CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Nelson Valdez, Vice President Local 1199, New York, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Latino/Caribbean A powerful and growing political force: The Latino/Caribbean people's struggle for equality and justice. What are the new perspectives in the Chicano/Mexicano, Puerto Rican and Caribbean communities?
- Linda Coronado, Director, Volunteer Services, Cook County Hospital, Chicago
- William Gerena-Rochet, National Congress for Puerto Rican Rights, NY
- Edith Moise, Asst. Principal, Bilingual School, NY
- Joe Navarro, Chicano community activist, Denver
- Nelson Valdez, Vice Pres., Local 1199, NY
- Marshall Garcia, Exec. VP, Local 1199, NY
2006 Committees of Correspondence conference
Nelson Valdez, Vice President of Local 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East in New York City, addressed the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism 5th National Convention and Symposium July 20 - 23 2006 in Chicago Panel 3: Strategies for Winning at the Polls in 2006 and 2008
Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
In 2008 Nelson Valdez, Vice President of SEIU Local 1199, New York signed a statement circulated by the Partisan Defense Committee calling for the release of convicted “cop-killer” Mumia Abu-Jamal.
SEIU Local 1199
- CCDS Background
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- Signers of Campaign to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Now