Palestine Solidarity Committee
Template:TOCnestleft Palestine Solidarity Committee...
The PSC was set up by a group of marxists, mainly from the Guardian weekly group and with help from the once Trotskyite, later Stalinists Workers World Party WWP. It supported the PLO Palestine Liberation Organization and other radical "Palestinian" organizations in their terrorist activities against Israel.
The September-October issue of "Palestine Focus" carried the following membership recruiting description of the PSC: "We invite you to join us to work for Middle East peace and Palestinian rights. The Palestine Solidarity Committee PSC is a national grassroots organization working to change U.S. government policy to support steps towards a just resolution of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. The tremendous upsurge of the Palestinian intifada has struck a responsive chord with many Americans."
"You can help reach these potential supporters and to press our government to support self-determination for the Palestinian people through the United National international peace conference and an independent Palestinian state."
"You can help build a grassroots, activist movement which can organize for a just peace. Your political commitment, in the form of membership in PSC, will help to achieve this goal. As a member, y ou will receive "Palestine Focus" and our bimonthly "Members Update" with reports on the latest PSC activities across the United States."
Guardian ad, May 25, 1988, p. 9, National Day of Protest to End Israeli Occupation
A full-page ad appeared in the weekly marxist-maoist U.S. publication, the ''"Guardian"'' on May 25, 1988, page. 9 under the there of "National Day of Protest to End Israeli Occupation", calling on people to "Demonstrate" Saturday, June 4, 1988". Its themes were:
- Stop the Killing, Beating, Imprisonment, and Expulsion of Palestinians
- End the Israeli Occupation of the West Bank and Gaza
- Stop U.S. Funding of the Occupation
Demonstrations were scheduled for New York City, Chicago, Houston and San Francisco.
A clip out box for donations listed the following addresses for them to be mailed to:
- P.O. Box 27462, San Francisco
- P.O. Box 372, Peck Slip Station, NY, NY 10272
The list of endorsers was very long and contained the core of the PLO Lobby with subunits in it consisting of members of the Communist Party USA CPUSA and its supporters, members of the Workers World Party WWP and its supporters, the various "lobbies" supporting the communists in Central America, some of the old Anti-Defense Lobby, the Castro Lobby, and other communist, radical and pro-PLO organizations. This list is a goldmine of communist/far-left radicals who were active at that time and still are right through 2010.
- African National Congress -ANC
- African & Caribbean Resource Center
- All African People's Revolutionary Party - AAPRP, the avowedly marxist-leninist party of Stokely Carmichael aka Kwame Toure, the former SNCC leader turned communist agitator and international marxist activist
- Alliance Against Women's Oppression - AAWO
- Alliance for Philippine Concerns
- All Peoples Congress - APC, a WWP front
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee - AAADC AADC ADC - started out as an amalgamation of pro-PLO individuals and CPUSA members/supporters. Later became dominated by Arab-Americans activists.
