Farewelling a comrade
Family, friends, and comrades gathered for a memorial at a funeral home Sept. 29 and remembered her courage and fighting spirit, active until the end despite chronic back pain and failing eyesight and hearing.A neighbor in the Largo retirement community where she lived told the gathering that the management attempted to push through a rent increase. Collier, knowing the fixed income of the seniors, led a fightback.
Jesse Kern, an activist with the Central Florida Jobs Committee, said that Collier, a handsome woman with cornflower blue eyes, looked like “an elderly matron on her way to the club to play bridge.” Yet this Alabama belle was a steel magnolia and a street-smart fighter.
Protesters Jesse Kern, Jay Alexander, Anne Hirsch, Adigun Hotep, Bill Reed and Nnamdi Lumumba, all of St. Petersburg, protested outside the Hillsborough County Courthouse Annex January 2003 before the trial of the "MacDill Nine."
The nine, all cleared, except Wayne Helmbrecht, who didn't show up, over charges resulting from a protest outside an airbase were Dwight Lawton, 72, a Korean War veteran, Adam Cameron, Penny Hess, Arlen Hooley, Deidre Martin, Roger Otterson, James Peters and John Barrieau.
Omali Yeshitela, chairman of the African People's Socialist Party, who appeared at Wednesday's trial to show support for the activists, called the judge's ruling "a major victory for free speech and the right to dissent."
Defense lawyers Paul Quin and Paul Rebein, who handled the case pro bono, argued that activists had given Tampa police notice that they intended to be arrested as a show of civil disobedience and promised to go peacefully. 
Veterans for Peace
Communist Party member
- Michael Albert - activist, author of "Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism" & founder of Z-Magazine
- Lucas Benitez - Coalition of Immokalee Workers
- Debra Booth - AFL-CIO & Central Florida Labor Council
- Congresswoman Corrine Brown
- Scott Camil - Veterans for Peace
- Michael Canney - Green Party of Florida, Co-Chair
- Matt De Vlieger - Students for a Democratic Society @ UCF (M.C. of the day)
- Denise Diaz - Central Florida Jobs with Justice
- Senator Mike Gravel - Anti-war Candidate for President '08
- Clifton Hicks - Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW)
- Jesse Kern - Veterans for Peace (Korean War Veteran)and Communist Party USA supporter.
- Omar Masri - Speaker from UFPJ Steering Committee
- Peg McIntire (97yo) - Grandparents for Peace, St. Augustine
- David Rucker - Metropolitan Democratic Black Caucus & former President of the Orange County NAACP
- Bruce Wright - St. Pete for Peace
- Lydia Vickers - CodePink
Cuba and Venezuela
CPUSA of Tampa Bay
- Our Main Political Aims:
- 1. Defeat the agenda of the ultra-right.
- 2. Reforms to put people before profits, end racism, gender discrimination and homophobia, and guarantee justice, economic security and basic needs for all.
- 3. A new kind of society - Socialism USA - in which the working class and its allies have the power to end war and corporate greed, and to build a true democracy of cooperation, fairness and peace.
Members included Jesse Kern.
- Carole Collier Florida freedom fighter is mourned, Special to the Peoples World, October 24 2003
- Judge tosses protest charges, By CHRISTOPHER GOFFARD, Times Staff Writer © St. Petersburg Times ublished January 16, 2003
- Peoples World, letters, August 31, 2007
- Journal of the Working Class Struggle Google Group, 11 May 2007
- PWW, May 24,2008, page 6