Chicago Committee in Solidarity with Southern Africa
In 1989 the Chicago Committee in Solidarity with Southern Africa, Board of Directors consisted of;
Timuel Black, Basil Clunie (co-chair), Earl Durham, Tommie Fry, Judy Hatcher, Tena Johnson, Toni Moore, Cheryl Johnson-Odim, Alice Palmer, Orlando Redekopp, Rachel Rubin (co-chair), Robert Starks, Lucille Teichert, Kevin Thompson, Tim Wright.
Black Radical Congress
Van Jones was a panelist at the Black Radical Congress conference held in Chicago, June 19-21, 1998, University of Illinois at Chicago, in the workshop "Sustaining Community Groups and Institutions". The BRC was/is a marxist/Black Power melange of the old Communist Party USA, SNCC, Republic of New Africa and related groups of the 1960s and 70s, with the newer generations of the "Reparations" Movement, the Democratic Socialists of America , and marxists from the Black Power political movements of the 1970s thru 1990s.
Meeting on Community Organizing
A "Meeting on Community Organizing, Civic Participation & Racial Justice" - organized by the Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity December 2011, Washington, DC.
- Jackie Byers, Black Organizing Project, Center for Third World Organizing
- Rick Cohen, PRE Consultant
- Kennia Coronado, Voces de la Frontera Student Leader
- Sarita Gupta, Jobs with Justice
- Ponsella Hardaway, MOSES
- Marqueece Harris-Dawson, Community Coalition
- Judy Hatcher, PRE Consultant
- Richard Healey, Grassroots Policy Project
- Derrick Johnson, One Voice and Mississippi NAACP
- Jon Liss, Virginia New Majority
- Pam McMichael, Highlander Research and Education Center
- Christine Neumann-Ortiz, Voces de la Frontera
- Denise Perry, BOLD: Black Organizing for Leadership and Dignity, Center for Third World Organizing
- Maggie Potapchuk, PRE Consultant
- John A. Powell, Kirwan Institute (*at time of meeting, now Haas Diversity Research Center at the Univ. of California, Berkeley)
- Rashad Robinson, Colorofchange.org
- Saket Soni, New Orleans Workers’ Center for Racial Justice and National Guestworker Alliance
- Ada Williams Prince, OneAmerica
- Lori Villarosa, Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity
- Bob Wing, PushBack Network (via phone)
- "The Black Scholar", Fall/Winter 1998, Vol. 28, No. 3/4, p. 45.
- Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity