Henry (Hank) Millstein is a long-time peace and labor activist. He's a fiction writer and journalist and a member of the National Writers Union. A practicing Roman Catholic and activist in several faith-based social justice organizations, he serves on the National Committee and the Religion Commission of the Communist Party USA.
- Henry Millstein is a wordsmith in English and several other languages. His accomplishments include developing a successful native language instructional program for the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs in Oregon, publication of journalism, academic articles, and fiction in a variety of outlets, the authoring of successful grant applications to a number of private and government agencies, and work in a variety of clerical and administrative positions. He has a command of German, French, Spanish, and a number of other languages. He is expert at proofreading, editing, and translation. He also has political and publicity experience.
Millstein joined the Communist Party USA in the mid/late 1970s.
He is father to Kristen Millstein and husband to Rebecca.
Henry Millstein holds a Ph.D. in Jewish Studies from UC Berkeley and the Graduate Theological Union, with a focus on Jewish-Christian relations, and has taught humanities and history of religion at Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and the Graduate Theological Union. He worked for 16 years in language and cultural preservation with the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs in Oregon, during which he participated in their traditional religious life. His interfaith experience also includes involvement with Jewish and Buddhist communities.
Islamic Networks Group
Henry Millstein is Programs Manager at Islamic Networks Group.
- Henry Millstein is deeply committed to building intercultural and interreligious understanding. His background includes both academic and experiential acquaintance with a variety of cultures and religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Native American traditions. In his current position at ING-Islamic Networks Group, he brings together his experience in moving across boundaries of faith and culture with his passion for peace, nonviolence, and social justice.
- Universität Tübingen, Altphilologie 1968 — 1969
- Reed College, B.A. , Classics , 1966 — 1970
- Carnegie Mellon University. M.F.A. , Playwriting , 1972 — 1974
- University of California, Berkeley, Ph.D. , Jewish Studies , 1998 — 2006 "My focal discipline was history, and my focal interest the relationship of Judaism and Christianity."
- Tribal linguist, Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs,(Non-Profit; Government Relations industry), September 1980 — August 1996 (
- I wrote and edited language teaching and reference materials, authored successful grant applications, oversaw development of the language teaching and preservation program, communicated with the public, and recruited and supervised teachers.
- Administrative Assistant, Local Economic Assistance Program, (Non-Profit Organization Management industry),September 1996 — May 1997 (9 months)
- Grant writer, Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival, (Education Management industry), April 2006 — June 2006 (3 months)
- I wrote a $174,900 grant application to the Administration for Native Americans.
- Verifier Gilardi & Co,(Privately Held; Legal Services industry), March 2006 — April 2010 (4 years 2 months)
- I was responsible for accuracy of the database compiled from submitted class action claim forms; I also did scanning and filing.
1997 May Day
In People's Weekly World, May Day Special Supplement, Section J, 1997 an advertisement was placed "Solidarity with workers everywhere in their struggles for a better life for all! from Northern California Friends of the People's Weekly World/Nuestri Mundo:
Signatories included Henry Millstein.
National Party Building Conference
Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12 PM – 6 PM EST
Join Communist Party activists and members in a national conference. You can register here https://tinyurl.com/ycdouk3y
The conference will take place November 11th to 12th to plan our work in the fight against the Trump Administration and its white supremacist ruling class backers. Find information here about how to participate. http://www.cpusa.org/2017-national-party-building-conference-resist-organize-vote-grow/
The conference will be streamed from Chicago to regional meetings in New Haven, Los Angeles, and Orlando. Whether you’re on the East Coast, West Coast, in the MIdwest or the South, you’ll be able to participate.
Those invited on Facebook included Henry Millstein.