He is the brother of Robert Meeropol.
Miichael and Robert Meeropol's parents, both ardent Communist Party USA members were tried and then executed in June 1953, for passing on atomic bomb secrets to the Soviet Union.
The orphaned Rosenberg boys were then adopted by a New York school teacher and covert communist, named Abe Meeropol.
In March 1979, the New York radical magazine the Guardian issued an emergency appeal to funds in an effort to save the publication.
Over fifty supporters endorsed the appeal including Michael Meeropol
Rosenberg Fund for Children
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Michael Meeropol, Chair, Department of Economics, Western New England College, Springfield, MA signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
MDS and URPE
Call to pressure Obama
Michael Meeropol wrote an article "Obama and the Left : Shout Loud and Clear" for The Rag Blog, December 4 2008, calling for a "peoples movement" to move the Obama administration further to the left.
- All the stories about Obama's economic team and his economic instincts mean is that we on the left have to shout loud and clear to make the policies move in our direction.
- That's what the socialists and communists did during the Depression and though the New Deal "saved" capitalism -- it also made it a lot more "worker" and "people" friendly ...
- It wasn't revolution, but that didn't stop the socialists and communists of the 1930s from fighting for the right to organize unions, for anti-lynching legislation, for the minimum wage law, etc. etc. -- and it didn't stop the Civil Rights Movements of the 1930s, 40s, and 50s from demanding the most minimal rights already guaranteed under the capitalist constitution.
- I think to a large extent, we ought to stop discussing whether Obama is being "good" or "bad" and focus on the POLICIES we want his administration (and Congress) to follow.
- Whether he stays in the DLC-Clintonian mode or adopts policies that significantly move away from the right-wing economic concensus depends on U.S. and the progressive wing of the Democratic Party.
- Joe Hill said, "Don't mourn for me, organize." We should say, "Don't mourn Obama's leanings -- organize to push him the other way..."
The Rag Blog
- Guardian March 2 1979
- Rosenberg Fund for Children Letterhead June 19 2003
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran