Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal
Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal July 25 2021:
BloNo DSA returned to in-person meetings with a virtual option this month! For those who couldn't make it, we reflected on the importance of personal & collective wellness & celebrated the newly elected & appointed leaders:
- Afro-Socialist Caucus leaders Sonny Garcia, Trevin Gaffney, Abdul-Malik Roman, Robert Garcia, Anntionetta Rountree & Doniven Hill-Bush.
- Wellness committee HGO's: Neal C. Iden, Katie Hoy, Jordan Norton & Sonny Garcia.
- PR Officer: Krystle Able
- New exec officers: Sarah Hurley Treasurer, Anakin Fox Secretary, Louis Goseland Co-chair.
The Afrosocialists and Socialists of Color Caucus made their first steps into the Bloomington-Normal community July 2021 but plans to spend the next several months working to build their base to become a resource, as an extension of the Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal.
“With AFROSOC, I see it as a way that we can move forward to actually improve the community through community-based activities and a community-based focus on giving the people what they’re asking for,” said Anthony Overton, a founding member of the caucus.
The caucus, which was part of a national DSA initiative, was established this spring. It stands independently from the local DSA chapter but has access to all of the DSA’s resources, “just as a space for socialists of color that are members to have their own organizing space pretty much and feel safe within that community,” said Sonny Garcia, one of the caucus’s volunteer organizers.
“For the next six to 12 months, we’re just going to be focusing on base building and we’re going to be doing that through community outreach events like we had Saturday … followed by political education,” Garcia said. “It’s definitely not an overnight process. This is going to take years to really honestly build this organization to have the capacity to have the power to influence our local elected officials to pass laws and ordinances or what have you that actually help the people in the community.”
Overton said the main reason he was interested in AFROSOC even though he is not a Bloomington-Normal DSA member was because he hopes to engage with members of the community who have become disenfranchised with the political system.
“At the end of the day, regardless of who somebody supports, I just simply want people to make educated informed choices,” he said, noting the caucus’ focus on political education. “The political process is confusing at best and terribly muddled at worst. … I think we can help out low-income communities understand the political process and help improve the quality of their lives in their areas.”
In 2021 Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal ran a People's slate for Bloomington City Council.
- Bloomington-Normal DSA (of which Illinois State YDSA is affiliated) is competing for a majority on the Bloomington City Council as well as the mayorship in the upcoming elections. 
Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal September 2 2019·
With Adam Heenan.
DSA's Socialist Social!
DSA's Socialist Social! Public · Hosted by Bloomington-Normal Democratic Socialists of America
Friday, April 20 at 6 PM - 8 PM
517 N Main St, Bloomington, Illinois 61701
Invited on Facebook
- Jennifer Carrillo
- Margaret Jett
- Matthew Springer
- Aaron Watson
- Julie Hudson
- Andrew Pfannkuche
- Jeffrey Higgins
- Rachelle Stivers
- Becca Maree
- Cassidy Creighton
- Don Necessary
- Zoe Schmidt
- Joel Garth Studebaker
- Melle Hany
- Andrew Tyson Higgins
- Adam Heenan
- Stefen Robinson
- Ethan Babin
- Trevor Rickerd
- Lauren Pruter
- Rachel Shively
- Jen Morsch
- Michelle Hunt
- Noah Tang
- Emily Webb
- Will Kay
- Jeanna Campbell
- Zach Barr
- Kevin Mesouani Lindsay
DSA Bloomington-Normal Chapter Organizing Group
Democratic Socialists of America Bloomington-Normal Chapter Organizing Group Closed Facebook Group, accessed November 6, 2017.
- Joel Garth Studebaker, Illinois State.
- Jen Morsch, Jewelry designer/creatrix at Jewels for the Journey
- Archana Shekara, Associate Professor of Graphic Design at Illinois State University
- Sarah Grammer, Normal, Illinois
- Joshua Sutter, Owner at The Small Biz, LLC
- Max Simpkins
- Johnna Darragh Ernst, Bloomington, Illinois
- Alejandro Enriquez
- Will Kay, Illinois State University
- Karla Chandler-Huffman, Works at Heartland Community College
- Nancy Cicinelli, Illinois State University
- Melle Hany
- Lily Sherer, Heartland Community College
- Juliet Lynd, Bloomington, Illinois
- Lauren Kathleen, Works at Hany-Cardozo Homestead
- Jeanna Campbell, Illinois State University
- Jessielee Hinshaw, Badger High School