong principles remain unwavering.
Democratic Party "Progressive Slate"
All of the candidates who ran on the Progressive Slate, in the 2012 California Democratic Party AD Delegate Elections, were elected! These newly elected CDP AD Delegates will represent us on the Democratic Party State Central Committee.
Circa 2013, Shane Brinton served on the CA Democratic Central Committee.
Mayor of Arcata
In 2013 Shane Brinton was mayor of Arcata.
Sacramento DSAIn 2016 Shane Brinton was a member of Sacramento Democratic Socialists of America. He signed the Give The People What They Want: DSA Members on 2016 and Beyond letter.
- Solidarity with those facing deportation and to all those who stood up to Scott Jones and Thomas Homan's xenophobia. Resiste! — with Shane Brinton, Hannah Williams and Andee Johanna Sunderland.
DSA Healthcare Rally
Phillip Kim with Shane Brinton and David Roddy, Jonah Paul, .Annabel Vera, Shirley Toy, Ellen Mack, April Ford, Mel Ody, David Hildebrand, Alyssa De La Rosa, Ian Lee, Andee Sunderland, Eric Sunderland, Sandra Delgadillo Kearns, Russell Rawlings.
April 11 2017· Sacramento, CA ·
- Mark your calendar for Wed. April 26, 11am! Sacramento Rally & Senate Health Cmte Hearing-SB 562's 1st Vote! If you support single payer / healthcare for all, we need hundreds of people there to make sure that the Senate Health Committee votes in favor of SB.
- John Shaban, Created group on October 10, 2017
- Russell Rawlings, Director of Advocacy Services at Resources for Independent Living
- Michelle Pariset, Elected Delegate, 7th Assembly District at California Democratic Party
- Jamie Thompson, Regional Director at SEIU Local 2015
- Shane Brinton, Statewide Field Organizing Coordinator at UC Student-Workers Union - UAW Local 2865
- Andee Sunderland, Mills College
- Jovana Fajardo, Director at Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment - ACCE South Sacramento
- David Roddy, Sacramento, California
- Phillip Kim, Community Organizer at California Nurses Association
- New Menu - A Directory Of Green Candidates Shane Brinton Election Campaign City Council, 2008
- http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/signatures.htm Hands Off Venezuela petition, accessed November 24, 2010]
- [Dynamic, Winter 2005, page 2}
- [http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w29/msg00305.htm Marxism mailing list archive, Re: [Marxism] Answer to Mr. Lause's challenge, Shane Brinton, Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:51:07 -0700]
- North Coast Journal Seeing Red The communist revolution hasn't failed in Humboldt County, it's just changed to meet the times BY JAPHET WEEKS may 08, 2008
- Sonoma progressive Democrats, Local Progressive Slate Wins Election to State Democratic Party Central Committee