Dawn Phillips is Executive Director of the Right to the City Alliance. Prior to coming on as Executive Director in January 2016, she served as the Board Chair.
Dawn Phillips has been an organizer engaged in a range of social, economic and environmental justice organizations and fights in the Bay Area and nationally for over 20 years. He is currently the Co-Director of Programs at Causa Justa/Just Cause, a Bay Area membership organization focused on community development, housing and immigrant justice issues. CJJC builds grassroots power and community leadership through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, direct action and movement building. CJJC strives to improve conditions both in the neighborhoods we organize in and regionally, as well as to contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change. Dawn leads the local, regional and national policy campaign work for the organization and was lead author on CJJC’s report “Development Without Displacement: Resisting Gentrification in the Bay Area”. This was a study on the impacts of gentrification and displacement on working class communities of color, which included policy recommendations for addressing these issues. Dawn serves as Chair of the Steering Committee of the Right to the City Alliance, a formation of almost 40 community organizations based in 13 cities around the country. The alliance is dedicated to building a strong housing and urban justice movement nationally and internationally through an urban human rights framework and agenda. Causa Justa/Just Cause is a founding member of the Right to the City Alliance.
Movement Activist Apprenticeship Program
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Dawn Phillips was among those on the list. 
Left Forum 2015
Whose City? Our City! Fighting Gentrification in the U.S. & Europe Sponsored by: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung--New York Office
- Rachel LaForest Chair, Right to the City Alliance, Executive Director
- Dawn Phillips Causa Justa/Just Cause, Program Co-Director
- Santi Mas de Xaxas PAH, Plataforma de Afectados por la Hipoteca, Barcelona
- Florian Kasiske Recht auf Stadt/Right to the City, Germany
Right to the City
In 2010 Right to the City gave thanks and appreciation to the hard work of outgoing Steering Committee members: Denise Perry, Dawn Phillips, and Rickke Mananzala. At the 2010 U.S. Social Forum, the membership elected a new Steering Committee, consisting of: Anita Sinha, Advancement Project; Jon Liss, Tenants and Workers United/Virginia New Majority; Kalila Barnett, Alternatives for Community and Environment; Alicia Garza, POWER; Mark Swier, Mothers On The Move; Eileen Ma, Korean Immigrant Workers Association; Yvette Thierry, Safe Streets Strong Communities; Gihan Perera, Miami Worker Center/Florida New Majority; and Leonardo Vilchis, Union De Vecinos.Dawn Phillips has been Chair of the Steering Committee of the Right to the City Alliance.
RTTC Regional Contacts 2014
Right to the City Regional Contacts 2014.
- Boston/Providence – Soledad Lawrence, City Life/Vida Urbana
- DC Metro – Jon Liss, Tenants and Workers United
- Los Angeles – Gilda Haas, Strategic Actions for a Just Economy
- Miami – Gihan Perera, Miami Workers Center
- New Orleans – Rosana Cruz, Safe Streets/Strong Communities
- New York City – Rickke Mananzala, FIERCE
- SF Bay Area – Dawn Phillips, Causa Justa/Just Cause Oakland
- Chinatown Alliance – Helena Wong, CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
10 year celebrations
Right to the City Alliance September 25, 2017
Mark Swier June 5, 2017 ·
AYO Come celebrate #RTC10 with the Right to the City Alliance party freaks on June 23!! Go here: bit.ly/RTC10Tix — with Mike Dennis, Gilda Haas, Camilo Sol Zamora, Cynthia Strathmann, Tony Romano, Dawn Phillips, Sacajawea Hall and Darnell Johnson.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those invited, on Facebook included Dawn Phillips.
DSA Facebook group
Members of the California Democratic Socialists of America, statewide Facebook group, as of October 10, 2017 included Dawn Phillips.
- Just cause staff, accessed November 2015
- Center for Third World Organizing website: Alumni Network (accessed on Aug. 16, 2010)
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015
- RIGHT TO THE CITY ALLIANCE, MONDAY, JANUARY 3, 2011 The Right To The City Alliance: Year 2010 at a Glance By Anita Sinha
- http://righttothecity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/FundersGuide.pdf RTTC Funders Guide, 2014]
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109