Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America
Brake Light Clinic
January 29 2022.
Today Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America held a FREE BRAKE LIGHT CLINIC! 💡🚗
By repairing brake lights, we will minimize police interactions in our community! Join us for our next clinic!
Clark County Democratic Party Chair Judith Whitmer defeated Clark County Commissioner Tick Segerblom on March 6 2021 to assume control of the Nevada State Democratic Party, ushering a dramatic shakeup of the state party’s power structure by its most liberal wing.
Three other progressives running alongside Whitmer captured four of the other officer positions during the election, which was held during a virtual meeting of the state party’s central committee. Whitmer received 248 votes to Segerblom’s 216 for the chair position.
Jacob Allen (first vice-chair), Dr. Zaffar Iqbal (second vice-chair) and Ahmad Ade (secretary) were also elected on Whitmer’s “progressive” slate. Lance Arberry (treasurer) was the lone winner for Segerblom’s “progressive unity” slate, defeating Howard Beckerman by just two votes.
On review Beckerman was awarded the victory after it was found non-members had voted.
While Segerblom enjoyed support from prominent local, state and federal elected officials, Whitmer has spent years organizing and encouraging young progressives to serve on the very state central committee that elected her.
Nevada Dems/Progressive Slate
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America March 6 2021.
Today, the Nevada State Democratic Party holds their officer elections. We've endorsed the Progressive Slate because we believe they're committed to change that reflects working people in Nevada.
- Judith Whitmer is a true comrade. She is the former Las Vegas DSA Electoral co-chair, co-founder of Left Caucus, and a incredible organizer who has helped keep the Bernie 2020 coalition together after the caucus. She has longterm vision and understands the power of collective action.
- Jacob Allen is a Latino comrade from Washoe who served as Bernie's 2020 Northern NV political associate and played a crucial role in securing county-wide victories for the Senator in both 2016 and 2020.
- Dr. Zaffar Iqbal is a physician who operates a small rural clinic. He served as a Bernie 2020 NV Co-Chair, founded both Muslims for Bernie and the Muslim Democratic Club, and has been instrumental in helping to diversify our county and statewide Party.
- Ahmad Ade is a proud Black muslim and a lifelong political and community organizer, going all the way back to his days organizing with Fred Hampton and the Black Panthers. Today he's focused on fighting for our unhoused community in the Historic West Side.
- Howard Beckerman is a Carson City based comrade who has been fighting alongside in the trenches to make our state Party more transparent and responsive to rank and file members. He's committed to investing our resources in every county across the state.
We urge all members of the SCC to vote for the Progressive Slate today. We will face difficult battles in 2022 and NV Dems needs leadership that understands how to mobilize and engage all Nevadans, all year round, not just at election time.
And no matter who wins today, the next chair of NV Dems will be a DSA member and we will continue to push the party to truly represent working people.
2020 Executive Board
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America 2020 Executive Board.
- Kara Hall Co-chair
- Shaun Navarro Co-chair
- Ashley Morris Secretary
- Lourdes Esparza Treasurer
- Tiffany Stoik Communications
- Jesse Farr Munson Education
- Alice B. Chair
- Jesse Farr Munson Chair
Medicare For All Committee
- James Patterson Chair
Mutual Aid Committee
- James Baker Chair
Palestine Solidarity Subcommittee
- Ziad Doumani Chair
Racial Justice Committee
Socialist Feminist Committee
- Jaylynn Farr Munson Chair
Mutual Aid Network
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America Mutual Aid Network Private Facebook group.
Moderators April 2020.
July 2017 Interim Executive
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America, July 2017, interim executive.
- Chair- Jennie Yim
- Vice-chair - Chenay Arberry
- Secretary - Cassandra Munoz
- Treasurer - Kyle Christensen
- Communications - Chloe Bender
- Education - Samantha Burtch
Keenan Korth, was in 2017, contact for Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America Organizing Committee.
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America May 30 at 11:45am.
The Las Vegas DSA Executive Committee supports candidate Robert Langford for Clark Country District Attorney based on his following campaign commitments:
1. Langford has made it a top priority to end cash bail. We believe that cash bail is ineffective in a transformative justice system and exists to solely to penalize poverty. 2. Langford is committed to vacating marijuana-related convictions. We believe that the criminalization of marijuana led to excessive arrests and incarceration within communities of color. For those who were convicted before the legalization of marijuana to continue to serve out sentences is untenable.
