Template:TOCnestleft Gilbert Achcar is a Lebanese academic, writer, and socialist. He is a Professor of Development Studies and International Relations at the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London.
- Gilbert Achcar "has degrees in Philosophy (ESL, Beirut), Social Sciences (UL, Beirut) and Social History/International Relations (University of Paris-VIII). He taught and/or researched in various universities and research centres in Beirut, Berlin and Paris. Gilbert's research interests and publication topics include: the political economy and sociology of globalisation, the global power structure and grand strategy, empire theory and the unfolding of US hegemony globally and in the ‘Broader Middle East’, politics and development economics of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa, the sociology of religion in general, of Islam and Islamic fundamentalism in particular, social change and social theory."
Gilbert Achcar was a proposed featured speaker of the Socialism 2018, an annual socialist gathering sponsored by the International Socialist Organization held in Chicago, Illinois in July 2018. Go to the main page of ISO Socialism Conference...
Signatory for the 'Stop Trump Coalition'
Gilbert Achcar signed a letter posted at The Guardian on February 1 2017 from the Stop Trump Coalition, "a coalition of organisations and individuals [who] joined forces to protest against Donald Trump’s planned visit to the UK.",
The letter read, in part:
- "We write to impress upon Theresa May and her government our opposition to US President Donald Trump being accorded a state visit or any official visit to this country. The US population has suffered more than a decade and a half of a fall in incomes, but billionaire Trump offers no solution to this problem.
- "Racism, sexism, misogyny, Islamophobia, antisemitism, homophobia, war mongering, climate change denial or policies designed to boost the wealth of the already super-rich should not be rewarded or celebrated in this country.
Quoted by promotional website for Socialism 2017 conference in Chicago, Illinois.
- "At long last, 'socialism' has stopped being a scarecrow in the USA: it is truly 'in the air,' increasingly and rightly connected in the minds of the young generation with the fight against the capitalist ogre and the promotion of the interests of the vast majority. Held every year in the heart of the USA, in a city that has been a major location of social struggle since the 19th century, 'Socialism' is a key forum for assessing the past of that struggle and brainstorming its future."
Spoke at Socialism 2016 Conference
Some of our Speakers at Socialism 2016 included:
- Adam Blueford
- Jeralynn Blueford
- Gilbert Achcar
- Mike Davis
- Barbara Ransby
- Sharon Smith
- Anthony Arnove
- Ian Angus
- Sam Farber
- Eli Friedman
- Justin Akers Chacon
- Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor
- Paul D'Amato
- Khury Petersen-Smith
- Amy Goodman
- Neil Davidson
- Lester Spence
- Jesse Hagopian
- Tithi Bhattacharya
- Brian Jones
- Alan Maass
- Nicole Colson
- Scott McLemee
- Donna Murch
- Bill Mullen
- Danny Katch
- Jennifer Roesch
- Jon Soske
- Ahmed Shawki
- Charlotte Bence
- John Riddell
- Bhaskar Sunkara
- Sherry Wolf
- Dave Zirin
- Dan Georgakas
- Marvin Surkin
A Radical Exploration of the Arab Uprisings
Gilbert Achcar is the author of "The People Want: A Radical Exploration of the Arab Uprisings," published in 2013.
Left Forum Advisory Board
In 2009 the Left Forum Advisory Board included Gilbert Achcar, Tariq Ali, Ashanti Alston, Anthony Arnove, Robin Blackburn, Barbara Bowen, Jack Bratich, Rose Brewer, Renate Bridenthal, Michael Brie, Stephen Brier, Stephen Eric Bronner, Paul Buhle, Joseph Buttigieg, Luciana Castellina, Angela Dillard, Stephen Duncombe, Hester Eisenstein, Barbara Epstein, Deepa Fernandes, Hector Figueroa, Harriet Fraad, Josh Freeman, Barbara Garson, Heather Gautney, Marvin Gettleman, Arun Gupta, Jack Hammond, David Harvey, Gerald Horne, Boris Kagarlitsky, Robin D. G. Kelley, Christine A. Kelly, Peter Kwong, Joanne Landy, Jesse Lemisch, Michael Lowy, Nivedita Majumdar, Manning Marable, Randy Martin, Liz Mestres, Susan O'Malley, Cathy Mulder, Leo Panitch, Christian Parenti, Thomas Ponniah, Barbara Ransby, Michael Ratner, Jan Rehmann, Gerardo Renique, Rainer Rilling, Colin Robinson, Nan Rubin, Roger Salerno, Stephen R. Shalom, Neil Smith, Richard Smith, Meredith Tax, Eleni Varikas, Victor Wallis, Joseph Wilson.
Sacramento Marxist School
- https://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff30529.php Gilbert Achcar, accessed December 30 2016
- Socialism Conference 2018 Socialism Conference 2018 (accessed July 23 2018)
- We stand together against Donald Trump’s toxic agenda, accessed July 12 2018
- Stop Trump Coalition Home Page, accessed July 12 2018
- Who we are, accessed July 12 2018
- https://www.socialismconference.org/ Join us at Socialism 2017!, accessed December 30 2016
- https://www.amazon.com/People-Want-Radical-Exploration-Uprising/dp/0520280512 The People Want: A Radical Exploration of the Arab Uprising, accessed December 30 2016