DSOC founding convention
The Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee founding convention Socialism'73 took place in New York City, October 12 and 13, 1973, at the Loeb Student Center, NY University and at the McAlpin Hotel. Speakers included;
- David Lewis, leader, New Democratic Party of Canada, "US economic imperialism".
- Michael Harrington
- Workshops on the unions, feminism, racial equality, Democratic Party, equality and Detente with David Selden, Rose Laub Coser, Doug Ireland, Michael Walzer, Bogdan Denitch, Christopher Lasch
- Panel on "socialism and the welfare state" with Irving Howe, Erazim Kohak, Norman Birnbaum.
In 1990 Norman Birnbaum was named as a member of Democratic Socialists of America, in Democratic Left, Jan./Feb. 1990, page 13.
Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
Socialist Prospects and the End of the Cold War
- Sponsor: Democratic Socialists of America
- Bogdan Denitch, Author, Socialist Debates
- Norman Birnbaum, Georgetown University
- Luciana Castellina, Italian PCI
- Lucy Komisar, Author, Journalist
Institute for Policy Studies
Norman Birnbaum was a memberof the Institute for Policy Studies 20th Anniversary Committee, which organized an April 5, 1983, reception at the National Building Museum, Washington DC attended by approximately 1,000 IPS staffers and former staff.
Campaign for America's Future
In 2009, the Editorial board of The Nation included Norman Birnbaum, Deepak Bhargava, Barbara Ehrenreich, Richard Falk, Frances FitzGerald, Eric Foner, Philip Green, Lani Guinier, Tom Hayden, Tony Kushner, Elinor Langer, Deborah Meier, Toni Morrison, Walter Mosley, Victor Navasky, Pedro Antonio Noguera, Richard Parker, Michael Pertschuk, Elizabeth Pochoda, Marcus Raskin, Kristina Rizga, Andrea Batista Schlesinger, David Weir and Roger Wilkins.