Rainbow Coalition personnel
Rainbow Coalition personnel, national and state.
The Rainbow Organizer
- Editor Jamie Raskin
- Editorial Board Eric K. Easter, Frank Watkins, Minyon Moore, Don Luzamo, Noah Raskin
- Editorial Assistants - Tina Hamilton, Molly Skuitzek
- Arnold Pinkney - national director of Jackson for President, 1984.
- Barbara Honegger - Women's issues, 1984.
- Bill Chong - In 1984 Bill Chong was head of the Asian American Desk in that year's Jesse Jackson presidential campaign. Head of Asian- Americans for Jackson, 1984.
- Carolyn Kazdin - Coordinator for women's issues and farm issues, 1984.
- Darnell Goldson - National Jackson campaign worker, working with Massachusetts, 1984.
- Dennis Rivera - Rainbow Coalition leader.
- Desmond M. Desmond - An activist and attorney with the DC City Council, and an editor of the publication of the National Rainbow Coalition.
- Donna Brazile - 1984 Brazile became involved with the Rev. Jesse Jackson's presidential campaign, serving as mobilization director, and she also worked with the Rainbow Coalition. Donna Brazile was, in 1984, in charge of coordinating the constituency desks.
- Eddie Wong - National field director 1988 Jesse Jackson for President campaign.
- Emma Chappelle - Treasurer, Jesse Jackson for President Committee, 1984.
- Eric Easter - Dealt with the press during Jesse Jackson's presidential campaigns.
- Felipe Braudy - New Yorker of Puerto Rican descent, hired as a Washington-based coordinator for efforts among Hispanic Americans, 1984.
- Frank Watkins - Joined PUSH in 1971 and would later be communications director for the Jackson presidential campaigns.
- Gene Bruskin - Labor director for the Rainbow Coalition.
- Jack O'Dell - A principal advisor to Jackson for more than 20 years was Jack O'Dell. O'Dell assisted Jackson during his campaign for the Presidential nomination. He was International Affairs Director for Jackson's Operation PUSH in Chicago from the early 1960s onwards, and later for Jackson's Rainbow Coalition, where he served into at least the late 1980s.
- James Zogby - In 1984 and 1988 James Zogby served as Deputy Campaign manager and Senior Advisor to the Jesse Jackson Presidential campaign. National board member in 1987.
- Jamie Raskin - General counsel of the National Rainbow Coalition.
- Jon Saxton - Staffed the Peace desk, for 1984 campaign.
- Leila McDowell - Did some PR work for the Rainbow Coalition through Fenton Communications.
- Lisa Levine - Jewish liaison, 1984.
- Mario Obledo - From 1988 to 1993, Obledo served as chairman of the National Rainbow Coalition.
- Marisa Tamari - Formerly with the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee, coordinator of efforts among Arab- Americans, 1984.
- Melvin Reynolds - National Jackson campaign worker, working with Massachusetts, 1984.
- Ned Anderson, Arizona Apache, briefly hired, but possibly never served as coordinator for American Indians, 1984.
- Jesse Jackson, Jr. - National Field Director, Rainbow Coalition, 1983 -1995.
- Rep. Nydia Velasquez - In her speech to the Rainbow Coalition Leadership Summit, February 19, 1993, Velázquez paid tribute to the late Jesus Colon, a garment worker, Communist Party USA member and author of "A Puerto Rican in New York."
- Patricia Louise McGurk - Artist, volunteer, 1984.
- Ramon Jimenez -Teacher at Fordham University Law School and an organizer of Latinos for Jackson, 1984.
- Robert Borosage - In 1984 Institute for Policy Studies director Robert Borosage was brought into Jesse Jackson's campaign by Institute for Policy Studies fellow Roy Wilkins. To Jackson, he was a senior adviser. The relationship between "Jesse and IPS is built on me", says Wilkins. Jesse and I have known each other for a very long time, more than 20 years, since he was working for Martin Luther King, Jr. and I was in the Department of Justice.
- Ron Daniels - Organizing the Rainbow Coalition after ’84, became deputy campaign manager in 1988.
- Ron Walters - Political scientist who would be Jackson’s deputy campaign manager for issues.
