Socialist Feminist Day School
January 30th, 2021.
The Socialist Feminist Working Group of the Democratic Socialists of America invites you to the first session of an eight week Day School. Beginning January 30, and meeting every other Saturday (02/13, 02/27, 03/13, 03/27, 04/10, 04/24, and 05/08), we will discuss key issues for socialist feminists, including identity politics, social reproduction, socialist feminism and labor organizing, reproductive justice, queer and trans socialist feminisms, sex work, and anti-violence organizing.
Our first session will provide an introduction to socialist feminist thinking and organizing. We will discuss the following readings:
- What is Socialist Feminism (2020) by Sarah Leonard
- “Aren’t Socialism and Feminism Sometimes in Conflict?” (2016) by Nicole Aschoff in the ABC’s of Socialism
- Theses 1 -3 from Feminism for the 99 Percent: A Manifesto by Cinzia Arruzza, Tithi Bhattacharya, and Nancy Fraser (2019) Pages 1- 16
Sarah Leonard: Senior editor at The Nation, and co-editor of The Future We Want: Radical Ideas for the New Century. She is also editor-at-large at Dissent and a contributing editor to The New Inquiry. She is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America.
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
The "Advisory Group" consistied of Greg Albo, Laura Flanders, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Rachel LaForest, Sarah Leonard, John Nichols, Frances Fox Piven, Bhaskar Sunkara, Maria Svart, Sean Sweeney, Bill Tabb, and Steve Williams.
PLENARY NO. 4 – OVERCOMING FRAGMENTATION AND REBUILDING THE LEFT
Michael Brie and Sarah Leonard discuss building left alliances and new trends on the left. How can the left rediscover and strengthen relationships amongst natural allies in the fight to defend the public sphere and defeat encroaching neoliberalism?
DSA Ella Baker & Lucy Parsons Training Closed FB Group
DSA Women's Caucus Facebook group
Left Forum 2018
Marx at 200: Everything Old Is Young Again
- Sarah Leonard (The Nation magazine)
- Biju Mathew (New York Taxi Workers Alliance)
- Yasmina Price (DSA National Afro-Socialist Caucus)
- Christoph Spehr (Die Linke, Germany)
- Kazembe Balagun (RLS–NYC)
- Anne-Kathrin Krug (Teaching "Capital")
- Jake Keller (High School student)
- Katharine Maller (Goethe-Institut NY)
- Chair: Albert Scharenberg (RLS–NYC)
Karl Marx 200
Panelists included Patrick Bond (University of the Witwatersrand/ South Africa), Jan Toporowski (University of London), Kohei Saito (Osaka City University, Japan), Judith Dellheim (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung). Moderation / facilitation: Frieder Otto Wolf (FU Berlin), Michael Heinrich (Berlin) Moderation: Antonella Muzzupappa (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung), Michael Hardt (Duke University, USA) Facilitation: Lars Stubbe, Mario Candeias (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung), Wolfgang Fritz Haug (Esslingen), Katja Kipping (DIE LINKE), Zhang Shuangli (Fudan University, Shanghai, China). Moderation: Rainer Rilling (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung), Gayatri Spivak, Daphne Weber, Arlie Hochschild, Maria do Mar Castro Varela (Alice-Salomon-Hochschule, Berlin), Paul Mason (Great Britain), Sebastian Puschner (FREITAG), Tithi Bhattacharya (Purdue), Luciana Castellina (Italien / Italy), Klaus Lederer (DIE LINKE), Vishwas Satgar (Wits University, Südafrika / South Africa). Moderation: Wenke Christoph (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung), Christina Kaindl (DIE LINKE), Klaus Dorre (Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena), Hans-Jurgen Urban (IG Metall). Moderation: Sebastian Friedrich (Journalist und Autor), Bernd Riexinger (DIE LINKE), Sarah Leonard (The Nation, USA). Moderation: Kerstin Wolter (DIE LINKE), Nausheen Quayyum (York University, Toronto), Mariana Stoler (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain), Karl-Heinz Roth (Stiftung für Sozialgeschichte des 20. Jahrhunderts, Bremen), Alex Demirovic (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt/M.), Kavita Krishnan (All India Progressive Women’s Association, Indien). Moderation: Mario Candeias (Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung), Hermann Klenner.
- page 9 • Democratic Left • Summer 2013
- [“Generation Left: Millennials Building the Next Socialist Movement,”schedule
- SOCIALIST STRATEGIES, accessed November 6, 2014
- [https://www.rosalux.de/publikationen/mediathek/livestream/ Livestream Videoübertragungen der Rosa-Luxemburg-Stiftung Marx200]