Communist youth conference
After the Conference of Socialist Youth in March 1964, it was decided to hold the next convention in Chicago, and there form a new national youth organization. The Coordinating Committee determined to switch the meeting place to San Francisco, however, and to hold it on June 19 through 21, 1964. The New organization was named the W.E.B. DuBois Clubs of America and would serve as the youth wing of the Communist Party USA.
East Bay Democratic Socialist Alliance
In the fall of 1981 the activists of New American Movement and Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee in the East Bay (primarily in the cities of Oakland and Berkeley) decided to join forces as the East Bay Democratic Socialist Alliance.
Prominent members of the new alliance included Sandra Chelnov (New American Movement) Liv Brown (New American Movement), Matthew Hallinan (Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee), John Katz (New American Movement), Charleen Raines (Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee), and Alan Snitow (Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee-New American Movement).
DSA Conference delegate
In November 1985, East Bay DSA delegates to the Democratic Socialists of America National Convention included, Suzanna Tadlock, Eileen Luna, Sandy Chelnov, Fran Biderman, Dean Ferguson, Dave Buchanan, Liv Brown, Matthew Hallinan, Alan Snitow, Ray Ahearn, John Katz, Dale Harrington, Angie Fa, Nancy Skinner.
Democratic Socialists of America
Middle East trip
In October 1989, Democratic Socialists of America members Matthew Hallinan (East Bay local), Guy Molyneux and Robert Meitus (Youth Section, executive committee member), made a week long trip to Israel and the occupied West Bank.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Socialist U.S. Toward a Socialist United States? Reshaping the vision and charting a path. Is it possible? On what basis?
- Dr. Keith Baird, DSA
- Barry Cohen, CoC Implementation Committee, NY
- Matthew Hallinan, DSA, No CA
- David McReynolds, national co-chair, Socialist Party USA, NY
- Denise Young, Rochester CoC, NY
- Anne Mitchell, organizer, Writer's Union, NY
- University of California website: The New National Organization of Communist Youth
- NAM Discussion bulletin No 35, Spring 1981, page 26
- DSA Conference delegate list Oct. 12 1983 update
- Possible California Local Reps. for August 5, 1989 Palo Alto Meeting
- Democratic left, Jan./Feb., 1990, page 11
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)