In 1981 Robert Garcia was a Vice President of Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization.
Communist Party MLK tribute
We salute Dr. King’s courage and vision. He saw and struggled for an America and world that can be. We pledge in his memory to work to reorder our nation’s priorities “so that the pursuit of peace will take precedence over the pursuit of war.”
House Committee on Natural Resources forum
Democratic members of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources hosted a public Forum on Environmental Justice in Los Angeles on April 8, 2015, as part of a series of roundtables convened by Ranking Member Raul Grijalva that included "stakeholders traditionally left out of climate and environmental policy discussions". Grijalva moderated the forum and heard from members of Congress, state and local officials, community and business leaders and environmental advocates.
The goal of the Forum on Environmental Justice was to examine how to increase public participation through the National Environmental Policy Act; how to strengthen implementation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which “prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance,” according to the Department of Justice; and how to increase the effectiveness of Executive Order 12898 (Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations). The Forum also examined innovative efforts by the City of Los Angeles and the State of California to ensure that each community enjoys strong environmental protections.
- U.S. Representative Raul Grijalva
- U.S. Representative Grace Napolitano
- U.S. Representative Alan Lowenthal
- U.S. Representative Norma Torres
- U.S. Representative Linda Sanchez
- U.S. Representative Maxine Waters
- U.S. Representative Judy Chu
- L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis
- Joseph T. Edmiston, Executive Director, Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy
- Robert Garcia, Founding Director and Counsel, The City Project
- Andrew Yip, Program Coordinator, Bike San Gabriel Valley
- Noreen McClendon, Concerned Citizens of South Central Los Angeles
- Angela Johnson Meszaros, General Counsel, Physicians for Social Responsibility
WHERE: Los Angeles River Center and Gardens
- IVI-IPO Letterhead July 23 1981
- [http://democrats.naturalresources.house.gov/press-release/house-natural-resources-committee-democrats-and-ranking-member-grijalva-holding-forum, Press Release Mar 31, 2015House Natural Resources Committee Democrats and Ranking Member Grijalva Holding Forum on Environmental Justice in Los Angeles April 8]