- Roy Wilkins
- Shakoor Aljuwani - Became, in 1988. the Democratic Socialists of America staff person working to build support for the Rainbow. His work focused on building Labor for Jackson committees.
- Sheila Collins - National Rainbow Coalition campaign coordinator, 1984.
- Shirley Chisholm - Vice presidential candidate.
- Steve Cobble - Is a former Political Director and speechwriter for the National Rainbow Coalition, was National Delegate Coordinator for Jackson for President ’88, and directed the Keep Hope Alive PAC.
- Tim Carpenter - A trusted aide to the Rev. Jesse Jackson's 1988 "Rainbow Coalition" run for the presidency,
- Thomas I. Atkins - Of Boston, general counsel for the NAACP, Jackson's national campaign team 1984.
- Tony Bonilla, Jr. - Hispanic desk coordinator, 1984.
Behind the scenes staff
Those helping prepare the Spring 1988 edition of The Rainbow Organizer included Jack O'Dell, Dorma Lippincott, Patricia McGurk, Frances Williams, Jorge Belgave, Ileana Matamoros, Mary Parks, Sabrina Clay.
- Rick Adams
- Joseph Ahan
- Vicki Alexander
- Lavonia Allison
- Toney Anaya
- Billie Avery
- Rev. Willie Barrow
- Marion Barry
- Ken Blaylock
- Heather Booth
- Anne Braden
- Bruce Bushing
- Leslie Cagan
- Margaret Carter
- Rev. Benjamin Chavis
- Sherry Keason
- Wendell Chino
- Ed Coxen
- Barry Commoner
- Rep. Sherman Copeland
- Rev. Herbert Daughtry
- Ossie Davis
- Dave Dellinger
- Michael Diandria
- John David
- Rep. Al Edwards
- Daniel Ellsberg
- Arthur Eve
- Congressman Walter Fauntroy
- John George
- Maxine Green
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez
- Larry Hamm
- Merle Hansen
- Connie Hogarth
- Sasha Harry
- Dolores Huerta
- Sonia Ivany
- Clark Johnson
- Arthur Kinoy
- Maggie Kuhn
- Lawrence Landry
- Bert Lee
- May Louie
- Gwendolyn Lynch
- Robert Maestas
- Gene Mallet
- Julianne Malveaux
- Hilda Mason
- Rev. Sam McKinney
- Joe McMillan
- Bill Means
- Rev. Jack Mendelson
- Terry Cantano
- Mike Murase
- Henry Nicholas
- Hazel Obey
- Mario Obledo
- Camille Odeh
- Rosalinda Jalasias
- George Parris
- Gwen Patton
- Marion Penn
- Jan Pierce
- Rep. David Richardson
- Wilson Riles
- Bruce Roseti
- Gene Royal
- Delores Sanchez
- Barbara Simmons
- Damu Smith
- Dr. Bill Strickland
- Percy Sutton
- Odette Turner
- Carlyle Terrell
- Benny Thayer
- James Turner
- Al Vann
- Sabina Virgo
- Maxine Waters
- Rep. Jesse Weinberry
- Linda Williams
- Polly Williams
- Butch Wing
- William Winpisinger
- Ricky Bradley
- Michele Hasketh
- President -Jesse Jackson
- VP/Finances - Emma Chapele
- VP/Policy - Leslie Baskerville
- VP/Arab Americans - James Zogby
- VP/African-Americans - C. Delores Tucker
- VP/Jewish Americans - Balfour Brickner
- VP/Latinos - Evelyn Linares
- VP/Asian-Americans - Cindy Ng
- VP/Native Americans - Rhonda Langford
- James Demus - leader of the Arkansas Rainbow Coalition, 1985.
- Odies Wilson III - Director of Arkansas Rainbow Coalition, 1986.
- Barbara Lee - Chair of the California Rainbow Coalition.
- Bay Area Rainbow Coalition
- Dolores Huerta - Board member, 1987.
- Ellie Schnitzer - Activist, Los Angeles.
- Gene Ruyle - 1988-1989, member, Rainbow Coalition.
- Harry Hay A local founder of the Lavender Caucus of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition during the early 1980s.
- Luther Wallace - California Rainbow Coalition (cofounder).
