Purvi Shah is the Director of the Social Justice Institute at the Center for Constitutional Rights, a new training institute committed to building a diverse generation of movement lawyers to serve social movements in the US and across the world.
Purvi has over a decade of experience as an activist, organizer, attorney, and law professor. In 2006, she received a New Voices Fellowship to launch the Community Justice Project at Florida Legal Services. While there, Purvi worked collaboratively with community and worker organizations to represent tenant unions, public housing residents, immigrants’ rights groups, and taxi drivers.
From 2007-2011, Purvi served as a professor at the University of Miami, School of Law, where she co-founded and co-directed the Community Lawyering Clinic. Over the years, Purvi has become a regularly feature panelist and trainer on the connection between law and organizing, conducting numerous state and national trainings for law students and young lawyers. Prior to becoming an attorney, Purvi worked as a community organizer with youth in Miami, students in India and families of incarcerated youth in California. Purvi has received many awards for her work including the Rodney Thaxton Award for Racial Justice from the ACLU of Florida and the Miami Fellowship for Rising Civic Leaders from the Miami Foundation. Purvi is a graduate of UC Berkely School of Law at the University of California and of Northwestern University. 
National Leading From the Inside Out Alum
Organizing the Recovery
Organizing the Recovery: State-Based Activism on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was held at Capitol Skyline Hotel 10 “I” Street SW, Washington, DC May 10-12, 2010.
Participants included Purvi Shah - Florida legal Services.
Palak Shah March 20, 2014 ·
JOIN THE FIGHT: WWW.STANDWITHVIVEK.COM — with Alpen Sheth, Rashmi Murthy, Jessica Shah Patel, Keyur Shah, Shalini Pammal, Sarah Johnson, Sushma Sheth, Anjali Chelliah Sawe, Chris Lillis, Sunny Kishore and Purvi Shah.
Palak Shah June 12, 2015 near New York, NY ·
1st Anniversary of the #Ferguson Uprising
Maurice Moe Mitchell August 5, 2015,
- UnitedWeFight: 1st Anniversary of the #Ferguson Uprising - National Conference Call. Thurs. 8PM EST / 7PM CST Register at http://bit.ly/uwfcall — with Justin Hansford, Scott A. Roberts, Mary Hooks, Kayla M. Reed, Diamond Latchison, Kareem Jackson, Bukky Gbadegesin, Katrina Gamble, Tanya Lucia Bernard, Tory Russell, Cedric Lawson, Alicia Garza, Leslie Mac, Charlene Carruthers, Patrisse Cullors, Cherrell Brown, Dante Barry, Waltrina Middleton, Damon Turner, Marbre Stahly-Butts, Ash-Lee Henderson, Damon Davis, Thenjiwe Tameika McHarris, Mari Morales-Williams, Mervyn Marcano, Nicole Lee, Elandria Williams, Opal Ayo, Jonathan Pulphus, Dara Cooper, Michael McBride, Umi Selah, Osagyefo Sekou, Tara Tee, Rose Berry, Sistufara W. Muhammad, Purvi Shah, Cid Nichols, Ingrid Benedict, Jade Ogunnaike, James Hayes, Anita Nichole, Joe Worthy and The Movement for Black Lives.
- This picture was from my first trip to ECCHR with Michael and Vince when I started at CCR four years ago. It was on this trip that I had my first opportunity to sit down one-on-one with Michael as we had breakfast in a Berlin hotel. What surprised me the most in getting to know Michael was that he was equal parts tenacious freedom fighter and supremely humble mentor/friend. While he had every right to scoff at my crazy ideas as a young radical lawyer-he never did. Instead he encouraged me to think bigger, be more daring and never back down! I am grateful to have learned from him.
Purvi Shah Facebook, May 12 2016.
- Purvi Shah - Chandra Shekhara Bhatnagar and Ahmad N Abuznaid please spread the word in your networks about the petition.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those indicating interest in attending, on Facebook included Purvi Shah.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those expressing interest in attending, on Facebook included Purvi Shah.