Daphne Lawless is a New Zealand activist.
In September 2000, at the Victoria University UNIQ AGM James Schmidt was elected President; Daphne Lawless was elected Secretary; James Cleaves continues as Publicity Officer; Fionnaigh McKenzie was elected Education Officer; Mark Williams was elected Treasurer; and Corry Joseph was elected Volunteers Officer.
The UniQ Annual Report was presented at the AGM by President Regan Andrew, with a financial report presented by Treasurer [Richard Dagger].
2001 - Secretary, Victoria UNIQ.
March 2003, Lawless had 2 articles in Socialist Worker Review No 5, 'The system discriminates' against gays and lesbians
2004 - on editorial team Socialist Worker Monthly Review.
2004 Campus Left is a broad coalition of leftist and socialist staff and students at Victoria University of Wellington. We are supported by activists from Socialist Worker and the Alliance Party . This leaflet was written by Daphne Lawless and Anna Potts.
On July 2, 2005, a Steering Committee of 20 - emerged from a Workers Charter meeting. Held in Auckland, those in attendance were (in alphabetical order) :
- Rachel Asher
- Paul Carrucan
- Cathy Casey
- Luke Coxon
- Stuart Fancy
- Cecil Fowler
- Roger Fowler
- Jennifer Francis
- Chrissy Holland
- Robyn Hughes
- Maria Humphries
- Daphne Lawless
- Matt McCarten
- Grant Morgan
- Pat O'Dea
- Sam Quayle
- Melody Shinnock
- Mike Treen
- Elaine West
2005, 22nd October, a Workers Charter conference was held at Trades Hall, 147 Great North Road, Grey Lynn from 10am to 5pm. The media are warmly welcomed to attend. There will be a Media Conference at 12.30 on the day (lunchtime at the conference) which will be hosted by Luke Coxon and Daphne Lawless (co-chairs of the Conference) and John Minto and Matt McCarten (spokespeople for the Conference Working Group).
Workers Charter conference
The Workers Charter Movement was the embryo of a new left wing political party, modeled on the successful British “Respect” coalition and the less successful Australian Socialist Alliance. It was also a co-ordinating body for militant union trade union activity. The “movement” published a “Workers Charter” newspaper.
- This Saturday, 7th October, starts 11am
Auckland Trades Hall 147 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn
- 11 – 11.10am Welcome from chair (Daphne Lawless).
- 11.10am – 12.30pm – Workers Charter, a paper for the movement – introduced by John Minto (editorial) & Bronwyn Summers (financial).
- 1.30 – 3pm – Unions in the 21st century – intro by Laila Harre (NDU), Andrew Little (EPMU), Sue Bradford (Green MP), Mengzhu (Radical Youth) and Joe Carolan (unionist & socialist).
- 3.15 – 4pm – Human Rights for Workers campaign – introduced by Vaughan Gunson (unionist & socialist) and Eliana Darroch (Radical Youth).
- 4pm – 4.30 pm – Graham Matthews, Australian unionist.
- 4.30 – 4.45pm – election of expanded, national editorial board of Workers Charter paper.
- 4.45 – 5.30pm – Climaction Day (4 November) to build a campaign for System Change, Not Climate Change. Speaker(s) to be confirmed.
Socialist Worker’s central committee
- Bernie Hornfeck
- Bronwen Beechey
- Daphne Lawless
- David Colyer
- Don Archer
- Grant Brookes
- Grant Morgan
- Len Parker
- Peter Hughes
- Vaughan Gunson