In 2014 he was a candidate for Governor of Michigan.
Early Life & Career
Graduated from Howell High School, Howell, Mich., 1980; B.A., Albion College, Albion, Mich., 1984; M.P.A., Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Mich., 1986; M.A., Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich., 1996.
County planner; member, Battle Creek (Mich.) city commission, 1994-1997; member, Michigan state house of representatives, 1997-2003; member, Michigan state senate, 2003-2008; majority floor leader, Michigan state senate, 2003-2006; minority leader, Michigan state senate, 2007-2008; elected as a Democrat to the One Hundred Eleventh Congress (January 3, 2009-January 3, 2011); unsuccessful candidate for reelection to the One Hundred Twelfth Congress in 2010.
Schauer received $6000 in lobbying funds from Planned Parenthood in 2008.
Democratic Party Super Delegates
In February 2008 Michigan Democratic Party Super Delegates were;[
- John D. Cherry, Lt. Governor
- Rep. John D. Dingell, U.S. Congressman, 15th District
- Joel Ferguson, at-large member of the DNC, businessman, member of MSU Board of Trustees
- Dale Kildee, U.S. Congressman, 5th District
- Sander Levin, U.S. Congressman, 12th District
- Mark Schauer, State Senator, 19th District
- Debbie Stabenow, U.S. Senator
- John Conyers, U.S. Congressman, 14th District
- Arthenia Abbott, Vice Chair, Michigan Democratic Party
- Lu Battaglieri, President of Michigan Education Association, union representing retired teachers and education employees
- Mark Brewer, Chair, Michigan Democratic Party, Vice Chair, Democratic National Committee
- Elizabeth Bunn, UAW Secretary-Treasurer
- Eric Coleman, County Commissioner of Oakland County, 23rd District
- Debbie Dingell, WSU Board of Governors, senior executive at General Motors
- Robert Ficano, Wayne County Executive
- Jennifer Granholm, Governor
- Kwame Kilpatrick, Mayor, City of Detroit
- Carolyn Kilpatrick, U.S. Congresswoman, 13th District
- Joyce Lalonde, Board of Directors, National Education Association
- Carl Levin, U.S. Senator
- Jeffrey Radjewski, business and finance manager of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- Virgie Rollins, regional director, National Federation of Democratic Women, Chair, Democratic National Committee Black Caucus
- Richard Shoemaker, UAW Vice President
- Bart Stupak, U.S. Congressman, 1st District
- Michael Tardiff, DNC
- Richard N. Wiener, attorney and former Granholm staffer
- Lauren Wolfe, President of the College Democrats of America, she is attending law school in Detroit.
Rebuffed DSA support
- Having been rebuffed in our offers of assistance to progressive Congressional candidates Gary Peters (9th district) and Mark Schauer (7th district)—both of whom were afraid of being red-baited--Detroit DSA focused instead on local and state races.
Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America chair David Green says that the candidates themselves were happy to have Detroit DSA’s involvement, but that “handlers” from the Democratic National Committee refused the support, for fear that the candidates would be red-baited or branded as socialists. 
21st Century Democrats support
21st Century Democrats is a Political Action Committee that has stood for Progressive causes for over 20 years. Founded in 1986 by Institute for Policy Studies affiliate, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, Democratic Socialists of America affiliates, former Texas Agriculture Secretary Jim Hightower, and former Illinois Congressman Lane Evans. Its three main goals are to help elect progressive candidates, train young people about grassroots organizing, and lastly, to continue to support our elected officials after Election Day "through our comprehensive progressive network".
The mission of 21st Century Democrats is to build a "farm team" of progressive populists who will be the future leaders of the Democratic Party.
- In each election cycle, we endorse a diverse array of candidates who exemplify our values and show unusual promise to advance our progressive goals. We invest in some of the most competitive races as well as in some of the most challenging – those in which the candidates are outstanding but the traditional Democratic supporters are most reticent. We back candidates in primaries as well as general election races, and we focus the bulk of our resources on electing challengers and protecting vulnerable incumbents.
He was also supported during his 2000 State house race,
Co-Sponsored SB 1306
As at July 7, 2008, Mark Schauer was a co-sponsor of State Senator Hansen Clarke's Senate Bill 1306, "which would stop all mortgage foreclosures and evictions for two years." The bill is being supported by the Workers World Party-front, Moratorium NOW!.