- American Indian Movement - AIM Colorado
- American Jewish Alternatives to Zionism
- American Postal Workers Union - APWU
- American Ramallah Club of Hempstead, N.Y. - American Ramallah Club
- Arab-American Institute - AAI, another Jim Zogby creation James Zogby (along with PHRC and AAADC AADC ADC
- Arab-American University Graduates Association - AAUGA AAUG, once led by communist sympathizer/attorney Abdeen Jabara
- Naseer Aruri - Southeastern Massachusetts University - one of the leaders of the pro-PLO movement for decades
- Asian-American Union for Political Action
- Association of Haitian Workers - possibly a WWP front
- Association of Palestinians for Return
- Rabbi Elmer Berger - literally a one man "anti-zionist" movement and well known supporter of Arab causes
- Ken Betman - V.P. National Capital Southern Maryland Local, Black Men's Movement Against Crack
- Brigada Companera
- Charlotte Bunch - New Jersey Chair in Women's Studies, Rutgers University, a veteran leftist in the Hanoi Lobby, "lesbian feminist author and organizer"
- Leslie Cagan - National Coordinator of [[SSD-III National Coalition; also a "lesbian feminist and organizer". One of the leaders of the Hanoi Lobby, the Anti-Defense Lobby, the Castro Lobby and just about every other cause that was anti-America. Also a member of the CPUSA split-off, the Committee of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism COC
- Cadena de Solidaridad con Chile y Latinoamerica
- Campaign for Peace and Democracy in Iran
- Campaign to End U.S. Intervention in the Philippines
- Casa Chile
- Casa Chile - Salvador Allende
- Casa El Salvador
- Case Puerto Rico
- Casa Westchester - Central American Solidarity Association Westchester
- Center for Immigration Rights - CIR
- Chicanos Against Military Intervention in Latin America CAM
- Ed Childs - Co-Chief Steward, Local 26 HERE, Boston HERE
- Gene Clancy - Local 3118 AFT, AFL-CIO, delegate to Rochester-vicinity labor council AFL-CIO
- Jan Clausen - lesbian feminist author, Central American solidarity activist
- Clergy and Laity Concerned CALC
- Coalition Against Anti-Asian Violence
- Colectivo de Mujeres Domincas
- Colectivo per la Emancipacion de la Mujer(NY)
- Committee for a Democratic Palestine
- Committee in Defense of Hartford 15 - San Francisco
- Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador CISPES
- Committee to Advance the Movement for Democracy and Independence in the Philippines
- Noam Chomsky - MIT
- Connolly Welfare Fund
- David Cortright - SANE/Freeze SANE Freeze Nuclear Freeze
- Council of Presidents of National American Arab Organizations
- Ana & Standing Deer - Ana Deer Standing Deer
- Ada Edwards - TransAfrica Committee TransAfrica
- Kathy Engel - National Director, MADRE
- Euskadi Basque Committee
- December 12th Coalition - Organizers of Days of Outrage, a WWP front
- Dominican Workers Party
- Mike Farrell - actor and director
- Samih Farsoun - editor, "Arab Studies Quarterly"
- Gil Gerald - board member, National Coalition of Black Lesbians and Gays, Washington, D.C.
- Mike Gimbel - President, Water Resources Chapter Local 375 AFSCME, (longtime WWP supporter)
- Yvonne Golden - Exec. Council, US Peace Council
- Jewelle Gomez - lesbian author and activist
- Mike Green - Treasurer, Local 205 DC 1707 AFSCME
- George Gruenthal - Council of Jewish Federations, Union Chapter Co-Chair, Local 107 DC 1707, AFSCME
- ''"Guardian"'' - (U.S. marxist weekly)
- Guatemala News and Information Bureau
- Elaine Hagopian - Simmons College
- Haitian Information Center - SELA
- Gwendolen Hardwick - performer, activist
- John M. Hart - author, "Revolutionary Mexico", University of Houston
- Gerald Horne - counsel, Local 1199, Hospital Workers Union , Local 1199 Hospital Workers Union, (open CPUSA member)
- Hotel Tenants Rights Project - Staff Caucus
- Jane Hunter - publisher, Israeli Foreign Affairs
- ''"International Correspondence Magazine"''
- International Indian Treaty Council IITC
- Irish Women's Studies Group
- Abdeen Jabara - - Ex. Dir., ADC AADC, (NLG), OAAUG or OAAS CHECK, MIGHT BE BOTH
- Grantland Johnson - Sacramento County Supervisor
- Rashid Khalidi - University of Chicago, LATER A KEY FRIEND OF BARACK OBAMA
- Steve Kirschbaum - Vice President, Local 8751, USWA, Boston (longtime WWP supporter)
- Ron Kuby - attorney, (CCR) CHECK ON NLG
- William Kunstler Esq
- La Raza Legal Alliance - La Raza
- Susan Lesser - Lead Steward, AFSCME Local 2250 Maryland [AFSCME]] Local 2250
- Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
- Lower East Side Mobilization for Peace Action LEMPA
- Barbara Lubin - former president, Berkeley Board of Education (leading anti-Israel radical on the West Coast) Berkeley
- Key Martin - Unit Chapter, Newspaper Guild #3 - (member of the WWP)
- David McReynolds - Chairman, War Resisters League International, War Resisters League WRL (key member of the Hanoi Lobby
- MERIP - ''"MERIP Middle East Report"''
- Harold Mendlowitz - president, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1202, Greyhound Workers, NYC, Albany, Hartford, Montreal
- Middle East Crisis Committee - New Haven, Ct.