Throughout the country, we are seeing witnessing a fight back against the criminalization of poverty, the disproportionate incarceration of communities of color and we hope to join in this fight
Further 2018 endorsements
Las Vegas DSA announces endorsements for June 12th election.
Clark County School Board Endorsements
There are three Clark County School Board Seats up for election this year – depending on your address, you may or may not see a candidate on your ballot.
DSA Supports the following progressive candidates. All three of them are supportive of teachers, unions, and public education – best of all, they are familiar with the challenges public education is facing in Nevada.
If you see a School Board Candidate on your ballot, these three candidates support our agenda!
Clark County Judicial Endorsements
Nevada Supreme Court – Judge Elissa Cadish is one of the most progressive judges in Las Vegas and would be a strong progressive voice for the NSC.
The same is true of Melissa De la Garza (LV Township judge dept. 15).
LV DSA Comrades
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America March 16 2019:
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America September 10, 2017;
"Family portrait" LVDSA
LV DSA Closed Facebook Group
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America Discussion Group. Closed Facebook Group. Accessed June 15, 2018.
- This is the discussion group for the local chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America.
Admins and Moderators
- Jessica Gandy, Associate at Alverson, Taylor, Mortenson & Sanders
- Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America, founded group on May 26 2018.
- Dylan Small, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Brandon Douglas Nutton, Henderson, Nevada
- Roland Quiros
- Briceida Castro, Las Vegas, Nevada
- James Taylor
- Jay Coleman, Labor at Crew on Fire
- Nelson Lucero, Communications Specialist at Culinary Workers Union Local 226
- Bethany Ann Khan, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Jake Galardi Marko, Volunteer at The Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada
- Adam Turl, Art critic at West End Word
- Chenay Arberry, University of Nevada, Reno
- Leslie Ann Turner, Los Angeles, California
- Travis Wayne Sanderson, Middlebury College
- Eddie Gomez, UNLV
- Vanessa Brown, Works at Community Organizer
- Ozzy Hayes, University of Nevada, Reno
- Michael Martin Shea, Managing Editor at Best American Experimental Writing
- Andrew Lin, College of Southern Nevada
- Crystal Owens, College of Southern Nevada
- Robin Brown, University of Evansville
- Bryan Dodson, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Vasil Cvetkovski, Graduate Teaching Assistant at UNLV
- Julian Munoz
- Joe Sedlak
- Naomi Lewis, North Las Vegas, Nevada
- Dan Cho
- Jakob Centlivre, Chemist at Clark County Water Reclamation District
- Jess Drapic
- Shaun Navarro
- Tia Sanders-Rice
- Rory Kuykendall, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Richard Vogel, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Art Xav
- Terry West, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Alethea Nelson, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Erick Daniel Ochoa Zavala, UNLV
- Seth Morrison, Works at Retired
- Jennie Spaghettini
LV DSA First Annual General Meeting!
LV DSA First Annual General Meeting! Hosted by Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America.
Wednesday, May 31 at 7 PM - 9 PM
401 S Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
- Las Vegas DSA will be holding its inaugural General Meeting. Meet your Interim Exectuive Committee and learn about all the great community work we have been doing the past few months.
- We will also be holding our annual Local Executive Committee Elections and electing delegates for the DSA National Convention this summer (August 3-6) in Chicago! All dues- paying members will get a vote.