- Mario Obledo - Board member, 1987.
- Maxine Waters - Board member, 1987. Co-chair of the California Rainbow Coalition.
- Mike Murase - State coordinator California Rainbow Coalition, Los Angeles. National board member, 1987.
- Ralph McKnight - California Rainbow Coalition caucus leader.
- Sabina Virgo - Board member, 1987.
- Vernon Sukumu - Jesse Jackson campaign, San Diego, 1984.
- Chet Whye, Jr. - Colorado Rainbow Coalition coordinator.
- Rev. J. Langston Boyd, Jr. - Shorter A.M.E. Church, was the former chairman of Jackson's Colorado Rainbow Coalition group as well as his Colorado campaign manager when Jackson campaigned for the presidency in 1988.
District of Columbia
- Hilda Mason - Board member, 1987.
- Julianne Malveaux - Board member, 1987.
- Marion Barry - Board member, 1987.
- Rep. Walter Fauntroy - Board member, 1987.
- David Mack - Co-chairman of the North Florida Rainbow Coalition.
- Edward Holifield - North Florida Rainbow Coalition.
- State Rep. James Burke - A national Jackson campaign leader.
- Reesce Joyner - Member of the North Florida Rainbow Coalition.
- Bennie Mitchell - Member of Georgia Rainbow Coalition.
- Joe Beasley - Head of Georgia Rainbow Coalition.
- Mable Thomas - Jackson student coordinator, 1984.
- State Rep. Tyrone Brooks - Chairman of the Georgia Rainbow Coalition.
- Nancie Caraway - Hawaii Rainbow Coalition.
- Neil Abercrombie - A Rainbow Coalition member.
- John Louis DeMello - Coordinator for Island of Hawaii Rainbow Coalition, Friends of Jesse Jackson.
- Scott Foster - Joined with Hawaii Rainbow Coalition to successfully organize and literally seize control of the moribund Democratic Party of Hawaii.
- Tracy Takano - Chair Hawaii Rainbow Coalition, Aiea.
- Camille Odeh - Board member, 1987.
- Dwight McKee and Helene Slessarev. "Illinois Taxes: A Principle of Public Interest". A report prepared for the Illinois Rainbow Coalition, Feb. 1990.
- Harold Washington - Rainbow sustained and supported numerous progressive politicians, including Paul Wellstone, Tammy Baldwin and Harold Washington.
- Heather Booth - Board member, 1987.
- Javier Noguera - Chicago Jackson voter registration leader.
- Joe Gardner, chairman of the Illinois Rainbow Coalition, 1990.
- Kgosi Matthews - Rainbow Coalition activist.
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez - Board member, 1987.
- William McNary - Over five election cycles, McNary has worked with the Rainbow/Push Coalition where he co-directed targeted voter registration and "Get Out the Vote" campaign efforts.
- Rev. Willie Barrow - Board member, 1987.
- Jesse Taylor - A Des Moines Democrat, in 1986, was named the temporary coordinator of the Iowa Rainbow Coalition.
- Ray Teeple - Iowa Rainbow Coalition.
- Tom Mohan - Director, Iowa Rainbow Coalition.
- Anne Braden - Organized Rainbow rallies in Appalachia that drew thousands of people. Rainbow Coalition board member 1987.
- Betsy Neale - Consultant Kentucky Rainbow Coalition, Lexington, 1987.
- Carla Wallace - Steering committee, Kentucky Rainbow Coalition.
- Faye Harrison - Kentucky Rainbow Coalition.
- Dr. Joseph McMillan - Chair of the Kentucky Rainbow Coalition, 1987.
- Cleo Fields - Jackson activist.
- Sherman Copelin - Former state representative and a chair of the Louisiana Rainbow Coalition.
- Carol Case - District 1 contact for Maine Rainbow Coalition.
- Ken Hayes - Temporary Chair Maine Rainbow Coalition.
- Alvin Poussaint - Jackson's co-chairman for Massachusetts, 1984.
- Boston Rainbow Coalition.
- Councilor Bruce Bolling, Chairman Massachusetts Rainbow Coalition.
- Bill Fletcher, Jr. - In 1984 Fletcher was the Boston labor coordinator for the Jackson campaign.
