Laura Whitehorn is a New York City activist.
Whitehorn served nearly 15 years in prison for militant actions against U.S. policies during the 1980s. For many years before that, she was active in a variety of radical organizations, including the Weather Underground Organization and the John Brown Anti-Klan Committee. Released from prison in 1999, she lives in New York City with her partner, Susie Day. Whitehorn is an editor at POZ magazine, a national source of information and news about HIV, and works with other activists in the New York State Taskforce for the Release of Political Prisoners.
Hard Times Conference
Freedom Road Socialist Organization's Forward Motion, Spring 1996 issue, include a poem from Laura Whitehorn Dublin California "Fourteen Days loss of privileges", and another 1988 poem from Marilyn Buck, from the same place..
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Laura Whitehorn signed the statement.
Critical Resistance event
Friday, May, 20, 2011 Riverside Church, South Hall Admission: $50-$250. (includes admission to main event -"The World We Want is the World We Need". Riverside Church, Nave 490 Riverside Drive. Admission: $20-$30
Host Committee: Rashidah Ismaili AbuBakr, Malaika Adero, Seth Adler, Shana Agid, Sam Anderson, Kai Barrow, Andrea Bible, Jean Carey Bond, Dorothy Burnham, Melanie Bush, Rod Bush, Angela Cali, Susie Day, Jesse Ehrensaft-Hawley, Joan Gibbs, Elspeth Gilmore, Farah Jasmine Griffin, Lennox Hinds, Esther Cooper Jackson, Peter Marcuse, Jerry Meyer, Charlene Mitchell, Mary Morgan, Mary Lou Patterson, Beth E. Richie, Shreya Shah, Alvin Starks, Farrah Tanis, Laura Whitehorn.
"A New Vision for Black Freedom"
4/29/12 Resistance & State Repression Plenary in the South Hall at The Riverside Church, New York City, NY
A New Vision for Black Freedom: The Manning Marable Memorial Conference-Reinvigorating Social Theory-Redefining Political Struggle
- Joseph Hayden, Activist, Scholar , Founder of allthingsharlem.com
- Farah Tanis, Activist, Scholar Executive Director, Ex Officio, Black Women's Blueprint
- Kevin Powell - activist, writer, public speaker, and entrepreneur and, in 2008 and 2010, was a Democratic candidate for Congress in Brooklyn, New York.
- Laura Whitehorn, scholar, activist, formerly incarcerated political prisoner for 16 years charged w/ Conspiracy; destruction of government property; fraud ; member of the Weathermen/The Weather Underground Organization in 1969
- Marc Lamont Hill- Moderator activist/organizer Associate Professor of Education, Teachers College-Columbia University
David Gilbert Forum
Brecht Forum held a book launching March 19, 2012 for David Gilbert's - "Love and Struggle: My Life in SDS, the Weather Underground, and Beyond" with Lumumba Bandele, Dan Berger, Terry Bisson, Kenyon Farrow, Matt Meyer, Dequi Sadiki, Meg Starr, Challenging Male Supremacy Group & Laura Whitehorn. Moderated by Kazembe Balagun.
- At a moment of growing resistance to state violence and injustice the world over, a delegation of nineteen anti-prison, labor and scholar-activists from the United States traveled to Palestine in March 2016. Our delegation included former US-held political prisoners and social prisoners, former Black Panther Party members, prison abolitionists, trade unionists and university professors. We are the first US delegation to Palestine to focus specifically on political imprisonment and solidarity between Palestinian and US prisoners. Our delegation also focused on recent labor struggles in Palestine for bread and dignity, and on the struggles of Palestinian intellectuals to assert the rightful claims of Indigenous Palestinians to their land, culture and history.
- Rabab Abdulhadi, author and professor, San Francisco State University*, California
- Diana Block, author and activist, California Coalition for Women Prisoners*, San Francisco, California
- Susan Chen, counselor faculty, member California Faculty Association - SFSU chapter Affirmative Action Rep, San Francisco State University*, California
- Dennis Childs, author and professor, University of California*, San Diego
- Susie Day, writer, Monthly Review Press*, New York City, New York
- Emory Douglas, Revolutionary Artist and Minister of Culture, Black Panther Party, 1967-1982
- Johanna Fernandez, author and professor, City University of New York-Baruch College*; Organizer, Campaign to Bring Mumia Home
- Diane Fujino, author and professor, University of California*, Santa Barbara
- Alborz Ghandehari, member of BDS Caucus of UAW 2865, University of California Student-Workers Union*
- Anna Henry, activist and member, California Coalition for Women Prisoners*, San Francisco
- Rachel Herzing, independent scholar and co-founder, Critical Resistance*, Oakland, California
- Hank Jones, activist, former US-Held political prisoner and member, Black Panther Party, Los Angeles, California
- Manuel la Fontaine, former US-held prisoner and member, All of Us or None*, San Francisco, California
- Claude Marks, Former US-held political prisoner, Freedom Archives*, San Francisco, California
- Nathaniel Moore, archivist, Freedom Archives*, San Francisco, California
- Isaac Ontiveros, member, Critical Resistance*, Oakland, California
- Michael Ritter, counselor faculty; member CSU Academic Senate & CFA Board of Directors, San Francisco State University*, California
- Jaime Veve, Co-Convener, Labor for Palestine*, New York City, New York
- Laura Whitehorn, Former US-held political prisoner, New York City, New York
- [http://collectiveliberation.org/our-work-2/the-anne-braden-anti-racist-organizing-training-program/the-2013-anne-braden-anti-racist-organizing-training-program/session-9-developing-anti-capitalist-feminist-analysis-readings/Catalyst project, 2013 Anne Braden Anti-Racist Training Program Session 9: Developing Anti-Capitalist Feminist Analysis\
- Outlaws in Amerika, West Goals 1982, Pg33-35
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- Liberal Education website: Bill Ayers supporters
- Google groups Cardozo NLG › This Friday-Angela Davis|Ruth Gilmore|Vijay Prashad|Laura Flanders Amy Cross
- Youtube, 4/29/12 Resistance & State Repression Plenary- Manning Marable Memorial Conference Published on Apr 1, 2013
- Youtube David Gilbert - Love and Struggle: My Life in SDS, the Weather Underground, and Beyond Published on Mar 27, 2012
- Truthout We Stand With Palestine in the Spirit of "Sumud": The US Prisoner, Labor and Academic Solidarity Delegation to Palestine Sunday, 17 April 2016 00:00