Howard Romaine is a lawyer, writer and activist. Knoxville, Tennessee Area - Attorney at Law at Howard M. Romaine, LLC.
Southern Student Organizing Committee
In the 1960s Romaine was active with the Southern Student Organizing Committee. The SSOC was a student activist group that focused particularly on civil rights and the Vietnam War. Some of the founders included Sue Thrasher and Howard Romaine.
In the late 1960s Southern Student Organizing Committee officers were;
- Chairman: Howard Romaine, University of Virginia(Charlottesv:ille, Virginia
- Vice-Chairman: Howard Spencer, Rust College Holly Springs, Mississippi
- Secretary: Herman Carter, Southern University Baton Rouge Louisiana
- Treasurer: Roy Money, Vanderbilt University Nashville, Tennessee
Institute for Southern Studies
Founding Board members
|Institute for Southern Studies Incorporating Documents in North Carolina|
The Institute for Southern Studies was incorporated in the state of North Carolina on July 28, 1989. The founding members listed on the incorporation papers:
- Julian Bond President, from Atlanta, Georgia
- Peter Bourne, from Washington, D.C.
- N. Jerold Cohen, from Atlanta, Georgia
- John Lewis, from Atlanta, Georgia
- Marcus Raskin, from Washington, D.C.
- Howard Romaine, from New Iberia, Louisiana
- Robert Sherrill, from Washington, D.C.
- Sue Thrasher Secretary, from Atlanta, Georgia
- Elizabeth Tornquist, from Durham,