New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice
New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice is closely connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
The organization was founded shortly after Hurricane Katrina, in the context of a humanitarian crisis. Against the backdrop of a political economy that pitted communities of color against each other, a group of Black and immigrant workers came together from public housing developments, FEMA trailer parks, day labor corners, and labor camps across Louisiana to build a new freedom movement: multi-racial; committed to racial, gender, and immigrant justice; and dedicated to telling a new story about possibility in the Southern region as a whole.
Ten years later, the New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice is a hybrid, multi-disciplinary impact strategy center and “think and do tank,” as well as a membership organization. We are dedicated to expanding democracy, winning a just economy, and transforming the country by transforming the South. The Workers’ Center is now a critical architect of permanent progressive civil society infrastructure in the Southern region. At the end of our first decade, we are gearing up to advance a long-term Southern agenda for an inclusive economy.
New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice board, as of November 2017;
New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice Team, as of November 2017;
- Sima Atri -Staff Attorney / Equal Justice Works Fellow Sponsored by the Norflet Progress Fund
- Anza Becnel - Organizer, STAND with Dignity
- Stephen Boykewich - Communications Consultant
- Daniel Castellanos - Research Associate
- Lisa Cooks - Director of Administration
- Jocob Horwitz - Lead Organizer, National Guestworker Alliance
- LaToya Johnson - Administrative Coordinator
- LaToya Lewis - Organizer, STAND with Dignity
- Alfred Marshall - Organizer, STAND with Dignity
- Anne Recinos - Equal Justice Works Emerson Legal Fellow
- Brad Rothrock - Digital Campaigns Manager
- Chloe Sigal - Paralegal
- Jeff Pinzino - Development Director
- Rachel Taber - Immigration Organizer
- Kati Sipp - Managing Director NGA
- Saket Soni - Executive Director
- Audrey Stewart - Interim Managing Director
- Mary Yanik - Staff Attorney / Liman Legal Fellow