Our caucus is a group of NYC-DSA members who’ve come together around a shared set of principles and an approach toward building a red New York. Our arrival at these has been a slow process, which began around the 2018 citywide convention, where our chapter was turning toward the challenge of deciding what to do with two years of enormous growth. We saw a considerable amount of internal organization by comrades towards specific visions for the chapter which we didn’t share; we also saw spirited, if not particularly well-organized, arguments for another way, and some small success in winning people toward it. Those of us drawn to “another way” decided we needed to get together and articulate that vision more fully, so we could find more members with whom to work towards collectively achieving it.
Over the past year, we’ve engaged in the deliberate process of developing this perspective more fully. We’re a pluralistic group, coming to socialist politics from a variety of angles to synthesize an approach toward building the city, and world, we want. We, like most DSA members, came to socialist politics from a variety of paths. No one event, set of circumstances, or specific ideology brought us all together. The past decade and a half has contained a long sequence of radicalizing moments: The anti-Iraq War movement, the ‘08 financial crisis, Occupy, the Movement for Black Lives, the 2016 Bernie Sanders campaign, Standing Rock, Trump, the travel ban, Trans bans, Charlottesville, teachers uprisings, the migrant exodus, and many more struggles led us to this organization. And those many struggles are all key to the construction of a new class politics and the building of a mass movement for liberation. In Emerge, we seek to sustain the momentum of these struggles and build a movement toward a communist horizon.
For the past year, we have worked diligently to discover and articulate this vision into concrete projects from what was only a nascent affinity. We would like to have your voices added to this conversation and shape a radical vision for a Red New York. is a caucus of New York City Democratic Socialists of America members building a red New York City.
Socialists and the Uprising Against Racism!
DSA Emerge July 7 2020.
🖥👀 #ICYMI: DSA Emerge comrades recently participated in this critical discussion on Socialists and the Uprising Against Racism!
DSA Emerge comrades include Natalia, Cinzia Arruzza, Dan La Botz, Brian B., Walter Daum, Bill, Zach Sutter, Joseph Allen, Linda Loew, Charles Post, Justin Charles, Sam Farber, Vassiki Chauhan, Jason Schulman, Tim Goulet, Joan Parkin, Luis Meiners, Mel Bienenfeld, Haley Pessin, Natalia Tylim, Todd Chretien.
WHO WE ARE
- Jen James, Bronx/Upper Manhattan, Central Brooklyn
- John White, Bronx/Upper Manhattan
- Natalie A., Bronx/Upper Manhattan
- Theo E., Bronx/Upper Manhattan
- Tiffany Berruti, Bronx/Upper Manhattan
- Tatyana Zinger, Lower Manhattan
- Jonathan Bailey, Queens
- Rose Sayre, Queens
- Adam K., North Brooklyn
- Alex Burgos, North Brooklyn
- Brendan O'Connor, North Brooklyn, Labor
- Charlotte Albrecht, North Brooklyn
- Eva Lucia, North Brooklyn
- Jamie Peck, North Brooklyn
- Justin Charles., North Brooklyn, Labor
- Michael M., North Brooklyn
- Tawny Tidwell, North Brooklyn
- Stephanie Monohan, South Brooklyn
- Alice B., Central Brooklyn
- Ashley P., Central Brooklyn
- Daniel B., Central Brooklyn
- Elijah Stevens, Central Brooklyn
- Elizabeth Fetterolf, Central Brooklyn
- Jack Devine, Central Brooklyn
- James T., Central Brooklyn
- Jordan Brown, Central Brooklyn
- Landry Levine, Central Brooklyn
- M. Larson, Central Brooklyn
- Madi Mornhinweg, Central Brooklyn
- Marvin Gonzalez, Central Brooklyn, Labor
- Nik S., Central Brooklyn
- Rosa Palmeri, Central Brooklyn
- Willie Johnson, Central Brooklyn, Labor