Leonardo Reyes is an illegal immigration activist working with the Oregon DACA Coalition.
2018 State of the Union Address
Several DACA recipients, including Leonardo Reyes, were invited to President Trump's 2018 State of the Union Address:
- Kamala Harris brought Denea Joseph, communications coordinator for the UndocuBlack Network.
- Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden brought Daysi Bedolla.
- Florida Rep. Carlos Curbelo brought Adrian Escarate.
- Illinois Rep. Bill Foster brought Ana Campa Castillo.
- Virginia Rep. Gerry Connolly brought Nicolle Uria.
- Oregon Rep. Earl Blumenauer boycotted the event, but sent Aldo Solano.
- Oregon Rep. Jeff Merkley brought Leonardo Reyes.
- Oregon Rep. Suzanne Bonamici brought Miriam Vargas Corona.
- Oregon Rep. Kurt Schrader brought Juan Carlos Navarro.
- New York Rep. Nita Lowey brought Hugo Alexander Acosta Mazariego.
- Kentucky Rep. John Yarmuth brought Leo Salinas Chacon.
- California Rep. Judy Chu brought Jung Bin Cho.
- New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker brought Elizabeth Vilchis
DACA recipients and illegal immigration advocates include: Karen Bahena (DACA recipient), Jessica Chilin-Hernandez (Salvadoran TPS holder), Cindy Garcia (wife of deported Jorge Garcia), Aldo Solano (Dreamer), Viviana Andazola Marquez (father was detained by ICE), Hugo Alexander Acosta Mazariego (Dreamer), Nicolle Uria (Dreamer), Leonardo Reyes, (Dreamer), Jung Bin Cho (Dreamer), Nery Martinez (TPS holder), Leo Salinas Chacon (Dreamer), Antonio Valdovinos (Dreamer who was denied entry to the U.S. Marine Corps), Diego de la Vega (Dreamer and congressional intern), Edenilson Granados (TPS holder), Denea Joseph (UndocuBlack Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipient), Adrian Escarate (Dreamer), Ana Campa Castillo (Dreamer), Amy Gottlieb (wife of detained immigration activist Ravi Ragbir), Elizabeth Vilchis (DACA recipient), Itayu Torres (DACA recipient), Christian Castaneda (DACA recipient), Melody Klingenfuss (DACA recipient), Leticia Herrera-Mendez (DACA recipient), Leslie Martinez (DACA recipient), Anarely Marquez (DACA recipient), Cesar Montelongo (DACA recipient), Gabriela Hernandez (DACA recipient), Esder Chong (DACA recipient), Dalia Medina (DACA recipient), Ivonne Orozco-Acosta (DACA recipient), Nelson Melgar (DACA recipient), America Moreno Jimenez (DACA recipient), Bennet Omalu (immigrant from Nigeria, who discovered Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy), Brandon Judd (president of the National Border Patrol Council), Jean Bradley Derenoncourt (Brockton City Council member, immigrant from Haiti, who recently became a U.S. citizen).
"Oregon DACA Coalition: Creating a Social Movement"
Leonardo Reyes spoke with Tony Marin at the 2017 MENTE Summit., a "day-long gathering that brings practitioners and student leaders together to address many of the inequities and barriers facing Latino males. Participants will connect with community leaders to reflect and build momentum to encourage more Latinos to complete a Higher Education."
- "Oregon DACA Coalition (ODC) is made up of volunteer advocates for undocumented communities. Some are DACA recipients who are working or going to school and others are DACA allies who volunteer in solidarity. Two main objectives of ODC include 1) advocate and inform the community about the DACA program and issues around undocumented communities, and 2) engage and empower community members to support DACA and undocumented immigrants. The Purple DACA Letters campaign is the result of the second objective. The campaign consists of sending letters of support to elected officials in purple envelopes. Purple represents hope for the preservation of DACA and hope for an immigration reform that can keep immigrant families united. Everyone is welcome to write a letter in support and those letters will be delivered to elected officials at local, state, and federal levels of government. Supporters can write their letters by hand or they can be typed and sent to email@example.com. Oregon DACA Coalition volunteers also put together workshops and presents at other events. ODC current goal is to collect a 1000 letters in 2017. This workshop will look at the history of Oregon DACA Coalition and how participants can get involved."
- [http://people.com/politics/democrats-dreamers-guests-trump-state-of-the-union-address/ These Democrats Are Bringing 'Dreamers' to President Trump's State of the Union Address, Accessed January 30 2018
- [https://www.harris.senate.gov/news/press-releases/senator-harris-to-bring-california-undocublack-daca-recipient-to-state-of-the-union Senator Harris to Bring California UndocuBlack DACA Recipient to State of the Union, Accessed January 30 2018
- [https://twitter.com/SenBooker/status/958047061554933765, Accessed January 30 2018
- [http://fortune.com/2018/01/30/guests-attending-trumps-state-union-address/ Here Are the Notable Guests Attending Donald Trump's State of the Union Address, Accessed January 30 2018
- [https://www.mentesummit.com/session-1, Accessed January 30 2018