"National Day Of Protest Against The Bakke Decision"
The "National Day Of Protest Against The Bakke Decision" was held Saturday October 8, 1977" with rallies in Oakland, St. Louis, and Washington D.C.. Oakland speakers were Maria Abadesco, National Committee to Overturn the Bakke Decision (MC); John George, Alameda County Supervisor MC); Harry Edwards, U.C. Berkeley Sociology Professor; Hazaiah Williams, President, Center for Urban/Black Studies Graduate Theological Union, Josie Camacho, Lee Brightman, Rep. Ed Ed Roybal, Lorenzo Carlyle, Aileen Hernandez, Gilberto Mendoza.
Organised by the October 8th Coalition.
The People's Convention
On July 14-16 (probably 1984) The Coalition for a People's Convention "a broad grouping in the Bay Area", organized The People's Convention in order to "unite on and present a people's program to the DNC and to network the many local efforts to win people's power from around the country. Its purpose is to enhance local efforts and amplify them into a united voice and demonstration for reorienting our society away from military aggression and towards meeting the needs of all our people".
Endorsers from the San Francisco-Bay Area included John George Chairman, Alameda County Board of Supervisors.
SURVIVAL FEST 84 was held August 5 1984 in MacArthur Park.
"Come To Hear And Strategize With Those Changing The 1980's"
- How can we support each other in electing progressive local candidates?
- How can we make electoral work serve the grassroots movements for a freeze, for U.S. out of Central America and human needs?
- How can we over turn the racist dual primary system in the South?
- Is working inside and outside the Democratic Party a viable strategy and how can it be done?
- How can we formulate demands to revitalize our basic industries without falling into the pitfall of the chauvinist anti-import solution -- letting U.S. finance capital off the hook?
This event was organized by the Communist Workers Party front, the Coalition for a People's Convention. The event was advertised in a half-page notice in the Marxist weekly Guardian, their Book Supplement - Summer 1984, p. 12, and the Communist Workers Party and Federation For Progress were listed as participants.
Speakers included John George Chair, Alameda County Board of Supervisors.
South Africa benefit
On January 17 1986, a benefit concert was held at Oakland's Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center, for the National Emergency Fund of the South African Council of Churches.
- Master of Ceremonies:Honorable Willie Brown
- Keynote Speaker: Bishop Desmond Tutu
- Guest Speaker: Amadou- Mahtar M'Bow Diredor General of UNESCO
Dinner Committee Members included Hon. Alan Cranston, Hon. Leo McCarthy, Hon. Barbara Boxer, Hon. Sala Burton, Hon. Ron Dellums (a DSA member), Hon. Don Edwards, Hon. Tom Lantos Hon. George Miller, Jr. Hon. Norman Mineta, Hon. Pete Stark, Hon. Willie Brown, plus Democratic Socialists of America members Julian Bond, Nancy Skinner, Harry Britt, John Henning, Adam Hochschild, Frances Moore Lappe, Stanley Sheinbaum, Communist Party USA affiliates Wilson Riles, Jr., Maudelle Shirek, Al Lannon, and Irving Sarnoff, and radical socialists Julianne Malveaux, Drummond Pike, John George, Peter Yarrow and actor/activist Sidney Poitier.
1987 Rainbow conference/Board
CoC connected staffer
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Electoral What should be the place of electoral activity on the left's agenda? What would be an effective strategy for this year, the 90s and beyond?
- Yolanda Alaniz, candidate for Seattle City Council
- Bill Collins, a founder of Citizens for Proportional Representation, Cincinnati, Ohio
- James Vann, national co-chair, National Committee for Independent Political Action, Oakland
- Victoria Missick, teacher & multi-cultural movement, NY
- Dr. Margie Akin, Peace and Freedom candidate, 40th CD, Riverside, CA
- Keith Carson, Legal Aide to Rep. Ron Dellums, Oakland
- Arthur Kinoy, National co-chair, NCIPA, Montclair, NJ
- Sam Perez, Puerto Rican political activist, NY
- Mark Allen, legislative aide, John George, Alameda County Supervisor
- The People's Convention introductory pamphlet
- EBONY & IVORY invite you to attend a dinner benefit for theNational Emergency Fund of the South African Council of Churches
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)