Invited on Facebook
- Alexis Tingey
- Jason Nelson
- Tyler Simmons
- Shannon Smith
- Tyler Tingey
- Evan Lipman
- Natalie Timpson Tingey
- Dylan Self
- Spencer Tingey
- Michael Weiss
- Crystal Owens
- James Nickerson
- Teresa A. Frene
- Jose Rivera
- Tegan Stover
- Jayson Dagher
- Maria Palacios
- Rory Kuykendall
- Bryan Delaluna
- Chris Giddens
- Monica Ramirez
- Kyle Chamberlain
- Jose Elias
- Gary Brewer
- Julia Hermann
- David Putnam
- Susanna Gabbiano
- Judith Whitmer
- Emilia Marquez
- Pedro Pedroi
- Lona Maney Harris
- Jon Savage
- Megan Marie Ortiz
- Melodie Phoenix
- Megan Trivette
- Christopher Sanders
- Spencer Norman
- TJ McNeely
- Sue Woolf
- Tera Lynn Childs
- Jerry Yu Wang
- Laura Barrera
- Kevin DeSilva
- Hermon Farahi
- Rob Ponte
- Penny Walker
- Lorelei Lynn
- Matt Kennedy
- Melissa Yael Jacobowitz
- Gabrielle Amato-Bailey
- Jill A. Warmke
- Gina Mizzoni
- Bethany Ann Khan
- Tania Libertad
- Alethea Nelson
- Alicia Briançon
- Allen Jordan
- Roland Quiros
- Tista Stemp
- Seraphina Jade Thompson
- Kelly Si
- Sammy Burtch
- Chloe Bender
- Joshua Charles
- Michael Keating
- Manuel Arizala
- Andrew Cardenas
- Derek L. Washington
- Chenay Arberry
- Amy Robinson
- Emma Ann
- Jessica Rosenfeld
- Sebastian Pepperell
- Lauren Slef
- Liz Terhune
- Nicholas Lash
- Lori Avanthay
- Desirae Wingerter
- Jennie Yim
- Chris Barmonde
Hops for Democratic Socialism Mixer
The Bunkhouse Saloon, March 15, 2017; Organized by : Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America
- Join us downtown at the Bunkhouse Saloon for Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America's first socialism mixer. Meet like-minded locals for a night of comradery and revelry, and stick around afterwards for live music:
Those indicating their attendance on Wherevent included Demi Falcon, Chloe Bender, Sergey Fedossov, Caitlyn Caruso, Andrew Cardenas, Jennifer Durnell, Alexander Forsberg, Jake Galardi Marko, Chenay Arberry, Anna Lim, Seraphina Thompson, Cesar Valdez, Chris Topher, Gina Lebsack, Morgan Helleberg, Kane Sisomphou, Nicholas Tavcar, Greg Clark, Nathan Gonzalez, Allison Barfield, Karin Quindo Miller, Felicia Squassoni, Clementine Ramona Flowers-Hepburn.
Peoples Summit report back
Hermon Farahi, June 29 2017;
Hosting the LV #PPLSummit Activist Review, in collaboration with the Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America, Draft Bernie Nevada for a People's Party & Nevada for Healthcare-Now! — with Keenan Korth, Amy Vilela, Tista Stemp Kristofer DiPaolo and Manuel Arizala.
Free Brake lights
Members of the Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America were changing brake lights, along with the Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada and the Faith Organizing Alliance, in a free event in an effort to prevent interaction with and harassment from police, organizers said. They changed brake lights and headlights on over 20 vehicles Jan. 6 2018, at the First African American Methodist Episcopal Church on Revere Street.
“The clinic was envisioned as a community response to police shootings that happened as the result of traffic stops in 2016 and earlier,” said interim DSA chair Jennie Yim, referring to the stories of Walter Scott, Philandro Castile and others. “It’s not conceived as charity; it’s conceived as a means of rallying support and solidarity and as a proactive means for the community getting together and staving off harassment and violence.”
DSA has over 100 chapters and over 30,000 members nationwide. While members of the Las Vegas chapter may have been a part of the national group for years, the chapter (also the first in Nevada) was established in April.
If a person has a warrant, Yim said, that can lead to their arrest. A warrant is an order that directs law enforcement to arrest a subject and bring them before a judge. Warrants can be issued for a variety of reasons, including failure to appear in court, unpaid traffic tickets or if an individual is a suspect in a case.
One volunteer, Briceida Castro, said she was pulled over by an officer in September for a burnt-out brake light. She had only been pulled over once before — for speeding — she said, and this experience left her shaken.
“I’ve been politically involved, but as far as brake lights, I don’t think I really thought about it,” she said.
In the light of recent police shootings, Castro said, because she’s Hispanic, “(Getting pulled over) was scary, and it made me more conscious of it.”
Eileen Eady, president of progressive political nonprofit Together We Will Nevada and a candidate for the Clark County School Board’s District F seat, said her group has partnered with DSA for previous events, including protests against efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act at Sen. Dean Heller’s office.
The group focuses on civic engagement, lobbying for progressive initiatives and fundraising and supporting candidates.