John Brown Childs
John Brown Childs is Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Childs is a popular teacher and expert on contemporary urban issues whose research on social action and populist social movements is enriched by his volunteer participation in community groups. He has been involved for many years in the urban youth antiviolence movement in the U.S. He is a member of the board of directors of Barrios Unidos/United Neighborhoods, a Santa Cruz-based national organization that is dedicated to creating peaceful alternatives to gang and youth violence. Childs also works with Stop the Violence in Los Angeles and the Institute for Violence Reduction in Hartford, Connecticut.
In 1998, in recognition of his academic achievement and his community work, John Brown Childs received the prestigious Fulbright Thomas Jefferson Chair award. He spent a portion of the 1997-98 academic year at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands where, as a visiting scholar, he was an “academic ambassador” to universities and community organizations in the Netherlands, lecturing about issues of urban community and the state of race and ethnic relations in the United States. Childs is also the is author of several books, including: Transcommunality: From the Politics of Conversion to the Ethics of Respect; Leadership, Conflict, and Cooperation in Afro-American Social Thought; The political Black minister: A study in Afro-American politics and religion; and Hurricane Katrina: Response and Responsibilities(editor).
- Barbara Byrd, Board Treasurer and Chairperson of Compensation Committee, Portland, OR.
- Dr. Elaine Bernard, Board Member, Cambridge, MA.
- John Brown Childs, Board Member, Santa Cruz, CA.
- Sarita Gupta, Executive Director of Jobs with Justice.
- Lisa Hoyos, Board Secretary and Secretary of Compensation Committee, San Francisco, CA.
- Jennifer Krill, Board Member, Washington DC and San Francisco, CA.
- Carla Lipsig-Mumme, Board Member, Toronto, Ontario, CA.
- Bob Massie, Board Member, Somerville MA.
- Ananda Lee Tan, Board Member, Berkeley, CA.
- Joseph B. Uehlein, Board President, [Takoma Park], MD