"Teach In" about Fascism
Rita Dentino was a speaker at a REFUSE FASCISM event called "Fascism in America: Can It Happen Here? Is It Happening Here? What is the Danger the Trump/Pence Government Poses?" The event was held in New York City on April 27th, 2017 at the Church of The Village.
Here is an excerpt of her speech:
- "Trump inherited a horrible, ready made, broken, immigration system. He really didn’t have to create something, he inherited a prison industrial complex that many of you here are familiar with, and have been fighting for some time. And we know we have only 5% of the world’s population here and 25% of the prisoners. Immigrants are part of those in that prison industrial complex, and they are people of color. And that is a point, too, that is so important in this whole Trump regime, it’ people of color. I’ve also been reading that with his order of hierarchies, and in here comes this comparison of hierarchies of what is the “purist race” or what it is you want to call it, that picking out those “chosen people”—the white male is the highest of the hierarchy. Woman is not so high. There are many people talking now about the Handmaidens Tale—certainly people of color—when it comes to the immigrant hierarchy many are saying that immigrants of color are going to take the hardest hit, and they always have. And now they will, more than others."
- Sunsara Taylor, REFUSE FASCISM co-initiator
- Jay W. Walker, Steering Committee of the New York chapter of REFUSE FASCISM.
- George Prochnik, author, New Yorker contributor
- Kieran Suckling, a founder and Executive Director of Center for Biological Diversity
- Andy Zee, REFUSE FASCISM co-initiator, Revolution Books NYC spokesperson