- For other uses, see Michael Schwartz (disambiguation)
Democratic Socialists of America
Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Awards Reception
On June 13, 2002 Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its 25th Annual Debs–Thomas–Bernstein Awards to "leaders who fight for democracy, here at home and around the world". State Representatives Pat Jehlen and Anne Paulsen, Co-Chairs of the Progressive Legislators Group received the award. Ellen Feingold, the earliest known recipient (1979) spoke on the history of the organization. David Knuttunen and Susan Davidoff were benefactors of the reception. Michael Schwartz and Jeff Knudsen were patrons of the reception.
On June 30, 2009, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to Professor, author, and health care reformer Rashi Fein, along with the winners of a union election at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, accepted by Sonia Marshall, the key organizer of the campaign. Sheila Decter of the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action presented the award to Rashi Fein. The event was held at the home of Marcia Peters and David Karaus. Mike Fadel of SEIU Local 1199 (formerly Boston DSA staff person) and the AFSCME-affiliated New England Organizing Project were benefactors of the event.
Michael Schwartz and Jeff Knudsen were supporters of the event.
How Class Works
At the How Class Works - 2002 Conference, panels included; 2.2 Pedagogy of Class
“ Global Inequalities and Pedagogical Challenges”
“ The Transformative Impact of Class Talk for College Students”
- Timothy Moran, Chair, Stony Brook
4.2 The Capitalist Class
- Leslie Gates, SUNY at Binghamton – Sociology
“ Reintegrating Class Analysis into Globalization: The Formation of Mexico’s Internationalist Elite and the Fate of Mexican Unions”
- Paul J. Groncki, Financial Planner, NYC
“ Demographics of the Capitalist Class”
“ Davos and More: A Global Ruling Class (in formation)”
- Michael Schwartz, Chair, Stony Brook – Sociology
Open letter to Andy Stern
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Michael Schwartz, Stony Brook State University, Stony Brook, NY signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.