Dan Canon, a Louisville lawyer who is best known for helping win the right of same-sex marriage in Kentucky, announced his first political run. He has lived in the district for 30 years and currently resides in New Albany with his wife and two daughters.
Canon listed his priorities as "good-paying jobs, a safe place to live, quality, affordable education and healthcare that doesn't leave us bankrupt" in a press release.
"These are things that matter most to regular people. But our current representative isn't working on those issues," Canon said in the release. "He's an opportunistic multi-millionaire who came to Indiana just to buy a seat in Congress."
Southern Indiana DSA endorsement
Meeting with DSA
Louisville endorsed candidates 2018
Democratic Socialists of America - Louisville, January 27, 2018;
- Louisville DSA’s endorsed candidates will be hard at work again today trying to win their elections. If you can, please take time to volunteer and help them out:
- Canon For Indiana: Dan Canon’s campaign will be having a day of action in Seymour, IN
- Richard Becker for State Representative: Richard Becker’s campaign will be canvassing in Kentucky’s 35th District in Louisville:
- Ryan Fenwick for Mayor: Ryan Fenwick’s campaign will be canvassing in Louisville’s Oakdale neighborhood: 
From Louisville DSA’s Facebook Page:
- "We are proud to have endorsed Dan Canon in his bid for Indiana’s 9th Congressional District. Dan is a genuinely principled person who is not afraid to challenge the capitalist ruling class. He’s taken a series of bold stances during his run for office, supporting everything from Medicare for All and a jobs guarantee to BDS and the abolition of ICE. He frequently quotes Eugene Debs and recently described himself as an anti-capitalist in an interview. Dan is a friend to our chapter and our members have been individually supporting before he announced his run. If you’re in Southern Indiana today, please vote for Dan Canon."
DSA: Southern Indiana Chapter
Members of the Southern Indiana Democratic Socialists of America Closed Facebook Group, February 25, 2018 included Dan Canon. Added by Loren Miller on January 26, 2018, Attorney at Clay Daniel Walton & Adams PLC.
Dan Canon is currently representing a group of protesters— Kashiya Nwanguma, Molly Shah, and Henry Brousseau —who say they were attacked at a Louisville Trump rally in March 2016 and are suing the president for allegedly inciting the violence by telling his supporters to “get ‘em out of here.” Judges have yet to decide whether the suit, which was brought before the election, can go forward; 
Dan Canon IN 09 was endorsed by Justice Democrats for 2018.