- Rev. Jack Mendelsohn - Unitarian minister who accompanied Jackson to Syria on the mission that freed Lt. Robert O. Goodman Jr., a captured US Navy flyer.
- Marva Nathan - Jackson supporter 1984.
- Mel King - Director of the Massachusetts Rainbow Coalition, 1985.
- Bennie Thompson, on May 5 1984, at the Mississippi Democratic Party convention, Bennie Thompson was elected to the DNC. An early Jesse Jackson supporter, Thompson had the support of all the Jackson delegates.
- Hollis Watkins - State coordinator for the Jesse Jackson campaign in 1984.
- Johnnie Walls - Chairman of the Mississippi Rainbow Coalition.
- Joseph Moore - Montana Rainbow Coalition
- Rhonda Langford Member of the Confederate Salish and Kootnai Tribes, Chairman of the Montana Rainbow Coalition.
- Merle Hansen - Board member, 1987.
- Steve Cancian - Jackson campaign manager, 1988.
- New Mexico Rainbow Coalition Organizing Committee, Inc.
- Toney Anaya - Board member, 1987.
- Arthur Kinoy - Board member, 1987.
- Connie Hogarth - Board member, 1987.
- Jan Pierce - Board member, 1987.
- Percy Sutton - Board member, 1987.
- Vicki Alexander - Board member, 1987.
- Marcia Fudge - In 1984 Marcia Fudge was an Ohio official of the Jesse Jackson for President campaign, delegate selection.
- Werner Lange - Rainbow activist, 1983-5.
- Cathy Travis - Oregon Rainbow Coalition
- Kathleen Saadat - Co-chair of the Portland Rainbow Coalition.
- Rhys Scholes - Oregon Rainbow Coalition.
- Susan Giese - Oregon Rainbow Coalition.
- Rep. David Richardson - Board member, 1987.
- Henry Nicholas - Board member, 1987.
- Maggie Kuhn - Board member, 1987.
- Richard Adams - State chair Pennsylvania Rainbow Coalition, 1988.
- Doris Wright - Jackson delegate to DNC.
- Gilda Cobb-Hunter - A progressive South Carolina legislator who was a 1984 Jesse Jackson delegate.
- Kevin Gray - Director of the South Carolina Rainbow Coalition.
- Lawrence Moore - Director of the South Carolina Rainbow Coalition.
- Michael D'Andrea - State coordinator of Tennessee Rainbow Coalition.
- Milo Guthrie - Tennessee Rainbow Coalition
- Bernie Sanders - Leading member of the National Rainbow Coalition.
- Ellen David Friedman - A founding member of the Rainbow Coalition of Vermont in 1984 and was a member of its first steering committee. She was also elected National Committeewoman for the Vermont Democratic Party in 1984. She was active in efforts to elect Jesse Jackson president of the United States in 1988.
- Michael Dana Bennett - Co-leader University of Virginia Rainbow Coalition, Charlottesville, 1988-1990.
- Cindy Domingo - An active member of the Washington State Rainbow Coalition in the 1980s.
- David Jette - In 1990 David Jette was active in the Washington State Rainbow Coalition.
- Dave Zink - 1991 Thurston County, Washington, Rainbow Coalition.
- Larry Gossett - In 1991, Chair, Washington State Rainbow Coalition.
- Phil Bereano - Founding member of Washington Rainbow Coalition.
- Whatcom County Rainbow Coalition.
- Velma Veloria - Worked in Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow Coalition in 1988.
- Gary Zuckett - West Virginia Rainbow Coalition.
- Helen Marie Taylor Powell - Board member West Virginia Rainbow Coalition.
- John David - West Virginia Rainbow Coalition, 1989.
- Marcus Wilkes - State Secretary of the West Virginia Rainbow Coalition.
- Annette P. Williams - Rainbow Coalition board member. Jackson for President, 1984 and 1988. Chairman of the Wisconsin Rainbow Coalition, 1986.
- Tammy Baldwin - Rainbow sustained and supported numerous progressive politicians, including Paul Wellstone, Tammy Baldwin and Harold Washington. Baldwin worked for the Rainbow in Wisconsin.