- 1 Presidential campaign staff
- 2 Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
- 3 Supported by Council for a Livable World
- 4 ARA endorsement
- 5 China visit
- 6 Obama for America, National Co-Chair
- 7 Honduras letter
- 8 Radical interns
- 9 NIAC connection
- 10 Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2015
- 11 Cuba visit
- 12 Committees
- 13 External links
- 14 References
Bennet served as the Superintendent of the Denver Public Schools before running for the U.S. Senate. He has also been Chief of Staff to Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, Managing Director at the Anschutz Investment Company, and Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General at the Department of Justice during the Clinton Administration.
Michael earned his bachelor’s degree with honors from Wesleyan University and his law degree from Yale Law School, where he was Editor-in-Chief of The Yale Law Journal.
Presidential campaign staff
- Daniel Barash Senior advisor Regional political director for expansion districts at the DCCC
- Craig Hughes Senior advisor Partner, Hilltop Public Solutions
- Jessica Boad National finance director Western regional candidate fundraising director, DCCC
- Jill Straus Senior advisor for finance Founder at Straus/Baker
- Tracy Sturman Senior advisor for finance Consultant at Golden State Strategies
- Shannon Beckham Communications advisor Communications advisor, office of Sen. Michael Bennet
Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council is supporting Michael Bennet in his 2010 election campaign.
The Council wrote of Bennet;
- Born in 1964 in New Delhi, India, Bennet earned his bachelor’s degree fromWesleyan University and his law degree from Yale Law School, where he was Editor-in-Chief of The Yale Law Journal. He practiced law, worked in the Clinton Justice Department, managed an investment company, served as Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper’s chief of staff, and then accepted the challenge of improving Denver’s failing school system.
- For many years, Bennet has had a strong commitment to national security issues. He supports President Obama’s efforts to negotiate a new treaty with Russia for reciprocal deep cuts in nuclear arsenals as well as ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. He supports the President’s goal of securing and retrieving nuclear weapons-usable materials worldwide and the Kissinger-Schultz-Nunn-Perry vision of moving toward a world free of nuclear weapons.
- He also supports the Obama plan for ending the war in Iraq and opposes deployment of missile defense at this time. Because Colorado has endured the toxic legacy of its Rocky Mountain arsenal, which once built deadly nerve gas weapons, he understands the dire consequences of some of our country’s weapons policies.
The Alliance for Retired Americans endorsed Michael Bennet in 2010.
A bipartisan delegation of 10 United States Senators returned home late April following a week’s worth of meetings with high-level Chinese government officials, business leaders, U.S. Foreign Service officers and Peace Corps volunteers.
The historic delegation, led by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, represented more than a third of the U.S. population and included some of the most senior members of the Senate. The delegation included Assistant Majority Leader Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Michael Bennet (D-Colo.).
Some of the Chinese officials the Senators met with include:
- Xi Jinping, China’s Vice President, who is widely expected to succeed Hu Jintao next year as China’s next President
- Wang Qishan, Vice Premier
- Yang Jiechi, Foreign Minister
- Wu Bangguo, Chairman of the National People’s Congress, China’s legislature.
- Lu Yongxiang, Vice Chairman of the National People’s Congress
- Zhou Xiaochuan, President of the People’s Bank of China
- Donald Tsang, Chief Executive of Hong Kong
- Florinda Chan, Acting Chief Executive and Secretary for Administration and Justice of Macau
- Ge Honglin, Mayor of Chengdu, a city with a population of 14 million that is a leader in China’s renewable energy industry.
Obama for America, National Co-Chair
February 22, 2012, Obama for America, announced the selection of the campaign’s National Co-Chairs, a diverse group of leaders from around the country committed to re-electing President Obama. The co-chairs will serve as ambassadors for the President, advise the campaign on key issues, and help engage and mobilize voters in all 50 states.
Senator Michael Bennet – U.S. Senator from Colorado, was on the list.
On Thursday, May 23, 2013, U.S. Senator Cardin (D-MD) circulated a Senate sign-on "Dear Colleague" letter to Secretary of State John Kerry addressing deepening concerns about Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Honduras.
The letter states that violence and impunity for state security forces in Honduras has reached intolerable levels and cites concerns related to extrajudicial killings, linkages to death squads, and increasing militarization of civilian law enforcement. The letter also raises the concern that State Department certifications intended to ensure that U.S. foreign aid supports the rule of law in Honduras may contradict the reality on the ground.