- Middle East Peace Network MEPN
- Mujeres por la Base de Chile
- Rev. Darrel Meyers
- Fouad Mogannam - president,Independent Grocers Association, S.F.
- Mid-Atlantic CISPES - CISPES
- National Alliance of Third World Journalists NATWJ
- Craig Newman - Maryland State Exec. Board member, AFSCME (longtime WWP supporter)
- New York CISPES - CISPES
- New York Marxist School - (affiliated with the ''"Guardian"'' weekly newspaper
- New York Mobilization for Survival NYMFS MFS
- New York Nicaragua Construction Brigade
- New Yorkers Against the Israeli Occupation
- Osha Newmann - Berkeley Police Review Commission Berkeley
- Gus Newport - former Mayor, Berkeley
- Nicaragua Information Center
- Nicaragua Solidarity Network of Greater New York
- Father Bill O'Donnell - St. Joseph the Workman Church, Berkeley
- Organization of Asian Women
- Palestine Coordinating Committee - national
- Palestine Human Rights Campaign PHRC
- D. Lloyd Parker - Director SHAPE Center Houston
- Patrice Lumumba Coalition
- Peace & Solidarity Alliance
- People's Antiwar Mobilization PAM - well documents WWP front
- Betty Powell - National Coalition of Black Lesbians and Gays
- Puerto Rican Committee Against Repression
- Tommie Quintana - Houston LULAC
- Radical Women Riverside Church Disarmament Program - Riverside Church
- Cheryl Rubenberg - Florida International University
- Mark Rudd - Albuquerquepeace activist; (former SDS leader)
- Trudy Rudnick - Sec. AFT #3882 AFT
- SANE/Freeze Campaign - SANE Freeze Nuclear Freeze
- Maudelle Shirek - Berkeley City Council Berkeley (an old red in Berkeley)
- Sale Solladay - pres., National Association of Arab-Americans NAAA S.F. Bay area
- Somos Hermanas
- South West Africa People's Organization SWAPO - marxist terrorist group that took over Namibia
- Tom Spence - chairman, Power District Section TWU #100 TWU
- Jack Spiegel - Chicago Peace Council CPC, (longtime identified CPUSA member and labor leader), Hanoi Lobby
- Joe Stork - editor, "MERIP Middle East Report"
- Allen Strasburger - Shop Steward, CWA 1 #1039
- Third World Center - University of Colorado, Boulder
- Edna Toney - actress
- Robert R. Trayham - Shop Steward, Local 8751 USWA, Boston
- Union of Palestinian Women's Associations
- U.S. Peace Council (USPC) - (a CPUSA front; affiliate of Moscow's World Peace Council)
- Veterans for Peace #12 - VFP
- Sabina Virgo - Rainbow CoalitionNational Board
- Gary Ward - president, Local 3118 AFT, AFL-CIO
- Leonard Weinglass - attorney
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom WILPF
- Westchester People's Action Coalition WESPAC - (member of the Anti-Defense Lobby)
- Women's International Resource Exchange WIRE
- Young Koreans United of New York - probable WWP front chapter
- James Zogby - Exec. Dir., Arab-American Institute AAI Jim Zogby
"Palestine Focus" newspaper
The PSC published a bimonthly newspaper known as "Palestine Focus" at:
- PSC/PF, P.O. Box 27462, S.F. CA. 94127
- PSC National Office, P.O.Box 372, Peck Slip Station, NY, NY 10272, (212) 227-1435, Fax (212) 227-1581
- Midwest Regional Office, 1608 N. Milwaukee, #404, Chicago, IL, 60647, (312) 342-2986
The issue of September - October, 1990 featured the following Staff, writers and subjects of interest:
- Steve Goldfield - Editor
- Hilton Obenzinger - Associate Editor and contributing writer from Israel for the maoist "Guardian"
- Sharon Rose - Associate Editor
- Ginny Kraus - Managing Editor
- Bill Hofmann - Assoc. Managing Editor
- Douglas Franks - Circulation & Advertising
