Kathleen (Kathy) Gilberd is a legal worker in San Diego, California, working in the areas of military administrative law and discharge review. She works extensively with the San Diego Military Counseling Project and serves on the board of directors of the national GI Rights Network. She is the author (with Marjorie Cohn) of Rules of Disengagement: the Politics and Honor of Military Dissent. She was also the contributing author in Clark Boardman Callahan’s Sexual Orientation and the Law. 
has worked as a military counselor for over 30 years, assisting conscientious objectors, soldiers fighting sexual harassment and racial discrimination, GI whistleblowers, soldiers and sailors accused under “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policies, and veterans unfairly denied benefits after “bad paper discharges.” Her writing and cases have made her a nationally recognized expert in military administrative law.
Ms. Gilberd is co-chair of the National Lawyers Guild’s Military Law Task Force and a frequent contributor to its legal publication, On Watch. She is co-author of Fighting Back, which was for many years the only legal manual on military policy on homosexuality, and a contributing author for the respected legal manual, Sexual Orientation and the Law. She serves on the national advisory committee of the GI Rights Network and has been involved in both national and local work in the National Lawyers Guild since 1977. She received a degree in sociology from the University of California, Berkeley.
San Diego Hearing on Economic Insecurity
On Saturday, August 10 1996, over 300 people attended the San Diego Hearing on Economic Insecurity, "a forum intended to hammer home to a message to our elected officials that working America is hurting and to demand that government take corrective action."
The Hearing, involved groups such as the Gray Panthers, the ultra radical National Lawyers Guild, Welfare Warriors and labor unions, but was initiated as a project of San Diego Democratic Socialists of America.
Bradley Manning Support Network Advisory Board
- Medea Benjamin, Code Pink: Women for Peace
- Dr. Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, board member for the National Whistleblower Center
- Daniel Ellsberg, Pentagon Papers whistleblower
- Kathleen Gilberd, Co-Chair of the Military Law Task Force of the National Lawyers Guild
- Mike Gravel, former United States Senator (D-AK)
- Kimber Heinz, War Resisters League
- Birgitta Jónsdóttir, Member of the Icelandic Parliament
- Ray McGovern, former CIA analyst and activist
- Michael Moore, documentary filmmaker, author and activist
- Jose Vasquez, Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Ann Wright, US Army Colonel (retired)
- Military Law Task Force website, accessed July 4, 2013
- KG website bio, accessed July 4, 2013
- Democratic Left, September/October 1996]
- Bradley Manning Support Network, accessed January 4, 2012