Michele Oberholtzer is a Michigan activist.
Please join us for our next meeting! This Saturday, July 7th, 10 am to noon, at the Royal Oak Community/Senior Center (3500 Marais)
We will also be voting on whether or not to endorse two candidates running in the August primary: Michele Oberholtzer (state house district #4) and Joel Battermann (Wayne County Commission district #2). Both candidates are DSA members. . From Metro Detroit Democratic Socialists of America newsletter July 2018.
Electoral Committee Updates
- The next meeting of the Electoral Committee will be TOMORROW, July 16 at 7.00 pm, to discuss how the primary activity is going and start organizing for the general election. ALL MEMBERS WELCOME, email Gillian at firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting location info.
- For the first time ever we have endorsed FOUR candidates running in Democratic primaries who are Chapter members! They are:
- Rashida Tlaib, running for Congress, 13th District
- Mike McDermott, running for State Rep, District 16
- Michele Oberholtzer, running for State Rep, District 4
- Joel Battermann, running for Wayne County Commission, District 2
- In addition, we have jointly endorsed Andy Levin and Ellen Cogen Lipton in the 9th Congressional District, finding both equally deserving of support. Members are encouraged to support either candidate and the Chapter will support whichever of the two candidates wins the primary election.
- There is less than a month until the primary on Tuesday, August 8 and much work to do to help our DSA candidates succeed.
According to Dick Olson the "2018 midterm elections were incredibly momentous for DSA nationally, as well as here in the Detroit area. We scored critical wins from coast to coast — getting leftists elected to office and pushing through key ballot measures".
DSA-endorsed Andy Levin, a close ally of the Michigan labor movement, easily won his race in the 9th Congressional district. DSA member Beau Perry won a write-in campaign for Ferndale Library Board. Three other Detroit DSA members who received our Chapter’s endorsement also ran for office but fell short: Michele Oberholtzer and Mike McDermott for state rep, and Joel Batterman for Wayne County commissioner. Detroit DSA members also knocked on hundreds of doors for Padma Kuppa, Democrat for the 41st Michigan house seat in the Troy. With DSA’s help, Kuppa flipped a Republican seat 22,317 to 21,170.