To the 500 students attending the "Michigan Moving Forward" rally at the University of Michigan's Rackham Auditorium, September 2010, Representative John Dingell put the question directly. "Republicans talk about taking the country back and I want to ask, back to what? Bush? Hoover? 1900? Louis XIII?"
With the audience cheering loudly Dingell answered, "This country is going to keep moving forward whether the Republicans like it or not."
The main purpose of the Wednesday night rally, featuring former Vermont Governor Howard Dean, was to highlight the critical importance of re-electing Michigan's two first term Democrats, 9th District Congressman Gary C. Peters and 7th District Congressman Mark Schauer.
Schauer was pitted against the "far-right former incumbent" of the district, Tim Walberg. To "hisses, boos, and looks of disbelief, Schauer said the former congressman was the only member of the Educational Committee to vote against Head Start. He also voted against Pell grants".
Walberg wants to do away with Social Security and has said, "It's not worth the paper it's printed on." Those scare tactics were not going anywhere with this young crowd.
"Our forefathers felt we have an obligation to one another," Schauer continued. "The Republican Party believes it's every person for themselves. Elections matter. I'm asking you to fight for it."
After the rally Garrett Arwa, Michigan State Field Director of Organizing for America said, "We know these races are going to be close. Those students in the room, every single one that votes, every one that knocks on the door, gets their friends to vote, literally could make the difference."
As at Feb. 1, 2011, Senator Mark Schauer, Battle Creek was listed as an endorser and ongoing supporter of MichUHCAN's Health Care Security Campaign Coalition. The Michigan Universal Health Care Access Network is a state-wide network that promotes comprehensive health care for all and improved health outcomes by addressing the social determinants of health through education, strategy development and advocacy. The leadership of MichUHCAN is heavily dominated by members of Democratic Socialists of America.
Jobs with Justice
ARA endorsement, 2014
Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America held its first in a series of proposed fundraising house parties for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer on November 13, 2013 at the home of Chris Talwar and Gillian Talwar. The party raised over $5000 from 48 donors.
- Mark Schauer shares DSA’s values. He has made raising the state minimum wage the centerpiece of his campaign. He is the son of a teacher who supports restoring funding for public education as well as restoring collective bargaining rights for teachers. He believes in universal health care. In fact, his courageous vote in favor of the Affordable Care Act in 2010 was probably responsible for his losing his Congressional seat in 2012.
Detroit DSA proposed to organize a series of fundraising house parties for Schauer in 2013-2014 in Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, and Washtenaw Counties.
The following have worked as staff members for Mark Schauer:
- April Bennett
- Anne Brady
- Frances Brennan
- Kenneth Brock III
- Valeria Carranza
- Tara Clark
- Mary Cronin
- Kiona Daniels
- Lisa Dedden-Cooper
- Michael Edwin
- Carol Ditta Ertel
- Samuel Harper
- Katherine Hayes
- Cameron McKenney
- Lisa Metcalf
- Sara Metz
- John Mulcrone
- Brad Neidhardt
- Adam Pase
- Zachary Pohl
- Jill Slaght
- Amanda Gayle Therrian
- Mark Toaz
- Tess Troha-Thompson
- Brian Tucci
- Edward Visco
- Kevin Warnke
- Renell Weathers
- Jill Weide
- Joy Whitt
- Legistorm: Mark Schauer: Bio (accessed on Jan. 17, 2010)
- http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg04301.html [Marxism-Thaxis] Democratic meltdown looming]
- DDDSA Newsletter, jan. 2009
- In These Times, December 25, 2009 Mobilized in Motor City How Detroit DSA works in the Democratic Party to effect change. By Seth A. Maxon
- 21st Century Democrats website, About us]
- 21st Century Democrats 2008 bio
- Moratorium NOW!: Endorsers of Senate Bill 1306 (accessed on Feb. 9, 2011)
- http://www.peoplesworld.org/university-of-michigan-students-pledge-to-save-their-country/ Peoples World, University of Michigan students pledge to save their country by: John Rummel September 10 2010]
- MichUHCAN: MI Health Care Security Campaign Coalition (accessed on Feb. 1, 2011)
- MichUHCAN: About Us (accessed on Feb. 1, 2011)
- JWJ About Us, accessed Dec. 13, 2013
- Greater Detroit DSA newsletter, march 2014DSA Fundraiser for mark Schauer a success
- Legistorm: Mark Schauer (accessed on Jan. 17, 2011)