Mary Compton lives in Hamden, Connecticut. She is co-chair of the Greater New Haven Peace Council, a local chapter of the US Peace Council. She attended her first candlelight vigil in opposition to the Iraq War in November 2004 and became interested in the causes of the war and the role of US imperialist policies and began attending Peace Council meetings. Since then, she has participated in local vigils against the non-stop wars. From 2005-2008, she collaborated with NO NUKES NO WAR on local actions for nuclear abolition and has co-coordinated the silent vigils in New Haven for Commemorations for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan for several years. This year on the 70th Commemoration of August 6, Hiroshima Day, she organized a poetry and candlelight vigil for Hiroshima to bring awareness to the community on the abolition of nuclear weapons. With a dedicated core of Peace Council members she has created children and youth activities with a focus on peace activism for the annual Peabody Museum’s Martin Luther King EcoJustice Fair in New Haven.
Greater New Haven Peace Council
Alfred L. Marder 90th Birthday Celebration
Hon. Rosa DeLauro, Sen. Toni Harp, Sen. Martin Looney, Rep. Juan Candelaria, Rep. Patricia Dillon, Rep. Toni Edmonds Walker, Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield, Rep. Roland Lemar, Ald. Jorge Perez, President, New Haven Board of Aldermen, Ambassador Sylvester Rowe, Mohammed Barrie, Vinie Burrows, Mary Compton, Joelle Fishman, Craig Gauthier, Emanuel Gomez, Hilda Kilpatrick, Henry Lowendorf, Kenneth Marder, Rev. Scott Marks, William Morico, John Olsen, Quentin Snediker, Jarvis Tyner, Andrea van den Heever, Susan Yolen
A statement issued on the committee's behalf read;
- Dear Friends and Family of Al Marder,
- We are excited to invite you to celebrate the 90th birthday of Al Marder and to recognize his many contributions, international and local, toward world peace, justice and equality.
- Please join us in this joyous occasion on Sunday, March 18, at 3:00 pm at the New Haven Peoples Center, 37 Howe Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511.
Nuclear Weapons Abolition and Economic and Energy Conversion Act
-  Progressive Action Roundtable: providing a forum for progressive groups in the Greater New Haven Area, accessed July 19, 2010
- New haven People's center blog, Tuesday, March 6, 2012, Alfred L. Marder 90th Birthday Celebration