Occupy San Francisco
Police called off a raid that had apparently been planned for pre-dawn hours on Thursday, Oct. 27. Supervisors John Avalos, David Chiu, Jane Kim and Eric Mar, along with state Senator Leland Yee, were at the encampment in Justin Herman Plaza.
Eric Mar October 30, 2011.
Photo by Bruce Akizuki - Chinese Progressive Association teach in and solidarity action in support of Occupy SF and the Occupy movement sweeping the US. 150 CPA members, families and allies marched from Portsmouth Square to cheers from the Justin Herman Plaza occupy encampment! — at Occupy San Francisco.
Oct. 12 Wells Fargo HQ Protest
- "We need a bailout for our communities. Let's talk about Third Street, Mission Street, the Fillmore. That bailout is going to come because we are fighting back to make it happen!"
Unifying against Police Raid
An article by William West and Richard Becker published in Liberation (newspaper of the Party for Socialism and Liberation) described the demonstrator's resistance to a police raid during the last week of October:
- "As word of the potential raid spread throughout the city, over a thousand people, including William West and other members of the Party for Socialism and Liberation, surrounded Justin Herman Plaza to protect the camp from the police. By 10 p.m. entire families were demonstrating in solidarity with the Occupy movement and demanding that the cops not attack the encampment. The ANSWER Coalition (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism), of which the PSL is a member, provided port-a-potties for the demonstrators.
- The leaders of several local labor unions, such as the San Francisco Labor Council, UNITE HERE Local 2, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, Office and Professional Employees International Union, and United Educators of San Francisco joined in the action. Militant chants could be heard from the multi-national crowd, including, “This system has got to die! Viva, viva, Occupy!”
- People's World: Occupy Oaklanders vigil for injured vet, Oct. 28, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 21, 2011)
- People's World: Protest shuts down Wells Fargo, Oct. 14, 2011 (accessed on Oct. 26, 2011)
- Liberation: Victories in Bay Area Occupy movements, Nov. 1, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 12, 2011)