- Jeanne Butterfield - Contributing Editor
- Rabab Hadi - Contributing Editor
- Riyad Khoury - Contributing Editor
- Howard Levine - Contributing Editor
- Jill Hamburg - Contributing Editor - possibly the same person who worked with the leftist Washington Peace Center in Washington, D.C. or with another leftist women's group. TO BE CHECKED
- Steve Goldfield - interview with Noam Chomsky on "U.S. Rejectionism Bars Any Authentic Peace Process"
- Rabab Hadi - "Nelson Mandela and Palestine"
- Jeanne Butterfield - "NGOs Hold Symposium" - important little blurb about the formation of the North American Coordinating Committee that was formed at the United Nations on June 27-29, 1990 at the "Seventh North American Regional Symposium on the Question of Palestine". This will be listed further down this site.
- Sharon Rose - there was a leftist activist in D.C. in the 1970's-80's by this name, and was one of the hardcore leftists in small Jewish groups of marxists and progressives.
- Howard Levine
- M. G. Holt - Amherst, Massachusetts, Letters to the Editor, open PSC member
- Fred Danfoura - age 12, S. F., a poem entitled "A Rubber Bullet"
- Philippa Strum - interview with by Rabad Hadi, June 1990, DC. Strum "is a professor of Political Science, specializing in constitutional law, at the City University of New York. She was founding president of the American-Israel Civil Liberties Coalition and is a member of the Board and the Executive Committee of the American Civil Liberties Union ACLU. Ms. Strum is also a former visiting research fellow at theTruman Institute of the Hebrew University."
Special Announcements of Events or Organizations in this Issue of "Palestine Focus"
- p. 2 - "NGOs Hold Symposium", Jeanne Butterfield, re a meeting at the U.N. from June 27-29, 1990, with more than "one hundred North American nongovernmental organizations" at the "Seventh North American Regional Symposium on the Question of Palestine". "Presentations focused on the intifada and U.S. and Israeli obstructionism and intransigence, which continue to block a solution to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict."
"The new North American Coordinating Committee is composed of the following:
- Palestine Solidarity Committee PSC, Chair, Jeanne Butterfield
- Near East Cultural and Educational Foundation of Canada - Vice-Chair, James Graff
- National Lawyers Guild NLG - Secretary, Colleen McGuire
- Women Concerned About the Middle East - Treasurer, Ann Barhoum
- Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee AAADC AADC ADC
- Canadian Council of Churches
- EAFORD Organization for the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination - a phone-booth operation of anti-Israel extremists
- General Board of Global Ministries, United Methodist Church - General Board of Global Ministries United Methodist Church - a key religious member of the Hanoi Lobby
- International Jewish Peace Union
- Middle East Justice Network
- Presbyterian Church USA - another member of the Hanoi Lobby
P. 2: "Palestine Academic Freedom Network Formed - Nielson Bill Still Needs Cosponsors": "As the result of a well-attended conference in Washington, D.C., in June, Palestinian and North Americans students and faculty established a new Palestinian Academic Freedom Network PAFNET. PAFNET will work to defend Palestinian academic freedom and will coordinate work in North America to support the reopening of Palestinian universities and to establish stronger ties between U.S. and Palestinian universities and student bodies."
