Jacob Swenson-Lengyel is from Vancouver, Washington. Married to Willa Swenson-Lengyel. He is an organizer and strategist with a background in social movement communications. He has worked for People's Action and Interfaith Worker Justice and is currently a Program Manager at Narrative Initiative. He was one of the founding members of The People’s Lobby in Chicago and he served as the membership coordinator for Graduate Students United at University of Chicago.
He is now the Director of Narrative and Communications at Pennsylvania Stands Up and an editor at Organizing Upgrade. He has almost a decade of experience doing social movement communications for independent political organizations.
- Studied Philosophy at University of Chicago
- Studied Philosophy at Willamette University
- Went to Columbia River High School
Organizing Upgrade personnel
The Organizing Upgrade Editorial Collective, April 2020:
The Organizing Upgrade Editorial Collective, August 2019:
- We urge all left-progressive forces to take seriously what will be required to create a united progressive front capable of defeating Biden and going on to expand its influence even as we unite in an even broader coalition to defeat Trump. And to remember that we not only need cooperation on the electoral battlefront, but cooperation at scale in building mass direct action, revitalizing the trade union movement, and organizing large numbers on a host of urgent issues. After all, even if Sanders or Warren wins the presidency and the GOP loses control of both houses of Congress, it will take massive pressure from below to win a Green New Deal, Medicare for All, end mass incarceration, close the border concentration camps, change US foreign policy and begin the new cycle of progressive advance that is an existential imperative for the world’s most vulnerable and the entire human race.
- We have to quickly establish sufficient political unity to uphold a progressive front, so that we may develop the technical capacities and infrastructure to allow this progressive front to work together (regardless of whether they have endorsed Sanders or Warren). Though preserving space for constructive debate over left electoral strategy and tactics will be critical, we urge doing so in a way that does not detract from the important task of reaching outward, engaging the unconvinced and unorganized social forces we will need to win.
- To that end, Organizing Upgrade will be publishing a number of pieces in the coming week from left organizers of varied perspectives that discuss the WFP endorsement, the DSA’s “Bernie or Bust” resolution, and other developments related to the 2020 elections. Our goal is to continue engaging left organizers in strategic dialogue during a pivotal moment in history and we welcome you to join the conversation. The stakes could not be higher.
The Organizing Upgrade Editorial Collective.
Door-knocking for Jess King
Jacob Swenson-Lengyel November 3, 2018 ·
Politics is about communities in action. Winning is about inviting MORE people to participate in building a community that works for the many, not just the few. Lancaster Stands Up is running 7 canvasses + Jess King for Congress is running another 16—JUST THIS MORNING. Now folks are going to do another round this afternoon. Julie Chinitz and I just talked to tons of super friendly folks who are super excited about Jess King and working to create an American for all of us.