Democrats choose Omar Suleiman to Pray
Omar Suleiman gave the opening invocation for Congress in May 2019 after being invited by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson. He has referred to Israel as an "apartheid state" and called for a "Palestinian uprising".,
- "CCF had a strong presence at the 44th Annual ICNA-MAS Convention in Washington DC last weekend with two panels and a table. We were honored with the presence of Imam Omar Suleiman, who set the tone of the session from an Islamic perspective. Journalist Murtaza Hussain provided an excellent analysis of the current “war on terror”, setting the historical background and tracing how we got to where we are today. Other speakers were Coalition for Civil Freedoms Legal Director Kathy Manley, Steve Downs, Chair of the Coalition for Civil Freedoms Board of Directors, Hawa Wehelie (impacted family member) and Sabri Benkhala (former prisoner). Panels were moderated by Laila Al-Arian and Dr. Jonathon Brown.
Muslim Collective for Equitable Democracy Conference
In July 2019 Congressmembers Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Judy Chu, Susan Wild and Betty McCollum addressed the inaugural Muslim Collective for Equitable Democracy Conference and Presidential Forum July 23-24 at the Washington DC National Housing Center.
Other speakers included Keith Ellison, Abdul El-Sayed, Khizr Khan, Basheer Jones, Omar Suleiman, Sam Rasoul, Zahra Billoo, Catherine Orsborn, Corey Saylor, Daniel L. Weiner Delia Mogahed, Prof. Asifa Quraishi-Landes, James Zogby, Farhana Kheera, Suhail Khan, Mike Ghouse, Zainab Cheema, Sister Simone Campbell, Scott Simpson, Shaun Kennedy, Ken Martin, Sadaf Jaffer, Dilara Saeed, Luqmaan Bokhary, Nabilah Islam, Movita Johnson-Harrell, Rummi Khan, Ghazala Hashmi, Shahed Amanullah,Sevim Kalyoncu, Ani Osman-Zonneveld, Yasmeen Awwad, Amira Daugherty, Sabina Taj, Asina Silva, Dr. Jay Jalisi.
On the border
CAIR - Greater Los Angeles December 10, 2018:·
This what Protest looks like.
Members of CAIR, faith leaders, community partners and supporters prepare to head to the U.S.-Mexico border with @afsc_org as part of the #LoveKnowsNoBorders: A Moral Call for Migrant Justice mobilization. — with Ahmed Bedier, Danette Zaghari-Mask, Taha Hassane, Mejgan Afshan, Zahra Billoo, Omar Suleiman, Yasmine Taeb, Hussam Ayloush, Asma Rehman, Maytha Alhassen, Ismahan Abdullahi, Imraan Siddiqi and Shakeel Syed.
Hussam Ayloush October 15, 2017:
(Many of my local beloved imams and Shuyukh are missing from this picture) — attending ICNA Relief So Cal Oct.14th Benefit Dinner with Nomaan Baig, Furhan Zubairi, Jameel Besada, Omar Suleiman, Anas Amla and Ahmed Ibn Aslam at Hilton Anaheim.
Arrested at Ryan's office
March 5, 2018, several Muslim-American leaders were arrested at the US Capitol while urging Congress to stand against President Donald Trump's effort to end a programme that protects certain young immigrants.
Omar Suleiman, Dawud Walid, Mujahid Fletcher, Talib Shareef and Nihad Awad of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), Zahra Billoo, and Linda Sarsour advocated immigration reform before getting arrested.
The protesters participated in an act of civil disobedience at the office of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Paul Ryan, demanding that he meet them to hear their concerns.
Demonstrations have taken place in major cities across the US in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) programme that protects young undocumented immigrants from deportations.
Fletcher, who also came to the US as a child from Columbia, said he shared the experience of the Dreamers, people who came into the US illegally as children.
"We don't want to live based on fear. We want to live according to the principles of freedom of speech, of religion," he said.
"We stand here in the spirit of Malcolm X with the people who are affected by these policies."
"This is creating real fear," Suleiman said, adding that the imams are fighting white supremacy because Islamophobia, racism and hostility against immigrants all stem from the same roots.
- KKK, apartheid, ethnic cleansing: The anti-Israel fury of imam chosen by Democrats to give Congress prayer accessed May 10 2019
- ISRAEL-BASHING IMAM DELIVERS OPENING PRAYER AT HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES accessed May 10 2019
- Ilhan Omar's tweet accessed May 10 2019
- Linda Sarsour's tweet accessed May 10 2019
- [http://www.civilfreedoms.org/?p=25929 accessed on May 23 2019
- Al Jazeera Linda Sarsour arrested at Paul Ryan's office, March 6, 2018