Roger Boesche teaches the history of European and American political thought at Occidental College in Los Angeles. He is also a socialist and a proponent of John Rawls' book, A Theory of Justice.
Teaching Barack Obama
Socialist activist Caroline Boss, socialist and feminist activist Susan Coll (then Susan Keselenko) and Barack Obama took classes from Professor Roger Boesche. Obama stated that he had "fond memories" of his time at Occidental,
- "It's a wonderful, small liberal arts college. The professors were diverse and inspiring. I ended up making some lifelong friendships there, and those first two years really helped me grow up."
- Loftsgordon Award (the senior class teaching award) twice
- Sterling Award given by his faculty colleagues for teaching and publication
- Linda and Todd White Teaching Prize
- Alexis de Tocqueville: Selected Letters on Politics and Society (1985)
- The Strange Liberalism of Alexis de Tocqueville (1987)
- Theories of Tyranny: From Plato to Arendt (1996)
- The First Great Political Realist: Kautilya and his Arthashastra (2002)
- Tocqueville's Road Map: Methodology, Liberalism, Revolution, and Despotism (2006)
- Occidental College website: Roger Boesche profile (accessed on May 10, 2010)
- LA Times: Occidental recalls 'Barry' Obama, Jan 29, 2007 (accessed on May 10, 2010)