Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kristen Gonzalez is a socialist running for New York State Senate, District 17.
DSA Fundraising Support
New York Post Profile
- "The first declared candidate for one of New York’s proposed new state Senate districts is a socialist from Queens with a decidedly capitalist job.
- "Kristen Gonzalez is a product manager for American Express — but the 26-year-old scrubbed any trace of that work from her online presence, deleting her LinkedIn and locking her Facebook account.
- "And her campaign website and Twitter account make no mention of her employment with the financial giant, which reaped $9.8 billion in interest and $4.6 billion in credit-card fees in 2020, according to securities filings.
- "Gonzalez filed for political candidacy, with the office undeclared, on Dec. 21, 2021. She announced her bid for Senate District 17 on Wednesday, a day after the state’s Legislative Task Force on Demographic Research and Reapportionment published its partisan recommendations. The new district includes parts of Woodside, Ridgewood, Maspeth, Greenpoint and Long Island City.
- "Gonzalez grew up in Elmhurst and, after her father died, attended the elite Dalton School on scholarship, according to her campaign site and social media. She matriculated at Columbia University, where she majored in political science and ethnicity and race studies, ran the College Democrats, and attended an “information session” hosted by a Goldman Sachs managing director for students interested in finance.
- "Her political and civic activities since graduating have consisted of involvement with the Democratic Socialists of America and being appointed to Queens Community Board 4 — though rarely showing up, according to board meeting minutes.
- "Nowadays, she lives high above the proletariat in a 58-story luxury building in Long Island City, where rents range from $2,700 to $6,397, according to StreetEasy. Building amenities include an indoor pool, movie theater, and sauna and steam rooms.
- "Kristen grew up watching her mother struggle to keep a roof over their heads and put food on the table,” her campaign said in a statement. “She made a decision early in life to put herself in a position to provide for her family at the first opportunity, and that’s exactly what she did. She’s a working-class kid from Queens who made it — and she makes no apologies for it. She also recognizes that while she was able to work hard and find success with the support of her family, hard work isn’t always enough. The deck is stacked against the working class.”
'Support 13 Socialists Running For Office'
- "Support 13 Socialists Running For Office"
- "DSA For The Many is back and we're bigger than ever before - way bigger."
- "In 2020, you helped send Jabari, Julia, Phara, Marcela, and Zohran to Albany to fight for working-class New Yorkers. This year, our state slate has grown to include fellow incumbent comrade Emily Gallagher, five newly endorsed challengers - David Alexis, Samy Nemir Olivares, Illapa Sairitupac, Kristen Gonzalez, and Keron Alleyne - plus Mid-Hudson Valley DSA-endorsed Sarahana Shrestha and Lower Hudson Valley-endorsed Vanessa Agudelo. All 13 (!) of our candidates need your help to win reelection and continue our fight."
- "DSA For The Many was able to send five proud socialists to Albany without a cent of real estate or corporate money. We raised thousands of dollars because people like you believed a better future was possible."
- "Currently, DSA for the Many is supporting:"
- Vanessa Agudelo (Assembly, District 95)
- David Alexis (State Senate, District 21)
- Keron Alleyne (Assembly, District 60)
- Jabari Brisport (State Senate, District 25)
- Emily Gallagher (Assembly, District 50)
- Kristen Gonzalez (State Senate, District 17)
- Zohran Mamdani (Assembly, District 36)
- Samy Nemir Olivares (Assembly, District 54)
- Julia Salazar (State Senate, District 18)
- Illapa Sairitupac (Assembly, District 65)
- Sarahana Shrestha (Assembly, District 103)
- Phara Souffrant Forrest (Assembly, District 57)
- Marcela Mitaynes (Assembly, District 51)
- "In 2022, our slate needs to be ready to fight off a real challenge from the Democratic Establishment. We need to be prepared to run and support ten campaigns to defend our movement and keep socialism strong in New York."
- "That’s why we still need your help: because every donation helps to power a socialist future. One that won’t exist without the support of folks like you."
- "We can win, but only together."
- Support DSA's Socialist Slate! (accessed July 16, 2022)
- Socialist state Senate candidate Kristen Gonzalez works for American Express (accessed on June 12, 2022)
- Support 13 Socialists Running For Office (accessed on June 12, 2022)