Rachel May explains that her grandfather refused to sign a "loyalty oath" presumably to prove that he was not a communist.
'Our Revolution' Endorsement
'Working Families' Endorsement
- The Oneida County Democratic Committee
- The True Blue Ny Grassroots Coalition
- Voices Of Women Cny
- Progressive Change Campaign Committee
'Rise and Resist' Rally for Rachel May
In April 2018, Rise and Resist hosted a rally for Rachel May.
From their Facebook invitation:
- "Join us as we rally for Rachel May, our next state senator in District 53. May, members of grassroots groups, and Democrat voters will meet for a short rally followed by voter education.
- "The IDC may have rejoined the Democrats for now, but they've been willing to ally themselves with the GOP since 2011 - and they've claimed to return to the Democratic fold before. New York deserves REAL Democrats who stand for progressive values, not Trump Democrats."
Letter to Independent Democratic Conference
In April 2018, IDC challengers Jessica Ramos, Robert Jackson, Alessandra Biaggi, Rachel May, Jasmine Robinson, Zellnor Myrie and John Duane released a letter to the Independent Democratic Conference, which is perceived by progressives as a conservative wing of New York lawmakers, which consist of Marisol Alcantara, Tony Avella, David Carlucci, Jesse Hamilton, Jeffrey D. Klein, Jose Peralta, Diane Savino and David J. Valesky. The letter derided the members for blocking a budget that would have allotted funds for issues like climate change, transgender rights, funding for illegal immigrants to go to college, and gun control.
True Blue NY
March 1st, 2018, New York, Today, more than 60 New York grassroots groups endorsed the following challengers to five members of the New York Senate’s Independent Democratic Conference (IDC): Alessandra Biaggi (District 34, Bronx and Westchester), Robert Jackson (District 31, Northern Manhattan), Rachel May (District 53, Syracuse area), Zellnor Myrie (District 20, Brooklyn), and Jessica Ramos (District 13, Queens).
The newly formed True Blue NY Grassroots Coalition is a diverse network of groups that have mobilized statewide with a unified goal to defeat the IDC. Coalition leaders spoke out today at a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan. The Coalition will eventually endorse challengers for all of the districts represented by IDC members.
“We stand here today not just because of stalled legislation in Albany, but because the IDC has been costly in other ways. Senator Jeffrey D. Klein and Independent Democratic Conference divide the Democratic Party when unity is paramount. We also stand here today because we’ve decided it’s time to take back our government and our Party,” says Carmela Gaines of Queens Huddle.