Jone Johnson Lewis
More than 1,200 people attended the Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee initiated Democratic Agenda Conference held November 16-18, 1979, at the International Inn and Metropolitan AM Church in Washington 1 DC. The conference focused on "corporate power'; as the key barrier to "economic and political democracy," concepts many Democratic Agenda participants defined as "socialism.'
The Democratic Agenda meetings attempted to develop anti-corporate alternatives" through influencing the direction of the Democratic Party during the period leading to the July 1980 Democratic National Convention in New York.
Constituency meetings included How to Raise Feminist Issues in 1980: Jone Johnson, DSOC Feminism Commission, chair; Mildred Jeffrey past chair, National Women' s Political Caucus; Nancy Shier, executive director, Chicago NOW.[
Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee
In 1982 the Chicago local of Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee was led by;
- Mike Kelly, Chair
- Bob Roman, Sec.
- Carl Shier, Treas.
- Jone Johnson, Delegate
- Laurie Michalowski, Delegate
- Lou Pardo, Delegate
- Jim Steiker, Delegate
DSA Feminist Commission
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Jone Johnson.
- Information Digest, December 14, 1979, page 372
- 10th Anniversary Booklet for the New American Movement, 1981
- DSA Feminist Commission Directory, 1985
- 1986 DSA Feminist Commission Directory