Leonard C. Yanielli is professor emeritus, Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury, Connecticut. He was the 2009 National Association Of Biology Teachers Evolution Educator of the Year. He is a Marxist and is closely associated with the Communist Party USA.
Len Yannielli was fired from the Thomaston Public School system in 1972. Yannielli claims the main reason he was fired was due to his opposition to the Vietnam War.
In 2008 Len Yannielli was active in the Obama campaign in Waterbury Connecticut;
- Hello, There is a mobilization in the Brooklyn section of Waterbury, Sat., 9/20/08, 11 AM, corner of Bank and Porter street. Obama campaign and Chris Murphy supporters are teaming up. You can help tabling and /or going door-to-door with other volunteers. Give an hour or two. We have to talk to people and register them to vote.
The National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) recognized Leonard C. Yannielli, professor of biological sciences at Naugatuck Valley Community College (NVCC) in Waterbury, Connecticut, with the 2009 Evolution Education Award during the NABT annual professional development conference held 11-14 November 2009 in Denver, Colorado.
The Evolution Education Award is cosponsored by the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) and Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS). The award is presented in recognition of innovative classroom teaching and community education efforts to promote the accurate understanding of biological evolution. Professor Yannielli received a plaque, a $1,000 cash prize, and a set of resources provided by AIBS and BSCS to support the teaching of evolution.
"AIBS, BSCS and NABT are doing important work with this award as it says loud and clear that evolution education is important," said Yannielli. "I'm humbled to be recognized by peers and feel I'm sharing the honor with many educators who have toiled courageously under very difficult situations."
For over 41 years, Yannielli has been teaching biology courses that have placed emphasis on evolution and evolutionary origins. His microbiology courses, for example, highlight the evolutionary interplay between microbes, humans, and disease, thereby encouraging students to shed egocentric approaches to thinking about evolution.
"Evolution is the central organizing principle of the biological sciences. Teaching with it is like having a built-in GPS system for navigating life patterns and processes, from what happened to the dinosaurs to the immune response to a microbial invasion," stated Yannielli.
- One consequence of this restrictive theoretical framework was that the Left as a whole paid little attention to the environment
and environmental struggles and movements. After all, Lenin’s dictum that without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement still applies. A spin-off would read that with a restrictive revolutionary theory there would be a restricted revolutionary movement. A Marxist ecological theory that kept pace with the rising environmental struggles of the 1960s would have been a boon to revolutionary movements everywhere. But it did not happen.
In 2014 Len Yannielli contributed "Convention Discussion: Nature Before Profits - Some History, Some Theory" from the Environmental Working Group of the Communist Party USA.
- The Communist Party USA sees part of its roots in the multiracial Abolitionist movement.
- Our materialist outlook enables us to see processes as organic wholes. Racism and it promulgation are a negative material force in history and currently. The movements against racism and for diversity are a positive material force.
CPUSA Environmental Action
CPUSA Environmental Action is a Facebook closed group. It is "a meeting place for members and friends of the Communist Party USA to discuss environmental issues (especially climate change), share information, and coordinate activities".
As of June 21, 2017 members included Len Yannielli;
Supporting Jahana Hayes
Leonard C. Yannielli November 1 2018·
- Dear MoveOn, Last week MoveOn members made a qualitative difference in the Waterbury office of Jahana Hayes for Congress. Now comes the real test. Tuesday, November 6th, is Election Day!, We need an All-Out Call/Text to all members in Connecticut. I was born and raised in Waterbury. I well know the difficultes running for elected office in the Naugatuck Valley. The large shops and many unions are gone. People are trying to piece their lives together by working in the service industries and can’t well support a family that way. With desperation also comes confusion. They have been preyed on by corrupt politicians who convince them to vote against their interests.
- Jahana Hayes is a breath of fresh air. The opposite of the millionaire clubs in Congress, she is a working teacher. In fact she is working while running for Congress! She has a chance to be the first African American woman to go to Congress from Ct. She is fighting for green jobs, extending medicare to all and for real gun control. It will only happen if we, MoveOn, get behind this campaign in a big way. This work involves phone calling from the office. We will be identifying people who need a ride to the polls. We have plenty of drivers already so this work is simply calling from the office to ID who needs a ride Go to the Jahana Hayes Office, 11 AM, Tuesday , Nov. 6th at 142 Bank Street, Waterbury, Ct. Let’s keep Ct blue and be apart of this historic victory!!!
- Peoples world, about, accessed August 15, 2011