The letter asks State Department to:
- provide Congress with a detailed assessment of the efficacy of current Honduran government efforts to address this issue as mandated by FY12 Appropriations language;
- conduct a detailed review of specific State Department actions to help ensure that no U.S. funds are being used to support police implicated in human rights violations; and
- make every reasonable effort to help ensure that Honduras' upcoming November 2013 elections are free, fair and peaceful.
In addition to Cardin, the letter was cosigned by Senators Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Barbara Mikulski (D-MD), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Tom Harkin (D-IA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Jack Reed (D-RI), Mark Udall (D-CO), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Robert P. Casey, Jr. (D-PA), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Michael F. Bennet (D-CO), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Chris Coons (D-DE), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Al Franken (D-MN) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH).
National Iranian American Council February 28, 2017:
NIAC Action's Colorado team just met with Senator Michael Bennet's staff to thank him for supporting the #IranDeal, and for cosponsoring legislation to repeal and defund the #MuslimBan!
We need more members of Congress defending our community like Senator Bennet - it's easy to get involved with a local team, and we need more citizens like YOU to speak up!
National Iranian American Council April 4, 2017:
Senator Michael Bennet requested a follow-up meeting with NIAC Action's Colorado team and Denver University students to hear how the #MuslimBan is impacting them, and why #S722 risks peace with #Iran.
Developing personal relationships with Congressional offices is what we do. We provide you with all the tools you need to have an effective meeting with your lawmakers - join a NIAC Action team today: niacaction.org/join
Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2015
By May 20, it had accumulated 33 co-sponsors, including 26 Democrats - Sheldon Whitehouse, Tom Udall, Dick Durbin, Thomas Carper, Amy Klobuchar, Barbara Boxer, Jack Reed, Debbie Stabenow, Jeff Merkley, Chris Murphy, Benjamin Cardin, Chris Coons, Dianne Feinstein, Jeanne Shaheen, Sherrod Brown, Mazie Hirono, Brian Schatz, Tammy Baldwin, Ed Markey, Heidi Heitkamp, Jon Tester, Claire McCaskill, Ron Wyden, Tim Kaine, Al Franken, Elizabeth Warren, Michael Bennet, Martin Heinrich . 
A delegation of four senators and one representative of the United States Congress traveled to Cuba on Sunday, exactly a month after the arrival of a new president to the White House. One of the senators is a strong ally of President Trump.
Republican Thad Cochran, from Mississippi, who has decisively endorsed Trump’s initial decisions in the Senate, is among the delegation. The legislators are led by one of the main proponents of normalized relations with Cuba, Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy (Vermont), notes the Cuban-US Economic and Trade Council.
Except for Cochran and Bennet, the remaining legislators have visited the island on previous occasions.
The program for their visit to Cuba was not disclosed. The group is scheduled to leave the island on Wednesday, February 22nd 2017.
Cochran, the only Republican in the group, is a co-sponsor in the Senate of a bill providing for the Expansion of Agricultural Exports to Cuba. The legislation would eliminate the prohibition of granting private credit to finance agricultural sales to the island and thus seek greater access by US farmers to the Cuban market.
Cochran chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee and has voted in favor of all those nominated by the president to his cabinet.
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs
- Financial Institutions subcommittee
- Security and International Trade and Finance subcommittee
- Securities, Insurance and Investment
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Subcommittee on Rural Revitalization, Conservation, Forestry and Credit subcommittee
- Subcommittee on Hunger, Nutrition and Family Farms subcommittee
- Subcommittee on Energy, Science and Technology subcommittee
- Senate Special Committee on Aging
- [http://www.nytimes.com/ New York Timesarticle, October 26, 1997]
- About Bennet
- Letters of Support for CAIR accessed January 26 2020
- CLW website: Meet Our Candidates
- CLW website, accessed July, 2013
- Harry Reid website, Bipartisan US Senate Delegation Returns from China April 26, 2011 | Press Releases
- Judy Chu for Congress, , February 22, 2012, OBAMA FOR AMERICA ANNOUNCES REP. JUDY CHU AS. NATIONAL CAMPAIGN CO-CHAIR
- SOAWatch, Ask your Senator to sign onto the Cardin Letter about Honduras
- Cardin Press release, Cardin Leads Senate Call For Accountability In Honduras For Human Rights Violations Tuesday, June 18, 2013
- Aaqil Anwar, accessed January 22, 2018
- [ http://peoplesworld.org/cuba-travel-bill-advances-in-the-senate/PW, Cuba travel bill advances in the Senate by: Emile Schepers May 20 2015]
- [%22S+299%22}, Congress.Gov. S.299 - Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act of 2015114th Congress (2015-2016) | G]
- Havana Times, Trump Ally Joins Congressional Delegation to Cuba February 20, 2017 By Café Fuerte