[NB: Some Palestinian universities, esp. Beir Zeit, were closed because the were bases of operations for violent student demonstrations against Israel, Israeli police, soldiers and civilians, as well as being a base of some terrorist operations].
p. 7: "American Library Association Debates Condemnation of Israeli Censorship": "David Williams, a Chicago librarian, Palestine Solidarity Committee member, and coordinator of the Committee on Israeli Censorship, has sent a report to "Palestine Focus" on his group's work to get the American Library AssociationALA to go on record against Israeli censorship in the West Bank and Gaza. The ALA's influential Social Responsibility Roundtable passed a resolution condemning Israeli censorship practices at the ALA's June meeting, and Williams committee is continuing a campaign to get the entire ALA on record. For more information to to become involved in the campaign, contact David L. Williams, reference librarian, Chicago Public Library, Social Sciences and History Division, 400 N. Franklin, Chicago, IL, 60610, (312) 269-2953."
NB: The ALA has been long infiltrated by communists and other radicals, often led by old Venceremos Brigademember, and contributing writer to the Communist Party newspaper, the "Daily World", Ann Sparanese. There is more to her record which will be published under her own page. She led the fight to prevent the ALA from condemning Castro's imprisonment of Cuban writers and free-speech activists.
p. 3: Ad, "Mobilizing for Palestinian/Israeli Peace: A U.S. Agenda for the '90s", Palestine Solidarity Committee
Featured speakers include:
- Prof. Edward Said - (a member of the Palestine National Council, Professor at Columbia University)
- Jack O'Dell - (covert but identified member of the CPUSA, a former National Officer, top aide to the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Rev. Jesse Jackson, SCLC, Operation Breadbasket, Operation PUSH, Rainbow Coalition, Hanoi Lobby)
- Chaya Amir
- Ibrahim Abu Lughod
- Gus Newport - (the marxist mayor of Berkeley, CA)
- Barbara Lubin - (a leading marxist-oriented, anti-Israel radical on the West Coast); leader of the far-left Middle East Children's Alliance MECA, 2140 Shattuck Avenue, #207, Berkeley, CA, 94704 (415) 548-0542 (also had information abou tthe Middle East Response Network. (another group in this anti-Israel lobby is the Middle East Peace Network MEPN, P.O. Box 21615, Oakland, CA, 94620)(There is a very strong interlocking membership between all these groups)
- Nubar Hovsepain
- Hilda Silverman
- Sari Nusseibeh
- Connie Hogarth - extreme leftist from WESPAC, Hanoi Lobby and other pro-communist groups
- Naseer Arurri
- Vivian Stromberg
- Gene Bruskin
- David Schilling
- peg McCormack]]
- Maha Nassar
- Kathy Engel - a leader of the pro-FMLN and Sandinista Lobbies; later with the leftist/marxist coalition Up For Democracy 2006 and KickAss Artists NY, 2006; also, from Information Digest, Feb. 8, 1985, p. 44, "poet and director of MADRE(whose program director is Digna Sanchez, a leader of the Castroite and Marxist-Leninist Puerto Rican Socialist Party PSP, was a staff organizer for the 1982 June 12 "March and Rally for a Nuclear Freeze and Disarmament," helped organize the "No More Witch Hunts" protests for the Fund for Open Information and Accountability FOIA (KW: a heavily CPUSA-dominated organization), and held leadership posts in the late 1970s with the Coalition for a People's Alternative CPA and the anti-nuclear SHAD Alliance." (MADRE) was a support front for the marxist guerrilla movement FLMN in El Salvador during the 1980s along with NEST and Medical Aid to El Salvador MAES). She was also a speaker at the memorial service for open CPUSA international activist (and probable Soviet or Cuban agent-of-influence, Sandy Pollack who died in a plane crash coming from Cuba Jan. 19, 1985..There is also a tribute book called "Sandy Pollack" in which Engel's poem is published, along with the names of the rest of those who paid tribute to this international Communist operative. See the page "Sandy Pollack" for more information (in formation).
The address for the Palestine Solidarity Committee was: 11 John Street, Suite 806, New York, New York, 10038, (212) 227-1435
Committees of Correspondence Connection
People's Progressive Convention
Endorsers included Palestine Solidarity Committee .
- Information Digest, February 8, 1985, Vol. XVIII, #3, "Sandy Pollack",
- Chicago CoC "Membership, Subscription and Mailing List" 10.14.94