Evan Burchfield is a member of Portland Democratic Socialists of America.
DSA Socialist Feminists Call on Joe Biden to Drop Out
DSA Socialist Feminists Call on Joe Biden to Drop Out was a May 2020 letter to Joe Biden.
Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden stands accused of sexual assault. Members of the Democratic Socialists of America demand that he leave the race.
As socialists, we believe that the lessons of the #MeToo movement must not be forgotten. This movement challenged rape culture and upended myths about sexual violence and the credibility of survivors. For a short period, these issues were even embraced by many liberal politicians and commentators, as evidenced by the widespread support for Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford when she bravely spoke out about incumbent Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. #MeToo made previously tolerated behavior intolerable, and powerful men in numerous industries faced consequences for their misconduct....
Signatories included Evan Burchfield Portland Democratic Socialists of America.
Running for DSA leadership
In 2020 Evan Burchfield ran for Co-Chair Portland Democratic Socialists of America steering committee.
- My name is Evan Burchfield and I’m a Queer organizer, a Marxist, and fully committed to building DSA for the fights ahead.
- I’m running for co-chair because I want to see Portland DSA successfully organizing through 2020 and into the next year. I believe we will win our 2020 campaigns - UPNOW and Bernie - but we must be prepared for the future and jumpstart our organizing beyond the ballot box. Whether Bernie Sanders wins the Presidency or not, we will have to continue our fight for a better world. From Medicare for All and labor organizing to free Trimet and anti-imperialism, the work is not over and won’t be over after November. To win socialism in this country, we need to struggle against Capitalism in all its forms. And the only way we will succeed is through diligent, strategic organizing.
- I want to continue to foster an organizing culture in Portland DSA. I’m always impressed by the quality of organizers in our community who devote their lives - purely as volunteers - to building a socialist movement. I’m committed to the Big Tent approach to socialism, because I believe that our differences and disagreements make us stronger, and that we will need more than one tactic as we grow in size and power. As for my politics, I approach organizing from a Revolutionary Marxist perspective. Although the work we do in DSA takes many forms - electoral, mutual aid, dual power, working class demands, anti-imperialism, ecosocialism, et al. - all of these forms can show our community our principles, bring new people into the movement, and build power that challenges the state.
- In my two years with Portland DSA, I’ve led the Labor WG, worked on the Amazon campaign, helped form the Antifascist WG, the local Coalition to Close the Concentration Camps, and the Queer Caucus, and I attended the National DSA Convention as a delegate. I’m currently working on Universal Preschool NOW! (UPNOW) as acting field director, and serving as YDSA liaison. As External Organizing Co-Chair, I’ve connected organizers across WGs and campaigns, run quarterly Organizer Assemblies, and maintained contact with other organizations (both grassroots and establishment), always striving to connect our struggles.
- I hope that I can serve this community of organizers by representing you in public and strategizing with you in private. I hope you will join me in voting for Olivia Katbi Smith as my co-chair, whose leadership has brought us this far, and to whom I am grateful to call my comrade.