- 1 North Americans in Support of Angola
- 2 IVI-IPO Activist
- 3 Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights Bicentennial Celebration
- 4 Progressive Chicago
- 5 Jack Siegel tribute
- 6 Committees of Correspondence connection
- 7 "Progressive Chicago" event
- 8 DSA endorsement
- 9 Honoring Frank Wilkinson
- 10 Crossroads Fund
- 11 External Links
- 12 References
North Americans in Support of Angola
In June 1980, Helen Shiller stood as a candidate for the position of at-large Delegate to the Board at the Annual Convention of the Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization.
In 1981 Helen Shiller was on the Board of Directors of Independent Voters of Illinois-Independent Precinct Organization.
Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights Bicentennial Celebration
Members had been allocated people to contact;
- Peter McLennon - Chui Garcia, Miguel Del Valle, Alice Palmer and Buzz Palmer, The Altged Group participants and John Steele.
- Dan Swinney - Carole Travis, UAW, Frank Lumpkin, Wisconsin Steel, Rev. Jim Reed, Methodist Church, Eddie Burke of the Teamsters.
- Carl Davidson - Slim Coleman, Helen Shiller, Don Weiner
- Madeline Talbott - South Suburban Action Conference
Others targeted for contact, but not assigned, included Clem Balanoff, Sue Purrington of NOW, Jane Ramsey at JCUA, Erlean Collins, Westside Black elected officials and PUSH, TWO and Joe Gardner's Project Hope.
Jack Siegel tribute
special guest included State Senator Jesus Garcia, Alderman Helen Shiller, Harold Rogers from the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, Carole Travis from the UAW, Larry Reagan from the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, Bernice Bild from the Coalition for New Priorities, Camille Odeh, from the Coalition of Palestinian Women and Meca Sorrentini from the Puerto Rican Socialist Party
Committees of Correspondence connection
- "Over 500 delegates and observers (including 140 from Chicago) attended the founding convention of the Committees of Correspondence (CoC) held here in Chicago in July.
New Ground reported that speakers…included Charles Nqukula, General Secretary of the South African Communist Party, Dulce Maria Pereira, a senatorial candidate of the Workers Party of Brazil, Angela Davis of CoC, Andre Brie of the Party of Democratic Socialism of Germany (a revamp of the old East German Communist Party). Guests during the Convention included Cook County Commissioner Danny Davis, Chicago Aldermen Helen Shiller and Rick Munoz, a representative of the Green Left Weekly of Australia and a representative of the Cuban Interest Section."
"Progressive Chicago" event
200 people attended a panel presentation on "The Progressive Potential of Chicago City Politics" December 8 1998 at the University of Chicago. The panelistsincluded Jackie Grimshaw, Alderman Toni Preckwinkle, Alderman Helen Shiller and Bernard Craighead. The event was sponsored by the University of Chicago Democratic Socialists of America Youth Section and the Hispanic Association for Cultural Expression and Recognition.
Honoring Frank Wilkinson
Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights organized a "Celebration of the The Dynamic Life of Frank Wilkinson (1914-2006)" on Sunday October 29, 2006. Wilkinson had been a leader of the Communist Party USA, the New American Movement and Democratic Socialists of America.
Honoring Committee members included Helen Shiller .
In 2007, Helen Shiller was an honorary host for the 25th Anniversary of the Crossroads Fund. The fund, founded in 1981 supports community organizations working on "issues of social and economic justice" in the Chicago area.
- Letter to all persons who attended the Angola Support Conference, July 8, 1976
- IVI-IPO Annual Convention Poster
- IVI-IPO Letterhead July 23 1981
- Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights Bicentennial Celebration Program, Nov. 10, 1991
- Progressive chicago report to K Kelleher October 27, 1993
- CoC newletter, Oct./Dec. 1993, page 5
- Chicago CoC "Membership, Subscription and Mailing List" 10.14.94
- Crossroads fund 2007 Annual Report page 33