Esperanza Tervalon-Daumont is married to Christine Tervalon-Garrett.
"A letter from the movement to the movement'
In September 2019 Esperanza Tervalon-Garrett was one of 100 black leaders, many affiliated with Liberation Road who signed A letter from the movement to the movement defending Maurice Moe Mitchell and Nelini Stamp of the Working Families Party for endorsing Elizabeth Warren instead of Bernie Sanders for the Democratic Party presidential nomination.
In September 2008, the collaborative hired Esperanza Tervalon-Daumont as its first Executive Director. A year later, Jessamyn Sabbag joined the staff as the first Field Director. From 2009 until 2015, this dynamic team built the organizational base from a few thousand to 52,000 voters who supported progressive issues and policies -- a sizeable cohort comprising 20% of the electorate in Oakland. Organizational members also grew from four to nine during the period. Together, the collaborative won flagship policies at the local and state level. These included a minimum wage increase; a tenant protection ordinance; a landmark good jobs policy that included living wages, local hires, and job access for workers with disadvantages, prior incarceration, and other employment barriers; Prop 47, a state measure reallocating resources from incarceration to community-based re-entry services; and Proposition 30, a state measure that returned $6 billion into the state for critical services by raising taxes on the wealthiest Californians.
In 2015, founding Executive Director, Esperanza Tervalon-Garrett, transitioned out of the organization, replaced by long-time Deputy Director, Jessamyn Sabbag. With Jessamyn’s seven years of experience at Oakland Rising and a fresh team by her side, Oakland Rising further invested into our Values-Based Leadership programs aimed at cultivating local, grassroots leaders who are accountable to progressive, community values. Under her leadership, the staff size has more than doubled, and programs have expanded to include youth-specific voter engagement and training to build technology skills for organizers.
Ella Baker Center supporter
Bay Area New Priorities Campaign
Initiating signers, Bay Area New Priorities Campaign were;
- Aimee Allison, Host, KPFA Morning Show'
- Bob Brauer
- Mal Burnstein, California Democratic Party Progressive Caucus
- Jackie Cabasso, Western States Legal Foundation
- Attenio Davis, War Times
- Pamela Drake, Oakland Community Activist
- Michael Eisenscher, US Labor Against the War
- Arthur J. Hatchett, Greater Richmond Interfaith Program
- Jakada Imani, Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
- Sheila Jordan
- David Kakishiba, Oakland Board of Education
- Roger Kim, Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Jack Kurzweil, Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club
- Ying Lee, Grandmothers Against the War
- Antonio Medrano, West Contra Costa Board of Education.
- Grace Morizawa, Asian Americans for Peace & Justice
- Jon Rainwater, Peace-Action West
- Wilson Riles, Oakland Community Action Network
- Walter Riley, Attorney and Civil Rights Activist
- Myrna Schnur, Co-Convenor, Gray Panthers - East Bay
- Sandra Schwarz, American Friends Service Committee
- Norman Solomon, Progressive Democrats of America
- Esperanza Tervalon-Daumont, Oakland Rising
- James Vann, Oakland Community Activist
Oakland Rising 5 year birthday party
June 2013 Oakland Rising poster; ·
Our 5 year birthday party is just 10 days away! Do you have your ticket yet? — with Richard Raya, Nikki Fortunato Bas, Pamela Drake, Jahmese Kathleen Myres, Michael Riemenschneider, Andy Katz, Mimi Ho, Igor Tregub, Andy Kelley, Steven Pitts, Melanie Cervantes, Nicole Derse, Lailan Sandra Huen, Kim Carter Martinez, Nwamaka Agbo, Brooke Anderson, Mary Thomas, Kate O'Hara, Timmy Lu, Peggy Moore, Dani McClain, EO Okiwelu, Lanese Martin, Marc Philpart, Rebecca Saltzman, Alex T. Tom, Jose A. Dorado, Rachel Richman, Tonya Love, Sheryl Walton, Andrea Lee, Aimee Allison, Sharon Rose, Rebecca Kaplan, Esperanza Tervalon-Garrett, Cole B. Cole, Jessamyn Sabbag, Malcolm Amado Uno, Phil Hutchings, Michelle Matos and Maria Poblet.
Key Bay Area comrades
Chelsea Boilard February 9 2014 :
Bay Area Rising!
Chelsea Boilard March 20, 2015 ·
Bay Area Rising! #building #wearethechange — with Robbie Clark, Christine Tervalon-Garrett, Esperanza Tervalon-Garrett, Jahmese Kathleen Myres, Jessamyn Sabbag, Adam Gold, Fabiana Ochoa, Neva Walker, N'Tanya Lee, Antonio Diaz, Maria Poblet, Emily Ja-ming Lee, Ayoka Turner, Timmy Lu, Linda Lee and Mario Yedidia.
- http://www.ellabakercenter.org/index.php?p=ebc_supporters_2009 Ella Baker Center website: 2009 Supporters] (accessed on March 28, 2010)
- Priorities Campaign website, initiating signers, accessed September 1, 2011