Dion Martin is a New Zealand activist.
Contact for Philippines anti Bases activist tour
Cora Fabros, from the Philippines, is a veteran activist with the anti-bases, anti-nuclear and peace movement. She is the Asia/Pacific Coordinator of the International Network for the Abolition of Foreign Military Bases.
- NZ hosts a US military transport base (at Christchurch Airport); and two “New Zealand” spybases, at Tangimoana and Waihopai. NZ’s role as a small, but vital, US satellite must be exposed, and the covert links ended. Cora’s tour provides the regional context for how we aid and abet the US military and intelligence empire.
Cheques were to be made payable to the Anti-Bases Campaign.
US Embassy letter/Cuban 5
On 6 April 2009 US Embassy in Wellington refused to accept a hand delivered letter from MPs, City Councillors, trade unionists, church leaders,academics and other New Zealanders calling on the US Government not to oppose the petition to the US Supreme Court for the release of the Cuban 5.
An attempt to deliver the letter was made by Wellington City Councillor, Ray Ahipene-Mercer and Secretary of the Weliington Cuba Friendship Society Gillian Magee but US Embassy Guards said they would not accept a hand delivered letter.
- Dear Attorney General Holder
- We, the undersigned New Zealanders are writing this letter to you on the eve of the US Government submitting a brief in response to the 30 January 09 petition to the Supreme Court and the twelve separate amicus curiae briefs that were filed in the US Supreme Court on 6 March 2009 regarding the unjust incarceration of five Cuban citizens - Gerardo Hernández Nordelo, René González Sehweret, Ramón Labañino Salazar, Antonio Guerrero Rodríguez and Fernando González Llort - known as the Cuban 5.
- We urge the United States Government to acknowledge that a complete miscarriage of justice has taken place regarding the Cuban 5 and to support, rather than oppose, a review of the conviction by the Supreme Court. We urge you to immediately release the Cuban 5.
Signatories included Dion Martin, National Distribution Union.
Contact for Philippines communist tour
Luis Jalandoni is the International Representative of the National Democratic Front of the Philippines, a coalition of several underground groups, led by the Communist Party of the Philippines and its terrorist New People’s Army.
On a 2010 tour of New Zealand Luis Jalandoni was accompanied by his wife Coni Ledesma, International Spokesperson of MAKIBAKA, a revolutionary women’s group which belongs to the NDF.
- Luis and Coni are both veteran leading figures in the Philippine revolutionary Left.
- When Ferdinand Marcos declared martial law in 1972, both went underground. They were both arrested and spent time as political prisoners.
Contact for their November 1 – Palmerston North Public Meeting, was Dion Martin.
- [http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0805/S00306/the-global-spread-of-us-military-bases.htm, SCOOP,The Global Spread Of US Military Bases Tuesday, 20 May 2008, 2:39 pm Press Release: Anti Bases Campaign]
- SCOOP, US Embassy Refuses Letter From MPs. Crs. Unionists Tuesday, 7 April 2009, 9:36 am Press Release: NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- Fightback, Filipino progressive leaders to tour NZ Oct/Nov OCTOBER 13, 2010